GT350 Dealer Nightmare Part 2 (3 Month+ Engine Replacement & More)

What should I do next?

• Sell it after splitter and rattle fixed? (5.5 yrs warranty left, transferrable)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a68stang

Established Member
Was just about to post a follow-up to my 3 month and counting Ford dealer situation as the engine was finally disassembled and the warranty company field inspector approved it’s replacement. I just got the car back with the new engine and thought I’d post the good news and close the loop on this whole process for anyone interested in the replacement process and what it entails. But, come to find out it’s not over yet.

See the original post for finer details and other issues with the car and the dealer’s service:
Thread 'GT350 Dealership Nightmare (2 months without car still)'
GT350 Dealership Nightmare (2 months without car still)

In summary I bought a 2018 GT350 from Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights with ~9,400 miles on it. Looked and drove great, immaculate car. They said it passed all their inspections and all was well. This turned out not to be true. Bought in February with warranty and didn’t really get to start regularly driving it here and there until random dry days in March/April. Had finally started revving it out more in the warmer weather. Noticed a shrill metallic rattle linked to RPM that starts at ~3500 and a burnt metallic smell. Took into dealer, they couldn’t replicate. Was still happening, took it back again and demonstrated it, they took the car on May 24th when they said they could start working on it. June 13th they actually start looking at the car. June 14th they found metal debris in the oil filter, I approved disassembly for warranty inspection. Took until July 13th before the engine was disassembled and pictures taken of spun bearings on cylinders 7 & 8. Warranty company was reviewing pics, wouldn’t approve anything until field inspector came in-person. Field inspector finally came out and examined engine on August 1st. Approval for engine replacement given August 3rd. New Gen 2 Voodoo engine arrived August 10th. Car was finished and I picked it up August 16th. The car was in dealer’s possession from May 24th to August 16th (84 days straight).

Drove it twice around town doing break in miles, seating the piston rings properly etc. It seemed all good. Was just happy to have it back and able to break it in myself for peace of mind. Have only had it 3 of the 6 months I’ve owned it. Was excited to take it to the Woodward Dream Cruise just in time and meet up with friends. Got on the freeway, couple miles later really loud bang then hissing/whooshing sound and rumbling from front end. For a second at first thought motor blew or cooling system blew. Then a lot of rumbling from front of the car, steering wheel vibrating. Thought a front tire had been punctured and blew, rhythmic banging sound made me think shredded tire whacking the fender. Almost get into an accident trying to get over to the side of the freeway as quick as I can. Once pulled over I get out and find the front splitter laying on the ground cracked/shattered. Looks like it hadn’t been attached with any hardware I could see. Mounting holes were empty, no screws, rivets, etc. Seems the downforce at 70 was enough to snap it down to the ground, it was loud. The bottom was gone, shattered and shaved. Looks like it was snow plowing the ground after it broke loose and had caught uneven pavement as it was sliding, unsettling the front end. I have AAA road side assistance but last time I needed them they took 3 hours to get me a tow, they’re a hot mess. Felt around the bumper and splitter and figured I could tie it up to get home. Didn’t have anything on me to secure it so I checked map on my phone and walked along freeway to next exit where I bought 2 belts at a thrift store. Walked back to the car and cinched the belts around the splitter and bumper and drove it back home. I took pics and sent them to the service advisor text number with a couple messages for Monday morning when they show up at the dealership.

This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with a car. I have a 20 year old truck with 186k miles that hasn’t been as much trouble (original motor/trans etc.) It’s my dream car but it’s been anything but. At this point, I’m just done. I’ve been patient, polite, hopeful. All in an effort to just get the car back and working well. Getting on the freeway I noticed the shrill ~3500k+ metallic rattle is still there. Just as you’re starting to enjoy the Voodoo engine sound this rattle just overpowers it. It’s a good metaphor for this whole experience. Just as you start to enjoy the car, something ruins it. Based on my forum reading it seems like the metal plate between the engine and trans could be the cause. Assuming it’s my original plate reused. So, the shrill rattle still being there and then the splitter flying off on the freeway after waiting 3 months for service was enough for me.

Well, back it goes. Was going to wait until 1000 mile break in to bother taking it in for the rattle again but now I have no choice. What should my next steps be? Grin and bear it, ask for a buyback, or sell the car after everything has been addressed? I have a 6 year warranty with 5.5 years left, transferable. It has a brand new Gen 2 350R Voodoo with 200 miles on it, new pads/rotors, new half shafts, fully detailed by dealer. ~11,800 miles on car and it’s immaculate. It’s never going to be more perfect than it is right now (after rattle and splitter is fixed).

It’s made me feel like I’m not meant to own this car given all my bad karma. I just have such a sour taste that I can’t enjoy it anymore.

Appreciate any advice, thank you.

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpeg

Last edited:

mariusvt

Established Member
It's frustrating but that's what the warranty is for. I'd just let them sort it.

If you sell it are you going to disclose all these problems to the prospective buyer and entertain the likely ensuing lower offer?

a68stang

Established Member
Buyer will have an excellent history. I have all the service records, tons of pictures, including the new motor w/ build date. But I’m not giving it away it’s a solid car just a really terrible dealership experience. It’s actually better than new now. I put brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports when I got it (couple hundred miles on them). They replaced all brake rotors and pads, new half shafts, new engine, fully detailed. This was THE one when I bought it, was closest I’d seen to new without insanely low miles. I’d have to get what I paid for it if selling. The new motor alone makes it more desirable than it was. I’m just exhausted from all the time lost. Have only had the car in my possession for 3 of my 6 months of ownership. Missed the whole summer, road trips and events planned with friends. By the time I get to driving it again it’ll be due for winter storage. Might feel different in time, but this was the straw that broke the camels back.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
This front splitter is a well experienced issue in the GT350 community.

I hit a rock on the Million Dollar Highway. Had a lot of under body repair work. The shop put my splitter on wrong. It was the first thing I looked at post repair, and made them sort it out before I left. After getting it home, I looked over everything else they did, and found a few additional things that they missed.

I wouldn't trust any shop without personal verification and inspection of quality work.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe you should trade it I for the GTD. Make a video for your YouTubes and TikToks application for Ford documenting all this.

On a serious note, that sucks. I really want a 20 GT350. Used the down payment I had for one and paid cash for my shit ass Mach 1. Should have bought the GT350.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I went through this, motor and splitter. They gave me back a brand new motor with a CEL...twice lol. And the second splitter they left out 14 pieces of hardware...14. The pieces they did put in were all mismatched and incorrect.

I have a ZL1 now

a68stang

Established Member

I hit a rock on the Million Dollar Highway. Had a lot of under body repair work. The shop put my splitter on wrong. It was the first thing I looked at post repair, and made them sort it out before I left. After getting it home, I looked over everything else they did, and found a few additional things that they missed.

I wouldn't trust any shop without personal verification and inspection of quality work.
Never would have imagined the splitter was so complicated. Here I thought I’d done my homework on the issues with these cars. Car is back at dealer now, fixing both issues and writing up a buyback. Met with service manager and dealer manager together when I pulled in. Not sure what direction I’m going yet but I’ll certainly double check everything before and if I take it back in my possession.

a68stang

Established Member
I went through this, motor and splitter. They gave me back a brand new motor with a CEL...twice lol. And the second splitter they left out 14 pieces of hardware...14. The pieces they did put in were all mismatched and incorrect.

I have a ZL1 now
This is exactly where my head is at right now. Been a long time Ford fan but a Z06 or ZL1 is looking like the perfect palette cleanser assuming the LT4 is reliable. Mustangs were my first love. My first and second cars were mustangs (‘68, ‘98 Cobra). Went from so excited to so low with this experience, has really soured me on Ford.

a68stang

Established Member

Had met with the tech and talked for half hour when new engine arrived. Great guy, wanted to take his time and insure everything was right. I said it’s ready when it’s ready take your time. I felt confident. I’m honestly not mad at the tech, just the situation. I know how much work there was with this, so many opportunities to miss something.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
This is exactly where my head is at right now. Been a long time Ford fan but a Z06 or ZL1 is looking like the perfect palette cleanser assuming the LT4 is reliable. Mustangs were my first love. My first and second cars were mustangs (‘68, ‘98 Cobra). Went from so excited to so low with this experience, has really soured me on Ford.
I've had little issues with every brand here, but ford by far won the shitty service department award. All they had to do was drive it around the block and know they forgot to plug in the back of the intake sensor, or the cam relearn process. Little stuff. But the splitter, considering I'd sent them the 5 minute video which explains how to do it perfectly...that was my breaking point. Well documented issues and they wanted to say I hit something, as if you couldn't see all the tabs ripped off the bumper only to find a few holes that were perfect (because nothing was ever threaded into them). It was like listening to my 6yo try to lie. Never again.

Anyway, you can give the LT4 and tr6060 all the hell you want. Some earlier models had oil pump failures(17-18) and I'm not sure we won't see some newer ones start to go with time and miles. It's a melling pump that allegedly had a bad batch, and katech makes a billet replacement...but it's a job and a half. Many replace when doing a cam(this is what I chose).

The manual zl1 will also bog if you try to launch it. These are the only two cons I can think of. C7 z06 is a rocket in auto form, never ridden in a manual.

In my short time with the 350, I really developed a disdain for some of the Shelby bejeweled jacket crowd, they couldn't believe a car could go through a quart of oil in 350 miles, nor could there be so many problems. "It's less than 1%" was the common phrase and we now know that was bullshit(in 17-18 models). One guy did this long write up and blog defending it...he had 3 motors in that car before giving up lol.

I do still love mustangs, I just hated everything about my time with the 350.

Saleen498

Established Member
I voted to keep it after the fixes. I had the stuck clutch issue at 12,007 miles on my GT. Ford opened it then wouldnt warrenty it becauseI was 7 miles over the warrenty period. Had It replaced with a McLeod rst and when I got it back from the dealer it wouldnt hold second gear. I considered getting rid of the car but instead went over whatever the ford techs touched, noticed the shifter was mounted loosly and replaced it with a MGW, got 2nd back and never went back to the dealer. 101k on it now and i love the car.
I would get the car back. Thtow it up in the air and look it over, then steer clear of anyone but yourself working on your car.
Its not just the ford techs either, had a nightmare issue with the BMW dealer for a simple warrentied oil filter gasket that turned into months without the car and $13k in repairs including new turbos. All unnecessary. And a chevy dealer who couldnt do a simple free oil change resulted in a filter loose and oil all over the driveway, then the dealer manager stopping by to make it right but showed up with the wrong grade oil. No one knows your car better than you do after miles start being put on it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I voted to keep it after the fixes. I had the stuck clutch issue at 12,007 miles on my GT. Ford opened it then wouldnt warrenty it becauseI was 7 miles over the warrenty period. Had It replaced with a McLeod rst and when I got it back from the dealer it wouldnt hold second gear. I considered getting rid of the car but instead went over whatever the ford techs touched, noticed the shifter was mounted loosly and replaced it with a MGW, got 2nd back and never went back to the dealer. 101k on it now and i love the car.
I would get the car back. Thtow it up in the air and look it over, then steer clear of anyone but yourself working on your car.
Its not just the ford techs either, had a nightmare issue with the BMW dealer for a simple warrentied oil filter gasket that turned into months without the car and $13k in repairs including new turbos. All unnecessary. And a chevy dealer who couldnt do a simple free oil change resulted in a filter loose and oil all over the driveway, then the dealer manager stopping by to make it right but showed up with the wrong grade oil. No one knows your car better than you do after miles start being put on it.

100%

The toughest lesson for a "car guy" to learn is you must do all your work yourself. MUST.

Once your mind is set on this and you commit to it (buy the tools, carve out the time, etc etc) you can enjoy whatever brand/model you want.

a68stang

Established Member
I've had little issues with every brand here, but ford by far won the shitty service department award. All they had to do was drive it around the block and know they forgot to plug in the back of the intake sensor, or the cam relearn process. Little stuff. But the splitter, considering I'd sent them the 5 minute video which explains how to do it perfectly...that was my breaking point. Well documented issues and they wanted to say I hit something, as if you couldn't see all the tabs ripped off the bumper only to find a few holes that were perfect (because nothing was ever threaded into them). It was like listening to my 6yo try to lie. Never again.

Anyway, you can give the LT4 and tr6060 all the hell you want. Some earlier models had oil pump failures(17-18) and I'm not sure we won't see some newer ones start to go with time and miles. It's a melling pump that allegedly had a bad batch, and katech makes a billet replacement...but it's a job and a half. Many replace when doing a cam(this is what I chose).

The manual zl1 will also bog if you try to launch it. These are the only two cons I can think of. C7 z06 is a rocket in auto form, never ridden in a manual.

In my short time with the 350, I really developed a disdain for some of the Shelby bejeweled jacket crowd, they couldn't believe a car could go through a quart of oil in 350 miles, nor could there be so many problems. "It's less than 1%" was the common phrase and we now know that was bullshit(in 17-18 models). One guy did this long write up and blog defending it...he had 3 motors in that car before giving up lol.

I do still love mustangs, I just hated everything about my time with the 350.
That last statement hit home. I love mustangs but have had a terrible time with what should have been my absolute favorite car. I wanted to believe the 1% rareness of issues with 350s but that doesn’t matter when you are the 1% (I believe its so much higher). And thank you for the info on the Chevys. I remember hearing about the launch bog issue with ZL1s. Weird annoyance that I could overlook I’m assuming. I’ve never used launch control (never had a car with it). I honestly turn just about everything off (so many button presses : / ) and like to try and tame the car myself. I like both ZL1 and Z06, leaning Z06 right now because I like the idea of the purpose built platform and light weight. Although I feel like ZL1s are really popular now, second renaissance.

a68stang

Established Member
100%

The toughest lesson for a "car guy" to learn is you must do all your work yourself. MUST.

Once your mind is set on this and you commit to it (buy the tools, carve out the time, etc etc) you can enjoy whatever brand/model you want.
Preach. That’s how I’ve been with all my other cars. Were always older cars that I did all the maintenance on my self (‘68, ‘98). Cheaper cars, lower stakes. I had the time and would get the tools. Given that I couldn’t fathom owning a 350 without a warranty, especially now, felt like this was the only avenue. Plus I thought it’d be simpler to just have a bone stock car and simply have it serviced. First time I’ve been so hands off with a car. Sure enough, here we are.

a68stang

Established Member
I hear you. This awkward dance of you, techs, and warranty coverage gets to be so frustrating. Instead of just solving the problem there are all these hoops to jump through and so many opportunities for error or misdiagnosis. You can sense the solution but you have to end up being the one to figure it out. I sent them forums posts from here detailing exactly the circumstances and solution for the rattle. To be continued.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
That last statement hit home. I love mustangs but have had a terrible time with what should have been my absolute favorite car. I wanted to believe the 1% rareness of issues with 350s but that doesn’t matter when you are the 1% (I believe its so much higher). And thank you for the info on the Chevys. I remember hearing about the launch bog issue with ZL1s. Weird annoyance that I could overlook I’m assuming. I’ve never used launch control (never had a car with it). I honestly turn just about everything off (so many button presses : / ) and like to try and tame the car myself. I like both ZL1 and Z06, leaning Z06 right now because I like the idea of the purpose built platform and light weight. Although I feel like ZL1s are really popular now, second renaissance.
yeah it aint 1% lol...at the time i went through it there, would be 2-3 a week pop just in the facebook group. kind of amazing to see so many take up for it, they were literally seeing what i and everyone else was seeing. seemed to have gotten better latter half of 18 on.

i can't turn the nannies off and launch mine anyway, so it is of no annoyance to me haha. if you are ever on a road course, the zl1 is both a sledgehammer and a scalpel, that is what i like about it. i still stare at gt500s though, but i am not at a point where i want my fun car to be auto or DCT...yet.

you ever have any other questions, lemme know. i wish ya luck with whatever you decide.

i had an eerily similar experience to you, even down to the work done on it...they aint letting you install a 20k motor, let alone the few hundred dollar spoiler, it's all warranty work...so you are at the dealer's mercy, and THAT is what sucks the most

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
100%

Yep. **** dealers and most mechanics. Can’t trust any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread