gt 500 eaton on lightning?

pabaker

Established Member
What benefit would there be to switching the stock eaton with one off of a shelby? Would it be an easy swap.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The MAIN (not only) advantage would be that you have better flowing heads since you need the 4-valve heads to work with the stock Shelby supercharger.

LightningLou

Established Member
The intake on the gt500 tvs is completely different and the mounting is a lot different and it would not work without many, many different mods and by the time your finished it would be more worthwhile and less costly to pick up a whipple or kenne bell. On the other hand, I heard Charles from Magnum Powers is working on getting a tvs swap lightnings. Whether the power gains and costs are wortth it over a twin screw on 2v heads we'll have to see... :)

steeltoe

Established Member
The GT500 Eaton is a Gen 5 not a TVS. Could the rotor pack fit in our Eaton? Its not uncommon for GTP guys to put M112 rotors in a M90 case. I can't remember if they port the case or not.

Last edited:

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
The GT500 Eaton is a Gen 5 not a TVS. Could the rotor pack fit in our Eaton? Its not uncommon for GTP guys to put M112 rotors in a M90 case. I can't remember if they port the case or not.

wish i woulda known that 6 months ago i had a s/c riviera same shit different car

steeltoe

Established Member
wish i would have known that about 5 years ago. i had a gtp...

wish i woulda known that 6 months ago i had a s/c riviera same shit different car

The only problem Ive heard them having is it builds a shit ton of heat but that falls on GM for making them non-intercooled. So putting the larger rotor pack in our blowers if it works would work better then the GTP guys because we have intercoolers

ecoastkid

Established Member
I asked Steig if a set of TVS rotors could be retrofited into our cases...Talk about stealth!!! Unfortunatly, I received no anwsers...I also couldnt find info on the size of the rotors, both width and length...

steeltoe

Established Member
I asked Steig if a set of TVS rotors could be retrofited into our cases...Talk about stealth!!! Unfortunatly, I received no anwsers...I also couldnt find info on the size of the rotors, both width and length...

The Gen 5 case would be a better choice. Which is what most newer MP blowers are. I believe the production Lightning case is a Gen 4 case.

RedFox

Established Member
The Gen 5 case would be a better choice. Which is what most newer MP blowers are. I believe the production Lightning case is a Gen 4 case.

You are right.

The TVS Eaton 6th generation is a completely different animal, incorporating many of the improvements found on twin screws with advantages in long-term reliability, heat reduction and they don't fall off at high boost.

I saw a test here where a TVS on a GT-500 with the same pulley gained 4psi and over 100hp.

If Charles comes out with a Lightning TVS, I'm getting it.

Last edited:

RedFox

Established Member

steeltoe

Established Member
I'll save you a lot of trouble. It doesn't work or at least the results are very questionalble. The T-Bird SC guys have pushed this to the limit.

All the info. on this that you can imagine. Pull up a chair.

M90 vs. M112 discussion - Super Coupe Club of America Forums

Super Coupe Club of America Forums - Search Results

You cant really compare what the Thunderchicken do to what a GTP can do. But the major problem with the 112 rotors in a 90 case is it produces a lot of heat and GTPs arent intercooled so that is a problem. So there theory put into practice on a lightning or cobra would work better. I tried to find the specs for the M112 and the M122 to see about size of the case and the rotor pack. If you were to try to put a TVS rotor pack in a M112 case. It would have to be an R1900(1.9L).

RedFox

Established Member
You cant really compare what the Thunderchicken do to what a GTP can do. But the major problem with the 112 rotors in a 90 case is it produces a lot of heat and GTPs arent intercooled so that is a problem. So there theory put into practice on a lightning or cobra would work better. I tried to find the specs for the M112 and the M122 to see about size of the case and the rotor pack. If you were to try to put a TVS rotor pack in a M112 case. It would have to be an R1900(1.9L).

I know nothing about the GTP but I have 2 SCs including one with a fully built engine over 400hp.

If you read my first link, the guys get real technical, but the problem is the length of the rotors on the M112 combined with the angle of the rotors resulting in a significant loss of afficiency over 14,000rpms. Lightning and Cobra guys have confirmed this over and over again. Some are spinning the M90 over 25,000 with excellent results. Although I think this is crazy.

The Eaton generation 1-5 were evolutionary but the generation 6 TVS is a complete different animal.

