GT350/R Price Drop? Time to Buy?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt it. Don't forget Ford is still producing an '18 GT350. Not a chance in hell the L2PP GT is going to outperform it around a track. Like I posted earlier, it will be on par with the SS 1LE.

I didnt say it will out perform. I said it wont be very far off. Just like the ss 1le.

ANGREY

Established Member
This is like the only valid point you have made. Lol

Yes, totally agree there, except the "5.0 sounds like garbage" part.

350 looks all the way. No comparison there.

Ill take the 5.0 motor over that flat plane crank bs, all day and twice on Sunday!

The coyote is the best cross plane motor Ford has ever produced. It's light years ahead of the old modular, even the 4V. But for some reason, Ford went back to a flat head firing order and in MY OPINION it makes it sound AWFUL. Not just bad, but AWFUL.

I've probably watched 10x more exhaust videos than everyone reading this thread combined. I've obsessed and obsessed over it (as I'm doing my exhaust now). You'd think that on a similar displacement motor, of similar design it would produce a similar exhaust tone (with the same style of exhaust or essentially the same paramters).

WRONG. You can take what was a very beautiful sounding exhaust system on previous mustangs and put it on a new coyote with the flathead firing order and it sounds horrible.

In fact I searched and searched and could barely find any newer GT exhaust vids that didn't make me want to vomit. And I'm a car guy. I love certain sounding exhausts on Vets and LS motors, old 2V and 4V modular, the pushrods....tons of cars out there that with the right combination, sound awesome.

I've found one, 1, ONE 2015+ exhaust video of a coyote GT that didn't sound deplorable. There's just something about the secondary pulse pattern that makes it sound terrible.

Again, these are all personal preference opinions.

But I'll tell you I'm not alone. I went digging because I was puzzled and on dozens of sites (including this one) you can dig up threads discussing this very issue.

The reason I brought it up is because I was concerned that a particular brand of exhaust wouldn't sound right or that maybe the company went "bad" or something because even though it sounds wonderful on previous mustangs it sounds like complete dog shit on newer GTs, then I just came to realize it wasn't/isn't just them. It's all exhaust sounds awful on the new firing order.

ANGREY

Established Member
I didnt say it will out perform. I said it wont be very far off. Just like the ss 1le.

I've already posted and belabored the point about "incremental" improvements and what they cost.

There's little to no way to do a value analysis of the PP GT and the 350 until we see true and hard numbers.

We've seen the numbers from the drag strip, but I don't really care much about that (see previous discussion). Show me lap times. Show me braking distances. Show me slalom speeds and skid pad G's. Show me the stuff where the 350 was made to live. Don't show me drag times or towing capacities, cause those values ain't why I bought the 350.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive heard some 5.0s that sound plenty good, although in my opinion, nothing beats the sound of a 4v modular.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I've already posted and belabored the point about "incremental" improvements and what they cost.

There's little to no way to do a value analysis of the PP GT and the 350 until we see true and hard numbers.

We've seen the numbers from the drag strip, but I don't really care much about that (see previous discussion). Show me lap times. Show me braking distances. Show me slalom speeds and skid pad G's. Show me the stuff where the 350 was made to live. Don't show me drag times or towing capacities, cause those values ain't why I bought the 350.

Its just my guess but I suspect the new gt with the pp2 will be within the second off the 350.

That plus the edge at the dragstrip, will me what will make it the better value for performance in my opinion.

Id still get the 350 though. Just on rarity alone.

ANGREY

Established Member
Ive heard some 5.0s that sound plenty good, although in my opinion, nothing beats the sound of a 4v modular.

You and me both. There's something about the old cobras that were just unique and "mustang" sounding.

But the same exhaust setups on old 4.6 4V motors (or same companies) now sound completely different (I'll put it that way:) to me.

Again, after being puzzled why so many companies that I used to think had a certain sound were different on newer coyotes, I started to search and it's most likely the weird firing order.

It creates this rapid thumpy secondary pulse that dominates the note. The flat head firing order actually features exhaust double ups on both sides of the firing order (whereas a typical LS engine for instance only features one double up).

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think LS engines in vettes sound like tractors lol.

It does seem to have a lot to do with exhaust setup. I heard a 2v swapped coyote that had the mufflers in the same place as the old engine and it sounded almost exactly like a 2v. I was blown away.

ANGREY

Established Member
I take it you've never heard the old pushrod 5.0 with a set of Flowmaster mufflers.

I think my point is that I've heard great sounding cars from just about every motor era and every make/model and with the newer coyotes, it's difficult (for me). It's got a weird sound to it.

You put a set of Corsas or Borla or Magnaflow or Bassani on any of the other cars and they sound like those manufacturers, but you put them on the newer yotes and it sounds.....awful.

ANGREY

Established Member
I think LS engines in vettes sound like tractors lol.

It does seem to have a lot to do with exhaust setup. I heard a 2v swapped coyote that had the mufflers in the same place as the old engine and it sounded almost exactly like a 2v. I was blown away.

Some of the most beautiful exhaust sounds to ever leave a vehicle are vettes.

That's pure ecstasy.

All incredible sounding.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

That's pure ecstasy.

All incredible sounding.
I listen to them all day at road courses. Camaros, in my opinion, sound far better.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

That's pure ecstasy.

All incredible sounding.

I knew there was a reason I liked you...

Havent hear the name spdkilz in years. That guy's vette was my inspiration. I had the same exhaust set up on my z06 as he did.

ANGREY

Established Member
I knew there was a reason I liked you...

Havent hear the name spdkilz in years. That guy's vette was my inspiration. I had the same exhaust set up on my z06 as he did.

I had Bassani on my other mustangs. Sounded incredible with a set of headers and an x.

Listen to the Bassani on the newer 2015+ GT's. Makes you wanna vomit. Completely different.

You can listen to Bassani exhausts on just about any mustang or Camaro or Vette and they have a signature tone/sound. Listen to them on a new GT and you're like "man, what the hell happened to them?"

ARH pure thunder starts to sound okay on the new GT's but there's still something not quite right with the secondary pulse that makes it sound lumpy and not smooth or a nice singing tone at rpm rise. It sounds coarse and unrefined. Brutish if you will.

Anyway, sound is very subjective and personal taste. I won't deny that a newer coyote motor is way better than an old 4V or a pushrod 5.0, but they sure do sound...."DIFFERENT."

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
^^ That video does not do it justice to how loud it is.

The first time I went to the track with Nick I was looking at something over the trailer when he started up his car. My head was probably 12" from that exhaust pipe and it about knocked me on the ground.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^ That video does not do it justice to how loud it is.

The first time I went to the track with Nick I was looking at something over the trailer when he started up his car. My head was probably 12" from that exhaust pipe and it about knocked me on the ground.

lol

I honestly wish it was rear-exit exhaust like the Gen II GTS'. I can't stress how loud it is in the cabin on the way up Alpha 0 at HPT. The driver mirror is about 3 feet off the concrete barrier that acts like a ricochet. I had to start wearing ear plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread