GT 500 vs Saleen Extreme

tjtucker

Established Member
Hi All

I'm looking at the GT 500 or the Saleen Extreme.
I located both and driven both 2007 GT 500 1200 miles & 2007 Extreme 2300miles. I like both so here is the question the cost is within 1500.00 of each other.

The winner will split normal daily driving duties with a 350 Z.
I will have the car about 2 to 2.5 years till I can find a Nissan GTR at a reasonable price. The cars will be left stock.
Which one should be worth more at the end of their tour of duty.
Anything which sets one apart from the other?

Thanks TJ

primetime

Established Member
If the cars are being left stock and residual value is a key, the Saleen is the better choice. The GT500 is a mid 40K car and the Saleen a low 70K car. later Ron

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If the cars are being left stock and residual value is a key, the Saleen is the better choice. The GT500 is a mid 40K car and the Saleen a low 70K car. later Ron

how do you get that? the gt500 and saleen are within 1500 of one another....

2+ years into production the gt500 is still selling at msrp. and the saleen has dropped 25k in price! the answer is obvious!

get the gt500 and then trade up for the 2011 gt500! yes it will be that good. forget about the gtr!:poke:

i saw a white gtr on the road the other day. the performance is good yes, but its nothing special. i would much rather have the 11 gt500 and the griggs suspension.:beer:

Last edited:

tjtucker

Established Member
???

Just to clear thing up a little both cars can be had for 45,000 to 46,000. I'm not to familar with Saleens. I looked around the net and noticed most Extermes selling in the mid 70s new and the mid used 50s. Do you all think 46,000 for the 2007 Extreme is a reasonable price?

TJ

primetime

Established Member
how do you get that? the gt500 and saleen are within 1500 of one another....

2+ years into production the gt500 is still selling at msrp. and the saleen has dropped 25k in price! the answer is obvious!

LOL! Here is how I get that, this buyer is getting one hell of a deal on the Saleen or potentially raped on the GT500. I am assuming it is the latter. Yes the Saleen may depreciate faster but it is starting at a much higher base number, and in the end there will be less of them on the road. IE less supply.

Here is an 06 with 8k+ miles for $55K

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2071

An 07 for $70K

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2071

another 06 with 4K miles for $57

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...9&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=598

get the gt500 and then trade up for the 2011 gt500! yes it will be that good. forget about the gtr!:poke:

i saw a white gtr on the road the other day. the performance is good yes, but its nothing special. i would much rather have the 11 gt500 and the griggs suspension.:beer:

So you saw a GTR on the road and have concluded that it is "nothing special"! LOL Your kidding right? A 2011 GT500 with a Griggs suspension would be nice, but last time I looked at the calendar it was May 2008 and some people are in the market for cars so waiting till 2011 isn't feasible. The GTR is going to me a monster, watch. later Ron

manOwar

Established Member
MAN, I'm glad I deleted my first post!!

Buy the one you like the best and call it a day.... What did you expect posting this in the GT500 section? I don't have $70K in my car yet but I will eat that Saleen for lunch!!

R1Lello

Established Member
the answer is in your own post, the saleen dropped 25 k in one year, enough said. 5.4 and Shelby will always be greater than 4.6 and Saleen

tjtucker

Established Member
Gt 500

Thanks to all who have posted. The reason I posted in the GT 500 section was because I figured anyone who looked at the GT 500 has good taste and they more than likely looked at all performance Mustangs and easy to join the SVT since I have a Panoz AIV.

I need to keep the 350 Z wifes car. I'm also looking at the 2007 SC Saleen truck. I found some close for the low 30's with about 5,000.00 miles. Next question both Saleens have lost approx 25,000 to 30,000 off original list. Is this normal? or current fuel costs? way over priced to begin with? Not dishing the Saleen but need to know. Have the Saleens already taken their depreciation hit?

Thanks TJ

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
LOL! Here is how I get that, this buyer is getting one hell of a deal on the Saleen or potentially raped on the GT500. I am assuming it is the latter. Yes the Saleen may depreciate faster but it is starting at a much higher base number, and in the end there will be less of them on the road. IE less supply.

So you saw a GTR on the road and have concluded that it is "nothing special"! LOL Your kidding right? A 2011 GT500 with a Griggs suspension would be nice, but last time I looked at the calendar it was May 2008 and some people are in the market for cars so waiting till 2011 isn't feasible. The GTR is going to me a monster, watch. later Ron

since a member just picked up a loaded brand new gt500 for 3500 under msrp why would one pay more than 45k for the gt500?

yes i saw one, it looked nice. personally i like the look of the g37 better! best bang for buck today, you bet. but all things being equall i take the gt500 z06 or 997 before i buy a gtr.:poke:

2011 gt500 is only 2 years away! i said buy a gt500 now(like his original plan) then upgrade in 2 years!:beer:

Zan186

Established Member
Simply put what do you want the car for? If you plan on modding it at all the GT500 has a better platform to mod with. The Saleen is pretty much close to as good as it gets.
Value, well that all depends on the person buying the car. Some feel Shelby is someone speacial that his name actually means something. I don't really see the same with Saleen or Roush. But in 30 years who knows.

Really comes down to what do you want!

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
A little off topic but I know for a fact that two of the Roush (sp) 427s that were 60K can be had for a hair over 30K with very low miles. This is wholesale at a dealer auction btw. I would think the same would happen to the Saleens or already seems to be happening.

If you plan to keep the the cars stock then the GT500 would hold its value better in two years imo just like unmodded Terms have done. People will want the 5.4 more and more in time over the brittle 4.6 in the 05s and up.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
GT500 - resale value of speciality non-factory (i.e. non-SVT) mustangs is weak IMO (having bought and sold a Roush mustang).

Users who are viewing this thread