GT350 and GT350R at Laguna Seca

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
I took a much needed day out of the office and offline last month to blow off some steam at Laguna Seca with Hooked on Driving. California is expensive and Laguna is an ocean view track, so it's almost $400 to go for the day in peak season (with a 93 decibel sound limit so the millionaires next door don't have to hear amazing supercars). You can pay extra to raise the limit, which Ford may have.

As I rolled up to the track at 7:00 AM I saw no less than 35 GT350 and GT350R, split about half and half. Then I noticed a giant Ford stage and mobile garage, and an empty podium for a 2017+ Ford GT which wasn't on the premises. Ford had the track rented out on Wednesday and Thursday, for the journalists whose photos and videos and coverage you've now all seen.

First thing I noticed was the carbon fiber wheels, which feel like smooth ABS plastic wheels. These cars were sitting out overnight and the wheels were warm to the touch just from the day break sun coming through the Monterey fog. The stance on the car looks perfect. The wing looks like the simplest thing that can possibly work, not particularly stylish but we're talking about functional aero. And who wants to pay Porsche $5000 for an aero cup kit on top of an already spendy 911?

IMG_2957.jpgIMG_2938.jpgIMG_2939.jpgIMG_2949.jpgIMG_2951.jpg

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Laguna is always foggy in the morning, wish you could have gotten some videos op. I'm going to see if I can take a day off on the first of November to watch a Viper ACR break a world record. :rockon:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Did you get to see under the hood? There are some rumors that Ford has installed some aftermarket parts, like duel oil separators and such.

No big deal IMO. Serious drivers would add them anyway.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Did you get to see under the hood? There are some rumors that Ford has installed some aftermarket parts, like duel oil separators and such.

No big deal IMO. Serious drivers would add them anyway.

Yes those were on the car

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
They were gracious to allow me to photograph the cars, walk around, and ask a few n00b questions. But I didn't get to fire them up, open them up or look under the hood. Later on I did see the cars idling around but it seemed like they were having some kind of group meeting. I didn't really get to hear the voodoo motor in person. I already think the Mustang GT is a pretty stout exhaust so I have no doubt it will be fantastic, even for people getting it sight unseen.

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
I'm appreciative that Ford is sourcing Recaro seating for the street, but it's no replacement for a proper fixed back seat that supports a 6 point harness, and custom bent weld in rollbar.

IMG_2846.jpg

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ah, Laguna. My favorite track. And beautiful cars to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread