Gt Owners-Can you get pictures of the undercarraige

Vic

Established Member
Posting things like this educates the Ford GT community at large, and future owners as well. Thats one of the best things about an enthusiast board, its a place to share info, and archive things for reference. The Viper club has quite a lot of info archived, from maintenance, common problems, performance upgrades, meetings and events, etc. Searching this info before buying a product, attempting an upgrade, has saved owners countless dollars, anguish, and hours wallowing in newbie mistakes. Sometimes the posts of mistakes on the VCA board serve to teach others what not to do, maybe something you never thought of before. This site will also evolve the same way, hopefully, by the input of members, and serve as the backbone of the new FGT owners club. Good job, David and Chris.

barondw

Established Member
Thanks for your compliment but remember most lists have tons of actual owners. The owners out number the non-owners and thus there are many sources for information.

This list has very, very few owners. Non-owners vastly out-number the owners. Thus hands on experience will be extremely limited. While everyone has some knowledge it may not apply directly to this vehicle. Also there is difference in posting about something that the dealer did and the owner did or actually assisted in doing.
:beer:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
THERE IS A MERKUR IN THIS PIC!!!!! bahahahahahah
dscn12970zk.jpg
sorry to hijack the thread for a sec, just had to rejoice.

barondw

Established Member
XR4Turbo said:
THERE IS A MERKUR IN THIS PIC!!!!! bahahahahahah
dscn12970zk.jpg
sorry to hijack the thread for a sec, just had to rejoice.

Good eyes. There are actually several including some that are highly modified. Used to own one. Shop were work was done specializes in Merkurs, Vipers, Subarus.

2004 Cobra

Mad Stock 04 Cobra
Established Member
Thanks for the pics. I am very impressed. Now I need to get my act in gear-save the $$ and get me one of these. It is in dream status right now, but who knows....

barondw

Established Member
All panels are composite or alloy.

All panels are designed for aerodynamics. That is the purpose of enclosing the bottom of the car. Obviously they also protect the bottom pieces from road debris, but all the panels allow road grit to get inside and need to be cleaned.

barondw

Established Member
I have not done a chemical analysis but have been told they are some type of composite material. It would not surprise me if everything is exotic or carbon fibre. Everything else on the car is.

Last edited:

barondw

Established Member
I literally have no idea. I took it off the car, stacked in a corner, and put it back on after we were done with what we had to do. I know it weighs less than 20 pounds but that's about it.

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
I can assure you it's not carbon or anything else exotic.

That large panel that is being referred to is the difusor. The point of that panel is to make downforce by using the low pressure zone behind the car to accelerate the air that is trapped under the car and force it out, thus lowering the pressure under the car effectively creating downforce at high speed.

barondw

Established Member
b_tone said:
I can assure you it's not carbon or anything else exotic.

That large panel that is being referred to is the difusor. The point of that panel is to make downforce by using the low pressure zone behind the car to accelerate the air that is trapped under the car and force it out, thus lowering the pressure under the car effectively creating downforce at high speed.

And how do you know what the diffuser is made of?

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Because I spent 2 years working on the program as a Veh. Dynamics development engineer. I worked on the aero-development team that designed/tested the front splitter, side skirts and rear diffusor in addition to my regular duties working on the ride/steering/braking/handling metrics.

Any other questions?

barondw

Established Member
b_tone said:
Because I spent 2 years working on the program as a Veh. Dynamics development engineer. I worked on the aero-development team that designed/tested the front splitter, side skirts and rear diffusor in addition to my regular duties working on the ride/steering/braking/handling metrics.

Any other questions?

Not today but I'm sure there will be.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
b_tone said:
Feel free, it's better to have people speaking about the car in an educated manner rather than making blind and ignorant statements.

Which most people out there, mostly Ford Haters(why even hate Ford its not like we go around saying we hate chevy or dodge), do. I'm glad this forum is better because here I don't need to stop the ignorant attack of statements about the Ford GT.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
b_tone said:

Any other questions?

why didn't they push to make the body more aero-dynamic, is it because the time and money it would take or they wanted to keep the looks?

Users who are viewing this thread