""Eaton’s new Twin Vortices Series (TVS) is a roots-type supercharger for a variety of engine applications that delivers more power and better fuel economy in a smaller package, for uncompromising, high-performance driving.

The TVS supercharger’s patented design features four-lobe rotors and high-flow inlet and outlet ports that greatly enhance thermal efficiency, deliver higher volumetric capacity, and enable higher operating speeds. The TVS supercharger is capable of running with a high thermal efficiency (up to 76 percent) across a very wide operating range.

The improvements incorporated into the TVS design allow for the use of a smaller supercharger, reducing the package size and weight of the system. The sizes range from 350cc to 2300cc per revolution, and cover engines from 0.6 liter up to large displacement V-engines. All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent, which enables more compact packaging and greater output.

The twin four-lobe rotors feature 160-degree twists. The higher helix angle of the rotors coupled with a redesigned inlet and outlet ports, improves the TVS’s air-handling characteristics without increasing the overall size of the unit. The TVS improved noise and vibration characteristics eliminate additional noise-reduction treatments, complexity and system cost.

Good article:

"
"The differences between the M122 and the TVS lie in the virtual efficiency of the four-lobe TVS design. That design compares very favorably to other boosting technology out there. The key advantage the TVS has, though, is that it supplies a higher volume of airflow with better efficiency and less heat."

"The internal air velocity management allows for much greater thermal efficiency, which means less work is being done to the air during compression," agrees Dunai. "The Fifth-Gen has maximum thermal efficiencies in the 60-percent range, while the TVS sees maximum thermal efficiency in the 70- to 75-percent range, and over a much larger operating range of pressure ratios and flow. However, peak efficiencies don't tell the whole story, because true improvements from the TVS are evident in its dramatically increased operating range. The TVS still has 70-percent thermal efficiency in regions that a similarly sized Fifth-Generation can't even operate.

The new lower intake manifold laid right down in the intake galley.
The TVS is actually assembled by Roush for Eaton. Eaton supplies the internals, while Roush casts, builds, and bench-tests the superchargers.
The magic of the TVS comes in three major areas: the inlet and outlet ports, and the rotor construction. That, and it's a bigger blower than the Fifth-Generation M122.

"The TVS has a higher pressure ratio capability, and the combination of the higher lobe twist and the larger inlet ports allow for much greater volumetric efficiency, especially at higher speeds. Volumetric efficiency is actually the highest at maximum rated rpm, and this shows that the flow capacity of the TVS is orders of magnitude greater than anything prior in terms of flow versus displacement. It does not die off at high rpm. To say it simply, if a Fifth-Gen and a TVS were at equal displacement, the TVS will flow more air at lower temperatures."

With so much emphasis being placed on the differences in the rotors and their respective lobes, are there differences in the composition of the rotors? "The TVS rotors maintain the reliable material and mechanical properties of the Fifth-Gen units, including our patented abradeable powdercoating," Dunai says. In layman's terms, the blower rotors are made of the same stuff, but the TVS rotors and the lobes are designed for better power with less work. The TVS sounds like a winner when compared to the Eaton M122, but how will it stack up against a twin-screw?

"The twin-screw has internal compression, which the TVS does not, as it is still technically a Roots-style blower, though with many improvements," Dunai says. "Contrary to popular belief, internal compression created by rotor lobe profiles and speed ratios are not as important to thermal efficiency. There are many other factors that contribute to thermal efficiency that are more important and, as proven with the TVS, internal compression is not the deciding factor of thermal efficiency. I will, however, state that the laws of physics and thermodynamics still do apply. The TVS just capitalizes on them in a slightly different manner to achieve its results."

So, what does this mean in terms of blower speed, boost level, and horsepower levels? "We have bench-tested the blower to 15,000 rpm, which creates about 8 psi the way we have it pullied for sale to customers," Bunn says. "Honestly, though, we see no limits in terms of the blower. We feel the blower is fully capable of feeding 1,000 hp."

Three Valve Eaton TVS Supercharger Install - Price and Performance - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

dizzygoat

Established Member
a good place to get some specs on the M112 and 122 is on ls2gto.com that is the most popular blower used on our cars, its slod through Magnuson, but im assuming its the same.

RedFox

Established Member
Magnuson is the Eaton distributor for aftermarket.

All Eaton blowers are in the process of being replaced with the TVS which will cover the full range. Everything else is now obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread