GT 500 Super Snake

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I drove a 725hp version built by Sean Hyllan Motorsport but was not overly impressed. Did I expect too much... what do you guys think of it?

Here are a couple easy laps, not my car so I did not push it too hard...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L49pGSEO9Yw"]YouTube - SuperSnake incar[/ame]

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
Not sure if you didnt push how you can tell how well it goes. I have a GT500 and have tracked it when my Cobra went down, No, a GT500 would not be my first choice for a track car. Not without a lot of work anyway. The new cars are so well built, you dont get the same feedback. But, the S197 is a much better platform tha previous mustangs, just not with all that weight over the snout

wheelhopper

Established Member
There is a guy in SCMC that runs a modified GT500. It is making 600rwhp and has suspension mods. I would guess that a SS would be similiar. That GT500 is fast. Last year I was changing positions with him all day, in my 500rwhp Cobra. This year I could not keep up. He is getting double the track time that I am, regardless that car is fast. I am sure the SS is quick. Maybe you were expecting supercar handling because of the price of the car. Lets face it, it still has the humble structure of a Mustang no matter what the window sticker says.

After watching the vid, it looks like you were really taking it easy. More like cruising around the track. Push it harder next time.

Last edited:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I took it out three times for around 5 or so laps each time. This vid was my first run out with traction controll on. During my last run out I tried to drive it more aggresive like my Cobra, but it started to loose power after only three HOT laps. As I came of there was coolant puking from the IC bottle!

Make no mistake it is plenty fast but, I quess I expected more from a car with that kind of prise tag...

Here is a link to Sean's page for more info on his car
Shelby Automobiles Mustang Mod Shop - GT500, Super Snake, Terlingua, CS6, CS8

Pic of the Shelby with the wifee's 09 CobaltSS (left the Cobra in the garage - no brakes:()
IMG_2189.jpg

sprint200

Established Member
The main reason that I did not Super Snake my car was that I didn't like the suspension upgrades that were being offered. Heck, when first announced, the BoM didn't even include an adjustable panhard bar! They only added that after a friend of mine (the 1st 725hp test mule) wore them out telling them about my watts link:lol:

I'm very happy with the Griggs stuff, and against equal driving skills, I can easily outpace the SS even though I'm down about 70 hp.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
The main reason that I did not Super Snake my car was that I didn't like the suspension upgrades that were being offered. Heck, when first announced, the BoM didn't even include an adjustable panhard bar! They only added that after a friend of mine (the 1st 725hp test mule) wore them out telling them about my watts link:lol:

I'm very happy with the Griggs stuff, and against equal driving skills, I can easily outpace the SS even though I'm down about 70 hp.

+1

If your goal is a track car on the GT500 platform and you don't have to have a CSM number so it's a "real Shelby", you can build one hell of a GT500 HPDE runner for the price of the SS.

I considered the SS vs. the Griggs GR40TT and for me, I went the right route :thumbsup:

Now, all I have left to do is shave another 250 lbs. off the car and at this point it's going to cost a bundle, currently at 3734 lbs. without me in it...

sprint200

Established Member
+1

Now, all I have left to do is shave another 250 lbs. off the car and at this point it's going to cost a bundle, currently at 3734 lbs. without me in it...

Jay,

Think carbon fiber fenders and doors (w/no glass); the new wet sump Al. block.....................and some of that fancy "anti-gravity" paint:-D:poke:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Griggs and I have talked about a built LS7 swap and AC delete.

But the anti-gravity paint... Where can I get some :-D
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The choice there is a no brainer... If C6 Z is on the list....one of the most brilliant cars I have ever driven hard.....if not the most.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
hearing the SS lost power after three hot laps makes me never want one now. I love the way they look, but that engine package is not meant to be. A naturally aspirated 410ci aluminum block will suffice.

Phxcobra

Established Member
The choice there is a no brainer... If C6 Z is on the list....one of the most brilliant cars I have ever driven hard.....if not the most.

I'll second that. Go with the Z06 or dare i say Nissan GTR for similar money. I've seen a few GTRs at the track and I'm quite impressed.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I have someone showing interest in my Cobra so now I find myself looking at these cars. Also I do not really know if I want to part of my Cobra yet, I have it running pretty good now...

Anyway, this has to be one of the most sexiest cars I have ever driven (I have yet to drive the C6 Z). Even if it's somewhat slow with overheating problems...:beer:
IMG_2179.jpg

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I have someone showing interest in my Cobra so now I find myself looking at these cars. Also I do not really know if I want to part of my Cobra yet, I have it running pretty good now...

Anyway, this has to be one of the most sexiest cars I have ever driven (I have yet to drive the C6 Z). Even if it's somewhat slow with overheating problems...:beer:
IMG_2179.jpg

That is a beauty.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I'll second that. Go with the Z06 or dare i say Nissan GTR for similar money. I've seen a few GTRs at the track and I'm quite impressed.

GTR's are fast that is for sure, but I would rather buy a C6 Z. It is something I wanted since the first time I saw it on Top Gear!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
One of the perks of being the prez of a local driving club.

Driving a C6 Z-06 on good rubber will ruin you for good. It will do everything you ask it to do....everything you demanded but never really got in full from the Mustang. Then you'll laugh at how easy it is to drive hard.

I drove a mostly stock C6 Z on hoosier R's at an autocross team event last November. I took FTD with my third run.....laughing hysterically the entire time at how much of a piece of cake it was to do.

Driving a Mustang hard trains you to drive any other platforms better than you think you can. :)

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I don't know why you would even mess with a GT500 when for slightly more money up front, and less in the long run you could get a lightly used c6 z06.

Users who are viewing this thread