GT350 Carbon Revolution CF wheels in a color other than black?

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Sure - but how long do they last, and how much do they cost to be replaced (likely: the cost of a new GT350) - that's the point.

The comment "steel surviving longer at higher temperatures" is absurd.

Many cars are coming OEM with the Carbon Fitment, even ones that are not SUPERCAR priced, like the Z28 and Z06.

file_zpskt5lo1ww.jpg

file_zpshahnhd6a.jpg

krt22

Established Member
Yes we are all aware of that. The Z28 is 75k and the Z06 wtih carbon package is 95k. So they could have added it to the R and made it a 70K car, with little to no performance benefit while making the consumable cost much higher for the end buyer. Im sure after market companies will offer them if you really must have them for bench racing/bragging rights

Go search the vette forums how well the Z06 carbon rotors hold up at the track and report back

Last edited:

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Yes we are all aware of that. The Z28 is 75k and the Z06 wtih carbon package is 95k. So they could have added it to the R and made it a 70K car, with little to no performance benefit while making the consumable cost much higher for the end buyer. Im sure after market companies will offer them if you really must have them for bench racing/bragging rights

Go search the vette forums how well the Z06 carbon rotors hold up at the track and report back

This is your synopsis after lapping with Carbon Brakes?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Can we hold off on the brake arguments for now (or at least until my SHW rotor order is released by Ford!:cuss:)?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The comment "steel surviving longer at higher temperatures" is absurd.

I'm looking for the quote. I can't remember exactly but Carbon rotors fail at 1400 degrees while the steel rotors live up to 1900 or something.

I can't remember where I saw it but I'll keep looking.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I never bothered, I let others be the guinea pig and so far they are not as well received as you imply

Do you even have an R on order?

He does have quite a bit of "brake experience" from typical track performance upgrades to Pirelli World Challenge spec hardware. And I don't see the relevance with respect to him having an "R" on order or not. Let's be honest - both sides to this argument have merit but with respect to the Shelby S550 variant it's iron rotors on an aluminum hat only.

Let's keep this one (somewhat) on track. CF wheel technology and yes, the silly colors that may be coming down the pike.

krt22

Established Member
OK to get back on topic, are they simply dying the final gel coat to get the color or is this paint on top of the finished wheel?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Until CR reveals some trade secrets we'll have to wait for technically accurate answer. You'll find a generalized answer within the following though...

Manufacturing carbon fiber wheels begins with the creation of the preformed internal carbon structure, composed of precisely manufactured carbon strands arrayed into woven fabrics. The elements are then placed into a mold using state of the art manufacturing techniques.

An RFID chip with a unique tracking number is embedded in this structure, and each wheel is individually entered into a quality assurance system. Once this structure is assembled, it’s infused with resin and cured at high temperatures.

This process results in a one-piece wheel that ensures maximum strength – eliminating the need to bond or glue the wheel’s spokes and barrel components together.

As the wheel cures, 61 individual checks and more than 246,000 data points are logged before it’s released from the machine. To guarantee quality parts, the cured wheels are analyzed using a 3D computerized tomography (CT) imaging process in which more than 18,000 X-ray images are taken. If the wheel passes inspection, it undergoes machining for the valve stem and mounting hardware holes before it gets painted, coated, assembled, dimensionally checked and shipped to Flat Rock Assembly Plant for installation on a new Shelby GT350R Mustang.

Spend some time at their site (scroll down from this tabbed link selection) and you'll no doubt be impressed. Ford had a release on these as well.

[video=youtube;sAemwtsthlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAemwtsthlI[/video]

[video=youtube;fN9rdhnoiPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9rdhnoiPk[/video]

With respect the the mention earlier about brake dust, note the coating on the inside of the wheel and Steve Turner's comment below it.

11-2015-Shelby-GT350R-First-Ride.jpg

Steve Turner said:
Here’s a look at the NASA-sourced technology that ensures the GT350R’s carbon fiber wheels shrug off the heat generated by the brakes on track. We are told that it is possible to clean the brake dust from this ceramic-coated surface and get it back to white again.

There is quite a bit of data that can be uncovered via the patents that CR sought. If you copy/paste the relevant patent numbers into most any search engine you'll see what I'm getting at.

http://www.carbonrev.com/patents

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sorry Tob!

For what it's worth, I like the Matte black wheels. I feel sorry for the first guy who puts white wheels on his GT350 lol.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's all good brother. Any and all relevant discussions are most certainly welcomed.

And for what it's worth I dig the matte as well!

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I want the gray that was used on the original show car.

I heard a slightly different story on the rotors that ties the two different schools of thought together. That the performance of the CC rotors did not justify the cost compared to the SHW's. ;-)

Attachments

• ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-wheels-02.jpg
    ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-wheels-02.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 302

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
That's sounds like total BS, it was all about cost.

F1-brake-disc.jpg

+1

Just like how the skinny tires on the Trinity GT500 were somehow the better choice lol

The new Ford GT will have CC. That should tell you right there the real reason.

Anyway, I like all the color options. Wonder if we'll see some different wheel designs, or does the CF limit what they can do?

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Part of the CC brake thing is packaging as well. Heat dissipation definitely ain't as easy with the wheel packaging the GT350R has.

ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-wheels-02.jpg

2017-ford-gt-prototype-spied-front-wheel-close-up.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread