Gt Owners-Can you get pictures of the undercarraige

fordification

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
why didn't they push to make the body more aero-dynamic, is it because the time and money it would take or they wanted to keep the looks?

I can probably take a stab at this.

I think the idea was to retain the original body design, replicating the MKII. Any adjustments needed for improving aerodynamics would've effected the overall look.

The biggest concern was the frontend lift (ref.'The Legend comes to Life', which was a problem with the MKI/II/IV's. But that never prevented the car from topping 220mph.

Last edited:

Florida Chris

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
why didn't they push to make the body more aero-dynamic, is it because the time and money it would take or they wanted to keep the looks?

Are you suggesting you don't like the styling? What do you mean "more aerodynamic"? Do you think the 205 mph top speed is limited by poor aerodynamics? Ford spent considerable time and money making the body the way it is. Integrating modern aerodynamics with a classic design is significantly more difficult than starting from a clean sheet. Maybe B_tone will chime in here, but it is my understanding that alot of attention was paid to aerodynamics...Thus the splitter, side skirts and rear diffusor. The car has significant downforce and is incredibly stable at high speeds. Having driven the car I can attest it is rock steady at trans-legal speeds.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Florida Chris said:
Are you suggesting you don't like the styling? What do you mean "more aerodynamic"? Do you think the 205 mph top speed is limited by poor aerodynamics? Ford spent considerable time and money making the body the way it is. Integrating modern aerodynamics with a classic design is significantly more difficult than starting from a clean sheet. Maybe B_tone will chime in here, but it is my understanding that alot of attention was paid to aerodynamics...Thus the splitter, side skirts and rear diffusor. The car has significant downforce and is incredibly stable at high speeds. Having driven the car I can attest it is rock steady at trans-legal speeds.

In no way would I ever, I love the styling and its governed for a reason that i could geuss at but i'm not to save myself from arrogance. I was just adding because while watching the making the guys said that the aero-dynamics of the body was actually making the car lift at high speeds. So they put the fins under the car and acutally made some changes to the body. I didn't know if they fixed all of the aero-dynamic problems but looking at the performance numbers i'm kinda feeling stupid just for asking. If there is anyone I envy it would be you, so please the last person i would want to make mad is you. Well thats all I wanted to know, happy driving.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
fordification said:

I think the idea was to retain the original body design, replicating the MKII. Any adjustments needed for improving aerodynamics would've effected the overall look.

The biggest concern was the frontend lift (ref.'The Legend comes to Life', which was a problem with the MKI/II/IV's. But that never prevented the car from topping 220mph.

actually if you were to look more into the history they actually did say the car lost steering when they reached 220 because the front of the car lifted from the ground, no affense though. They have already fixed that problem in the new design anyway. :coolman: :banana:

Florida Chris

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
In no way would I ever, I love the styling and its governed for a reason that i could geuss at but i'm not to save myself from arrogance. I was just adding because while watching the making the guys said that the aero-dynamics of the body was actually making the car lift at high speeds. So they put the fins under the car and acutally made some changes to the body. I didn't know if they fixed all of the aero-dynamic problems but looking at the performance numbers i'm kinda feeling stupid just for asking. If there is anyone I envy it would be you, so please the last person i would want to make mad is you. Well thats all I wanted to know, happy driving.

Hey FordGTGuy, don't misinterpret my response! I'm not angry at all! I was just trying to understand your perspective. You are correct that the original GT40 from the 60's had front end lift tendencies. Ford was determined not to have this problem with the latest incarnation. I believe they were largely successful achieving the proper balance between styling and aerodynamic performance.

Oh, and, in my opinion there is no such thing as a stupid question...Only stupid answers which are unfortunately far too common these days. :beer:

FordGTGuy

Established Member
fordification said:

only the MKIV went 220, MK II 205?, MK I 215?, MK III 170-190?

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:

As stated previously, the car today exhibits no lift, rather a very good amount of downforce, from the front and the rear. The car is extremely stable at very high speed.

Aero development is a strange thing, we used wind tunnels, CFD and on road experimentation to come up with how the car sits today. Very minor changes in the body can make some rather significant changes in downforce/lift and also effecting drag.

The key is to balance downforce and drag. I personally think we did a pretty good job on the aero. Hell, the car went 212 in Nardo and that was RPM limited, not aero limited. ie. the car would have gone faster if the revlimiter would have been raised a few hundred RPM it was still climbing in speed when the limiter truncated the RPM.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
how fast do you think this car can really go and if it does go faster is Ford leaving us with a fake hp/tq ratng because that is pretty fast for what it has in it? Also what was this V-10 427 they were going to put in the Ford GT is it still in plans or just kaputz?

Vic

Established Member
Yes, please tell us if you know, what happened to Coleman's lightweight V10? There is a link posted under the "06/07" thread, regarding this engine.

FordGTGuy said:
how fast do you think this car can really go and if it does go faster is Ford leaving us with a fake hp/tq ratng because that is pretty fast for what it has in it? Also what was this V-10 427 they were going to put in the Ford GT is it still in plans or just kaputz?

SaleenSR

Established Member
All I have to say is, All you GT owners are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky. I wish I had one too. :cryying:

Last edited by a moderator:

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
The car is clipped at 205, but like I said it ran 212 at nardo after about 7 minutes. Knowing the CD and remembering that it has 550hp/550LbFt I am not surprised that is runs that fast.

The car that ran at Nardo was not a 'special' car it was as produced, not a ringer so that #'s are legit.

Concerning Coleman, I know Greg very well. In fact I know all 3 engineers that developed that motor very well and if there was a way to get that motor into a car they would.

GT-Power

Established Member
b_tone said:
Feel free, it's better to have people speaking about the car in an educated manner rather than making blind and ignorant statements.

Amen brother. :thumbsup: Nice, and totally appropriate smack-down. :burn: The fact that someone has helped change the oil on a friend's GT (and snapped some pics of the process) does not an expert make.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Nice, thanks for the pics guys! Judging from the undercarraige pics, the GT was made for HIGH SPEEDS.

Svt03Cobra

Wanna Race?
Established Member
Here is the pic of mine!

I have my name on the pic because I don't want any body else claiming it's their's!

airpic1.jpg

JJP

Established Member
Original Question

The rear diffuser is SMC which is technically a composite just like fiberglass is a composite. I think it weighs 14#.

satx

Banned
b_tone said:
In fact I know all 3 engineers that developed that motor very well and if there was a way to get that motor into a car they would.

Ford should make a special edition with this motor.....600 hp all motor lightweight race model.

Oh, and about the aero of the car......I remember in the car & driver article with the enzo and carrera gt that the Ford GT had less drag than the Porsche. Not too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread