GT350 SHW Composite Brake Discs

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
__GT350shotforwriteupcopy1.jpg

Ford said:
For optimum handling, the wheels need to respond quickly to the contours of the road and driver input. Reducing unsprung mass is key to improving that response, but a balance must be struck between taking mass out of a suspension and delivering truly capable braking performance.

Due to the significant speeds the car can develop, GT350 features the most track-credible brake system ever offered on a Ford vehicle in terms of absolute stopping power, fade resistance and brake pedal feel. The brakes are two-piece cross-drilled iron discs mounted to aluminum hats. At the front are massive 394-millimeter rotors clamped by Brembo six-piston fixed calipers with integrated caliper bridges, while 380-millimeter rotors at the rear utilize four-piston calipers.

Without a doubt, most everyone with a pulse knew that the upcoming 2016 GT350 would come with Brembo brakes in one form or another. They have become an OEM favorite. But what of the rotors? Would they come from Brembo as well or another Ford supplier? During last week's release most seemed to gloss over the source but were quick to note the cross-drilling on each one at all four corners. That source is SHW and they have seriously elevated the capability of this car to a level Ford faithful had yet to witness (my apologies to the Ford GT). So who is SHW and why were they chosen?

SHW Automotive

"The SHW Group is one of the leading automobile suppliers offering products that contribute substantially to a reduction in fuel consumption and consequently also CO2 emissions. Our two business segments of Pumps and Engine Components and Brake Discs supply well-known automotive manufacturers, manufacturers of commercial, agricultural and construction vehicles and other automotive suppliers."

SHW, while primarily German, is looking to expand across the globe. China, Brazil, and North America weigh heavily in their sights. At current, SHW produces brake components in two locations in Germany, a foundry in Tuttlingen and production of composite brake discs and machining in Neuhausen. SHW's brake disc segment produces/develops monobloc ventilated brake discs (primarily cast iron) in addition to composite brake discs (an aluminum pot/bell with an iron friction ring). In the case of the GT350, we are concerned with the latter. Note that we are in good company here...

_SHWforecast.jpg

Also not the projected sales growth in this segment, particularly between 2014-2015. Are we to partially thank stringent emission/CAFE regulations for much of this (as much as it pains me to ask:))?

Regardless of the origin, everyone can agree that the GT350 shows promise in the braking department thanks to the hardware. A front tire/wheel/caliper/rotor combination prior chassis owners would kill for...

___2016GT350brakezz.jpg

zTobbrakes.jpg

The "Tech"

Ford engineers were given nod to equip the latest GT350 iteration with hardware that previously would have never made the cut. The engine, suspension, and thankfully the brakes, deviate quite a bit from even the best of Ford's 2014/2015 performance offerings. The media noticed test mules that had zip tied covers over their wheels so that the hardware that lurked beneath couldn't be identified. We did catch a glance at some carbon ceramic rotors but those aren't part of the plan for the standard GT350 (we all know where they R going). So what's so special about the rotors that will be on this car?

Front rotors will be 15.55" in diameter and the rears will be 14.96" in diameter. As SHW puts it "The composite discs made by SHW consist of a grey cast iron friction ring and an aluminum bell. Both parts are linked together by means of steel pins, where the friction ring can freely glide on those pins in radial direction. Thus it is guaranteed that the friction ring can expand independently from the bell while heated under force. Heat tensions of the disc and the risk of cracks can be minimized. By this way, the composite disc combines extreme durability with highest safety. In addition, a composite disc has less weight than conventional brake discs made from iron. By use of aluminum, a possible weight reduction of up to 8 kg per vehicle can be reached."

The "pin" method that SHW uses is quite a bit different than what we typically see on two piece floating rotors. Many here may be familiar with the use of bobbins, dogs, plates, etc, but not radial pins. The pins are fused to the bell at the foundry. The following is a general depiction of the system components.

bremsscheibe_02.jpg

In essence, this design separates or isolates the aluminum pot/bell from the iron friction ring. The pin design allows the ring to expand radially as heat saturates it while limiting how much can be transferred into the aluminum bell (as well as wheel hubs, etc). Excessive heat can induce distortion into the friction ring and result in unpredictable braking performance and pad wear. This helps to reduce stress in the rotor which is major concern if cross-drilling is a design objective.

Note the detail in the following cutaway. If the GT350 specific rotors share the same construction as this SHW Audi rotor, replacement will most likely consist of the entire assembly. It'll be interesting to see how much Ford Parts and Service will charge for these.

SHWRotorCutaway.jpg

In my view, Ford has definitely turned a page here. Quite a bit of attention has been given to unsprung mass reduction and it won't be limited to this car. If stringent legislation and performance vehicles are going to peacefully coexist, weight management will be an ever increasing constraint upon specific design goals. Hopefully, economies of scale can ease the pain of the commensurate increase in cost. This car marks the beginning of a new era and I'm excited to see how far it will progress in terms of performance throughout its life cycle. Thumbs up to everyone involved in this effort, including SHW for some serious brake hardware.

___2016bopeninlightroom-Edit1.jpg

91z28350

Established Member
Nice write up Tob. Will be interesting to see how the cross drilled rotors hold up to track days. Everyone I have seen post about cross drilled rotors say they are no bueno for serious track use, with examples of cracked rotors after even one HPDE excursion. I think they look great, but my Shelby is a street driven, 1/4 -1/8th car, so they work well for my purposes.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
damn you, Tob!!! i've been sitting on this pic...

attachment.php

...as well as the previous pic of the audi rotor in the OP ever since i saw this pic...
http://image.automotive.com/f/news/...ustang-shelby-cobra-gt350-spy-photo-brake.jpg
...waiting to find the time to do a comparison breakdown with the aforementioned audi rotors.

guess that's what happens when you wait 3-4 weeks to post up interesting info, LOL. awesome stuff as usual Tob, more detail than i was planning! i do find it interesting that ford went this route though, instead of the co-cast(iron ring + aluminum hat, cast together to produce a lightweight 1 piece rotor)/dual-cast(ductile iron ring, grey iron hat to allow for a parking brake drum) rotors that brembo and a mexican company whose name i can't think of at the moment(who supplies the C7 vette rotors) have been pushing for the last few years.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ry, what's funny is that I have both of those images (the first two you show) in a growing folder on SHW related brake hardware on different vehicles. And since you mentioned Audi, you have to be impressed with the SHW "Wave" rotors they use on some of their high end vehicles. Intriguing, no?

_Audirotors.jpg

__Audi2013_zzzzzz.jpg

AudiSHWbrakes4-1.jpg

I'm not trying to get off topic but rather to get a better sense about a company I had never heard of before. Rotors like the Audi units pictured above make me glad that Ford engineers chose SHW.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
extremely intriguing! i like to think that i have a good understanding of the majority of the systems involved in automobiles; engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. but brakes, which are comparatively simple, have always posed some problems for me to mentally reconcile. the system as a whole is easy enough to understand, but brake rotors just seem to be a black magic device...
- lower rotational mass leads to shorter braking distances, but a lack of rotor material(especially without cooling ducts, which we all know was the '13/'14 GT500's issue) leads to overheating
- cross-drilling promotes cooling and a bit of de-gassing, but often causes stress risers leading to cracking
- it's one of the only parts of the modern day vehicle that we haven't found a realistically more suitable material to use than iron
- ring dimensions should in theory be no greater than pad swept area to reduce weight, but a larger ring is less likely to overheat
- 2-piece rotors are of course lower in weight, but typically have minor warping issues due to the temperature difference between the ring & hat as well as the attachment method, if not utilizing a very specialized method(such as SHW's design)
- single piece rotors are of course much heavier, but offer a lot more cooling capacity in exchange
- and, after considering all of this, automotive rotor design goes out the window when it comes to motorcycles, due to the massive difference in braking ability vs vehicle weight

...maybe it's just me, but i find balancing quench area, combustion chamber size, head gasket thickness, piston shape, and dynamic compression easier to understand than figuring out the "perfect" brake rotor, LOL. granted, with SO many different types/styles of rotors and their various features out there, it doesn't look like anyone in the auto industry has found the optimal compromise in a rotor either.
all of that aside, i'm DEFINITELY interested in seeing how these hold up on track on the GT350, especially over the long term with a heavy car like this(remember when the '00R used to be considered a 'pig' at 3590lbs, despite the "weight reduction?). i hate to say it, but i don't have high hopes under heavy use, because i've read some comments from lambo gallardo(which is equipped with similar discs when not optioned with CCs) owners, as well as a few audi RS owners, who've had to replace the factory SHW rotors after track use due to cracking around the - you guessed it - cross-drilling. granted, i believe all of the audi RS cars are 4000+lbs, but the gallardo is still lighter than the GT350 should come in at.
from my research, it looks as though porsche has put the most time and cash into ferrous disc research(decades worth), going as far as casting the 'cross-drilled' holes in to eliminate the stress risers caused by actual drilling, but even they weren't able to eliminate eventual cracking around the holes. it leads me to wonder if the cracking isn't caused by stress risors, but rather the temperature differential(and thus expansion rate) at the holes compared to the material around them. with the holes and the material around them constantly expanding and contracting at different rates as a vehicle is being used, something has gotta give, right?

...i might have fried my brain for the night...

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I wonder if Full Tilt Boogie Racing made a bid to supply the rotors? So far, I'm very happy with mine. It would have been a big boost to their business, provided they could keep up with capacity.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Bruce isn't a Tier supplier. Ford would have been looking for a Tier One, capable of supplying and developing a braking module such as this. How Ford worked with SHW and Brembo together on this one would be an interesting story. No doubt Brembo would have liked to supply the rotors as well as their calipers. How SHW was able to trump a competitive bid by Brembo is something I hope to learn about.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The biggest thing I take from all this, is that Ford seems to have really done their homework and put a real effort into this car. Thats good for us.

guarnibl

Established Member
I still hope they offer carbon ceramics as an option on the car. But this is probably a pretty large step up for braking on a Mustang -- hopefully the pedal feel is a lot better than it was on my Boss.

93SVTvenom

Established Member
Pretty interesting. My 09 zx10r has wave rotors as well and was wondering when they would put them on cars. I know it is still being tweaked so it would be interesting to see if that design makes it into final production. I like the route they are going with the standard design as it seems superior in the heat dissipation area. May have to look a little further into the how the wave design effects cooling vs standard cut. Either way they go though in the end this will have some serious stopping potential. I say keep the CCB for the "R" version so us mere mortals can afford the regular version.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... How SHW was able to trump a competitive bid by Brembo is something I hope to learn about.

My bet is a cheaper (lower grade) formulation of materials. That or they were willing to supply the rotors at a loss just to get a foot in the door with Ford and eventually become the standard supplier of performance rotors (or rotors, period) for all of Ford's cars, which would turn into a big profit.

04svtsnke

Established Member
My bet is a cheaper (lower grade) formulation of materials. That or they were willing to supply the rotors at a loss just to get a foot in the door with Ford and eventually become the standard supplier of performance rotors (or rotors, period) for all of Ford's cars, which would turn into a big profit.

Would assume this

Users who are viewing this thread