GT 500 vs Saleen Extreme

primetime

Established Member
since a member just picked up a loaded brand new gt500 for 3500 under msrp why would one pay more than 45k for the gt500?

Umm, OK. Maybe you could stick to your previous premise of GT500's "2+ years into production the gt500 is still selling at msrp." Now your quoting under MSRP prices to make a point about them being able to be had for under 45K. So which is it?

yes i saw one, it looked nice. personally i like the look of the g37 better! best bang for buck today, you bet. but all things being equall i take the gt500 z06 or 997 before i buy a gtr.:poke:

All things aren't equal as the GT500 costs less, the Z06 about the same, and the 997 911Turbo a lot more. I'll take a 911 also but not sure what the point of that is. Also, sorry but stock to stock the GT500 doesn't compare to a Z06, GTR, or 911.

2011 gt500 is only 2 years away! i said buy a gt500 now(like his original plan) then upgrade in 2 years!:beer:

OK if you say so....

primetime

Established Member
obviously - 70k extreme mustang now selling for 45k with 2500 miles on it. what is that? 100 dollar loss for every mile driven? holding its value very well.:rollseyes

Please post some 2007 Saleen Extreme's that are for sale in the 45K - 50K range and with low miles(under 5K) other than the one that the poster claims is for sale. You can't site one example as the norm of a much larger population, just like you can't assume that all GT500's can now be had for $3,500 under MSRP. You seem to use figures in different ways depending on what angle of an argument you are trying to prove.

Also, I just noticed that the this is the posters first post and he/she is most likely just trying to start trouble. later Ron

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
WE wont know how the GT500 holds value until another year or two..my guess is about the same as our terminators due to large number produced. Saleens hold value better than the Roush (bought an 02 Stage 2 vert in 03 for $18500 which stickered for $42k), and nearly bought an 06 Saleen vert last month that had 12k miles and did sell for $32k after sitting with no buyers at $36k (stickered at 52k). Saleen's new management has decided to drop MSRP on the 08's approx. 8k, which will hurt the resale on Saleen's overall.

I say buy the one that makes you happiest. I'd go for the Extreme with the GT500 a CLOSE second but that's just my personal preference as I like the looks of the Saleen bodywork.

There is a Beryllium Saleen convertible for sale on Ebay now that I think is killer as hell...not an Extreme but that paint..wow.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If it was me and it was a toss up.

I'd buy the Extreme and do a simple pulley swap and a retune. They're only running 14lbs of boost.

Hello 700hp. At least you'd think anyways. That motor is as good as any motor SVT ever thought about slapping in a Mustang.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Umm, OK. Maybe you could stick to your previous premise of GT500's "2+ years into production the gt500 is still selling at msrp." Now your quoting under MSRP prices to make a point about them being able to be had for under 45K. So which is it?

someone posted 3 dealers in socal all selling for msrp. another posted a sac sale for msrp. nation wide you can find gt500 at or just above/below msrp. the op said the prices of the 2 cars were within 1500 of each other.

1. the price on the gt500 is above market value.
2. the extreme has lost $25k in value over 2500 miles.

All things aren't equal as the GT500 costs less, the Z06 about the same, and the 997 911Turbo a lot more. I'll take a 911 also but not sure what the point of that is. Also, sorry but stock to stock the GT500 doesn't compare to a Z06, GTR, or 911.

i said 997 not the 997 turbo. i would purchase the gt500 z06 or a 997s before i would buy the gtr if they all were the same price.:rockon:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Please post some 2007 Saleen Extreme's that are for sale in the 45K - 50K range and with low miles(under 5K) other than the one that the poster claims is for sale. You can't site one example as the norm of a much larger population, just like you can't assume that all GT500's can now be had for $3,500 under MSRP. You seem to use figures in different ways depending on what angle of an argument you are trying to prove.

Also, I just noticed that the this is the posters first post and he/she is most likely just trying to start trouble. later Ron

one search found 2 at $55k range under 10k miles. $1 48k under 3k miles. and 1 one brand new one at $80k+. yea they hold thier value great!:dw:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=898

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
Hey . I wish I had the same problem debating between 2 great cars. I personally think the Saleen looks much better . I still see used extreme's for mid 50's and up. I still see normal saleen SC for mid 40's. I saw a use GT500 vert for mid 40's on e-bay today. I just wonder since Saleen seemed to have switched to the 302 and that SC one puts out @650 hp ,if that will hurt the resale of the 281 later. GL

tjtucker

Established Member
Gt 500

Just to clear things up.

I didn't post this to start trouble. (no time for that)

The Extreme asking price stated out at 62,000 + about 60 days ago.
The dealer has had the car for 60+ day and most dealers floor plans
is 90 t0 120 days. They have dropped the cost monthly but made a 7,000 drop this week to approx 47,000.00. Like most people I want something for nothing and was wondering if this was a routine market price for the 2007 Extreme or are we getting to the price of what a dealers would pay at a dealers auction.

I also wanted to know what what the forum members truly thought about between the 2 as the GT 500 is also just as nice.

I can get either with out having to give up my Panoz AIV. If I opt for the ZO6, new M3 or GTR I will have to sell the AIV.

Thanks to the forum member for all the help and replies.

TJ

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Just to clear things up.

I didn't post this to start trouble. (no time for that)

The Extreme asking price stated out at 62,000 + about 60 days ago.
The dealer has had the car for 60+ day and most dealers floor plans
is 90 t0 120 days. They have dropped the cost monthly but made a 7,000 drop this week to approx 47,000.00. Like most people I want something for nothing and was wondering if this was a routine market price for the 2007 Extreme or are we getting to the price of what a dealers would pay at a dealers auction.

I also wanted to know what what the forum members truly thought about between the 2 as the GT 500 is also just as nice.

I can get either with out having to give up my Panoz AIV. If I opt for the ZO6, new M3 or GTR I will have to sell the AIV.

Thanks to the forum member for all the help and replies.

TJ

GT500 5.4 dohc, supercharged..... .done.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
i doubt that! lighter and more power yes, but i bet the motor would not be able to pass fords/svt durability testing standards.

I'd say it would. Do more search on the Parnelli Jones engine. It's a badass engine to say the least.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'd say it would. Do more search on the Parnelli Jones engine. It's a badass engine to say the least.

parnelli jones engine is weak from what i have been told.

Saleen doesn't have the same stringent longevity/durability testing that Ford does.

check out post #10
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3507403&highlight=stroked#post3507403

Ford's had big bores 3.70x3.55 for over 10 years now, and yet they never made production. Simply put, they wouldn't pass durability testing. Same goes for strokers, which is why as you both posted, the companies with them only offer a 1 year warranty.
Limiting rpm seems to help strokers (2Vs fare better than 4Vs), but it's still a compromised design no matter how you look at it: Increased wear on pistons/skirts, increased side load on rods, lower rpm capability, weaker crank, and more stress on the block.

Win

Established Member
Well, I'm the one who just bought at a deep discount off of retail. Here in Northern CA a lot of the Ford Dealers are stocked heavy on trucks that are not selling. They are looking for any quick sales that they can get. Quite a few are selling GT500's at or just below MSRP. The dealer that I bought from got two GT500's in and just wanted them gone. Great deal for me. One of the other dealers close by just got a Roush P51 in stock. Since they are only making 151 of these I wonder if the price will hold up better. Very nicely done package on that car, with a great interior. I will stay with the Shelby as I think the bigger buying pool for these cars will outweigh the larger number of cars made.

COBRA32

Established Member
The Saleen Extreme has no drivetrain warrant. Seen my first one at the Ford dealer getting serviced by a good friend of mine who is the head mech. To make along story short the car had a engine problem with the saleen tune. Saleen does not provided a warranty on the Engine so the guy had to pay out of his pocket for a new computer to get his car running. So the GT500 iis better in taht you get a warranty with the car and when you get the GT500 make sure you get FRPP cold air kit at time of purchase to make sure your warranty will not be effected. The FRPP kit is must it really helps out in the performance department without effecting the warranty and makes the car so much more fun to drive. Thats what I did and I also got the UCA from Roush too cure the wheelhop which really made the car even better. I just love mY GT500 now.

chuckstang

Established Member
The Saleen Extreme has no drivetrain warrant. Seen my first one at the Ford dealer getting serviced by a good friend of mine who is the head mech. To make along story short the car had a engine problem with the saleen tune. Saleen does not provided a warranty on the Engine so the guy had to pay out of his pocket for a new computer to get his car running. So the GT500 iis better in taht you get a warranty with the car and when you get the GT500 make sure you get FRPP cold air kit at time of purchase to make sure your warranty will not be effected. The FRPP kit is must it really helps out in the performance department without effecting the warranty and makes the car so much more fun to drive. Thats what I did and I also got the UCA from Roush too cure the wheelhop which really made the car even better. I just love mY GT500 now.

I have the Roush UCA as welll, are you getting any clunks, rattles, squeeks at low speeds?

I am and not sure if it could be the Roush UCA or LCAs?

If you are getting no noises from the UCA I bet it is my lowers

I had a ford dealer do the work, how bout you?

thanks

Hec332

SBF W/Twin 76's Street Car
Established Member
Let me put it to you this way. I sold my 06 Saleen Vert to buy my 08 vapor gt500 and could'nt be happier.....

COBRA32

Established Member
I have only the Roush UCA and I have no rattles or squeeks of any kind. I had my Ford dealer put the UCA on. You should not have any noises at all since the Roush UCA use factory style bushings. One thing when they installed the UCA and LCA's did they make sure the cars suspension was loaded and level when they installed the control arms? Because its very critical so the control arms bushings do not bind when the suspension unloads and loads.

Last edited:

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Let me put it to you this way. I sold my 06 Saleen Vert to buy my 08 vapor gt500 and could'nt be happier.....

In Canada GT500's are still only sold through SVT dealer, of which I am. I sell mine at MSRP, always have, Saying that...

I am the polar opposite

After driving one for a few days, I sold My Vapor GT500 and bought my S281SC and I couldn't be happier.

In a straight line they are close, but when you hit the 1st hard corner it's light out for the GT500,

Last edited:

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
MAN, I'm glad I deleted my first post!!

Buy the one you like the best and call it a day.... What did you expect posting this in the GT500 section? I don't have $70K in my car yet but I will eat that Saleen for lunch!!
LMAO Kenny Bell:rockon:, Dude buy whichever one you want. They are both sick cars:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread