Grundy Collector Car Insurance Experiences?

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Does anyone here insure there car(s) through them? Experiences?

Thinking about going with them to insure my Cobra's. These are weekend/summer toys and I just don't drive them enough to justify the price of State Farm, All State etc. My record is been perfect for 15+ years and i still get completely screwed on insurance prices primarily because i live in Michigan.

I am open to other collector car companies as well.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I have Grundy for three years now. Gave them the stats on the car, they agreed on my value and haven't heard anything from them, other than a bill, once a year. I have a friend with a mint 55 Chevy that got hit. Grundy paid to have it fixed, no questions asked.

Andrew97Cobra

Established Member
I have an agreed value policy with American Modern Insurance on my '97 Cobra and I've been with them for about 15 years. Once they approved the car at the start, it's only been a matter of paying the bill once a year and no other issues or inquiries from their side.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have always been concerned with the fine print in the collector car contracts. Granted you need to understand the fine print in the State Farm contract as well.

As I recall, you cannot make normal errand runs with Grundy. Like if you stop at the grocery store and it gets hit you are not covered kind of thing. Not sure how they would prove this but it gave my pause. That is what a Grundy rep told me at a good Guys car show a couple of years back. I did not see the fine print so this may be incorrect.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had Grundy on my 03 cobra for awhile now. I recently talked to them about insuring a foxbody mustang if I ever find one. It will be in a storage unit, which they said is fine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have always been concerned with the fine print in the collector car contracts. Granted you need to understand the fine print in the State Farm contract as well.

As I recall, you cannot make normal errand runs with Grundy. Like if you stop at the grocery store and it gets hit you are not covered kind of thing. Not sure how they would prove this but it gave my pause. That is what a Grundy rep told me at a good Guys car show a couple of years back. I did not see the fine print so this may be incorrect.

this. I pay more with Hagerty because Grundy said I wasnt covered if I take the car to work on a Saturday now and then.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had Grundy Insurance for about 4 years now.
Never any issues. I get a bill well before the next payment is due, (They want the full payment for the year at once), and I'm done for the year. I have a 43K agreed value on my Mustang. I'm pretty sure there is no limited mileage per year. MUST have a daily driver and MUST have the vehicle insured with Grundy garaged when not in use.
I don't think you can take your vehicle to work or the store, but I thought I had read somewhere that may have changed. You need to check on that if you plan to do this. I personally don't leave my car unattended, so not an issue for me.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Grundy for three years now. Gave them the stats on the car, they agreed on my value and haven't heard anything from them, other than a bill, once a year. I have a friend with a mint 55 Chevy that got hit. Grundy paid to have it fixed, no questions asked.

I have an agreed value policy with American Modern Insurance on my '97 Cobra and I've been with them for about 15 years. Once they approved the car at the start, it's only been a matter of paying the bill once a year and no other issues or inquiries from their side.

I've had Grundy on my 03 cobra for awhile now. I recently talked to them about insuring a foxbody mustang if I ever find one. It will be in a storage unit, which they said is fine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

this. I pay more with Hagerty because Grundy said I wasnt covered if I take the car to work on a Saturday now and then.

Thanks for the reply guys. I will look into Hagerty and AMI as well.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I needed to show proof of a daily driver, a locked garage and current mileage. A collector car is not to be used as a DD or for a grocery store or church run. No problem going to car related functions such as shows, cruises or a garage for repairs or maintenance. Now, if you should stop on the way to/from one of these functions and pick up a sammich, that's the chance you take. This is why the rates are so reasonable.

noco5.0

Established Member
I have Grundy on my Hellcat. For me they were almost 50 percent cheaper than any of the other collector car companies. I never take my car to work (company vehicle) and don't typically run errands in it, so for me the savings was worth the restrictions.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had Grundy Insurance for about 4 years now.
Never any issues. I get a bill well before the next payment is due, (They want the full payment for the year at once), and I'm done for the year. I have a 43K agreed value on my Mustang. I'm pretty sure there is no limited mileage per year. MUST have a daily driver and MUST have the vehicle insured with Grundy garaged when not in use.
I don't think you can take your vehicle to work or the store, but I thought I had read somewhere that may have changed. You need to check on that if you plan to do this. I personally don't leave my car unattended, so not an issue for me.

Mileage isn't a big issue. I only put about 1.5-2k a year on each. The agreed upon value and cheaper rate is what I am after. The only issue is if I cannot drive either to work in the summers on Friday. I usually do that if its nice outside. Its the only place where either would be left unattended but its a gated lot and I have a clear view from my office window. Ill just have to look at there policy closely along with the others

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mileage isn't a big issue. I only put about 1.5-2k a year on each. The agreed upon value and cheaper rate is what I am after. The only issue is if I cannot drive either to work in the summers on Friday. I usually do that if its nice outside. Its the only place where either would be left unattended but its a gated lot and I have a clear view from my office window. Ill just have to look at there policy closely along with the others
Definitely see what they have to say. I'll tell you I pay $435 a year for a 43K agreed value on my Roush. That's really inexpensive. It's worth a call/email.
Good luck!

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys. I will look into Hagerty and AMI as well.

I have had grundy for two years and so far it’s been great. The price is cheaper for 3 cars than when I had haggerty for just two cars. Haggerty seemed over priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hagerty is a little over double Grundy but I can take my car to work on nice days here and there, stop at the store etc... and not risk being stuck with the choice to suck it up or commit insurance fraud. I’m sure I waste ~$500 on dumber shit

I did get a cheaper quote from, can’t remember from who but they would only give me 30k coverage when I have 50k now

VegasMichael

Established Member
I had good luck with Hagerty when I had my Shelby. $750 a year for full coverage with a limit of 3000 miles per annum.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Hagerty here, for better part of 10 years (dont remember exactly). No mileage restrictions, and was even able to add our 18 year old to the policy for very little extra, so he can drive all but 2 of them.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I’ve always wondered about hagerty. But also would have to compare the annual cost. My car sits for 6months a year on storage insurance which is dirt cheap.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I remember a member here had Hagerty and after a few instances where they declined road side he switched to Grundy. Would be interested to hear his thoughts on this again.

Id save a ton of cash going with one of these guys. Part of my issue is that where I work is where i would work on my car. Also, Im going to be very clearly making the car faster. And it wont be to sit in the garage like that on the weekend...

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had Grundy for about 9 years with my two 03/04 Cobras and 95 Cobra R. My rides were also weekend/summer vehicles. Never had any issues or claims and they had great rates. When I got my 2014 GT500 I ended up with Heacock Classic collector insurance. They had better pricing than Grundy for my Shelby in NJ. Been using collector car insurance since the mid 90's with my 93 Cobra and 93 Cobra R. Used only Grundy and the old Parish motorsports insurance over those years before Parish became Heacock.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I had Grundy for about 9 years with my two 03/04 Cobras and 95 Cobra R. My rides were also weekend/summer vehicles. Never had any issues or claims and they had great rates. When I got my 2014 GT500 I ended up with Heacock Classic collector insurance. They had better pricing than Grundy for my Shelby in NJ. Been using collector car insurance since the mid 90's with my 93 Cobra and 93 Cobra R. Used only Grundy and the old Parish motorsports insurance over those years before Parish became Heacock.
Holy balls, just read through Heacock's offered services and they offer racing coverage for groups... I wonder if they offer Friday night drag coverage

Users who are viewing this thread