GT350 on the dyno!!!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Just came here to type this!

In my ideal world, all the crap TC can be turned off, the car engine calibration stays constant, and the driver can control the throttle and the clutch.
We can hope, lol.
I think the C7 Z06 M7 cars are even worse than our GT500's are. Those cars are seriously hobbled, clearly to protect the powertrain.
IMO, as cars make more power and get heavier to meet myriad regulations and requirements, the OEM's that manufacture the remaining manual transmission cars will do this to avoid excessive warranty claims. Obviously, they can control lots more with automated gearboxes (whether multi-plate clutch or torque convertor based), so those cars have the advantage.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

jtfx6552

Established Member
Neat videos!
It's hard to tell what those short times would be. With the trap speeds these will likely see (118-122 or so) they'll need to be in the 1.7-1.8's to get down into the mid-11's, especially with a manual.
S.

Videos are cool, if these cars behave like the old N/A 4V cobras, they didn't appear to be launching the "best" way. In the old days, if I remember correctly, it's been awhile, one needed to hold the RPMs somewhere between 3 and 4K and slip the shit out of the clutch barely spinning a tire.

As they pointed out, let it out too fast and major bog.

Shin

Established Member
Just wondering wouldn't the dyno numbers make this car underrated? I see people in here saying 12%(FWD) or 18%(AWD) but those aren't typical for RWD drivetrain loss, it's typically 15%.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Neat videos!
It's hard to tell what those short times would be. With the trap speeds these will likely see (118-122 or so) they'll need to be in the 1.7-1.8's to get down into the mid-11's, especially with a manual.
S.

According to another article I found on Motortrend, the GT350 did 12.4 @ 117.8 mph and the GT350R 12.1 @ 119.6 mph.

http://wot.motortrend.com/does-the-shelby-gt350r-make-more-power-than-the-regular-gt350-wvideo.html

Updating first page with new link and img of power difference between GT350 and GT350R.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
Also good to note the articles confirm california piss 91 was used in a hot dyno room.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The auto manufacturers have really made leaps and bounds improvements in drivetrain efficiency. It used to be 15% for manual and 23% for auto. Now the good drivetrains are 12% manuals and 15% for factory autos.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
after seeing Matt f's quick lap video and seeing this I'm glad i didn't put down coin on this car.

Matts lap was in the rain, with stability and traction control on in a regular 350. Plus you can tell he was agitated by the lack of seat time they offered him. I'd put zero stock on his drive of the car.

So [email protected] in 100* heat is bad? Ok good to know. I guess if it's not 11.5@125 it's a dog...

Fall weather and proper fuel, plus a broken in car with some miles should easily crack 11's.

If these cars are making 470whp with 100-115* iat's, I have no doubt in my mind that they'll run hero times this fall and next spring deep in the 11's.

Also, having watched their launches, driver mod alone could have gotten them in the 12.0-11.9 range on their test days IMO.

I'm glad they pointed out the wheel weight represented a whp improvement vs the base car, if anyone thought I was up in the clouds, looks like I wasn't.

One question I have, where the hell are the z28 numbers? Did they not put the z28 on the rollers same day/dyno? They had one right along side.

I'd also love to know how the ls7 did in 100-115* with 100-115* iat's in 100* heat at the drag strip, 12.6's@113 is my guess. I think they've gone 12.3@116 with it before.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Lol it was pouring and the track was wet.

I was there the next day and drove the car in be dry. It's insane

Some people grasp at straws man. I personally don't have a gt350r because I didn't organize my finances in time to pre order one of the r's or even a regular 350, and I didn't have the right connections.

The car itself? It's brilliant. Some people are being egomaniacs.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think it's a winner, I agree, 11s in the spring and fall, with a clutch protection caveat.

The R is the real winner, it is truely a shame that all those that want one can't get one.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think it's a winner, I agree, 11s in the spring and fall, with a clutch protection caveat.

The R is the real winner, it is truely a shame that all those that want one can't get one.

Well shit, i think everyone WANTS one, its just a wee bit out of my budget though haha.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well shit, i think everyone WANTS one, its just a wee bit out of my budget though haha.

If anyone could walk into a dealer and buy one for MSRP, a bunch more people could afford them.

In my case, it's not a question of affordability, just I'm not willing to line a dealers pocket with thousands I'll never see on resale,

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
The auto manufacturers have really made leaps and bounds improvements in drivetrain efficiency. It used to be 15% for manual and 23% for auto. Now the good drivetrains are 12% manuals and 15% for factory autos.

Or the dyno's changed. The manuals aren't any different over time.

Users who are viewing this thread