GT350 Tremec TR3160

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
There are lots of options for the trans. I think Tremec could easily increase the torque capacity of the 3160 to handle ~450 ft lbs. Should be interesting to see.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I'm maxed out on the pay scale already.:-D
LOL, fair enough, fair enough

The new 5.2 needs some forged Ti rods. Not the GM crap but some nice ones... Although that would be pricey :(
from my research, drag racers replace titanium rods at around 150 passes, and they are about 3 times the price of an equivalent drop forged steel rod. they just aren't needed when a quality drop forged steel piece can do the job for less money.

There are lots of options for the trans. I think Tremec could easily increase the torque capacity of the 3160 to handle ~450 ft lbs. Should be interesting to see.
like mentioned earlier, the torque rating of a transmission is based on a given GVWR as well, so the 3160 is well within safe range behind the 5.2

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Forbes said:
The only transmission available on the Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang is a six-speed manual, the driving purist’s choice. The massive, cross-drilled brakes are among the most powerful in terms of stopping power of any Ford to date, with the idea that the Shelby GT350 is truly meant to be thrashed on race tracks. To that end an optional Track Pack offers oil and transmission coolers.

I had seen mention of an oil cooler as well as a differential cooler. Nice to see this new transmission got the same consideration.

From here.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
GM needs to drop the titanium rod BS already, nothing more than a marketing gimmick when steel rods would obviously be cheaper. the titanium turds in the LS7 don't hold a candle to the forged H-beams found in the '03/'04 cobras or the ford GT for instance. i believe the powdered metal pieces in the GT500 are about equal in strength, with builders pulling the factory rods out of either engine over 1000RWHP.

I'm pretty sure the titanium rods are to save rotating mass, not to be strong. Its N/A and huge displacement so they want it to rev faster and lighter parts will do that. GM isnt trying to build super stout engines that will survive massive boost.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the titanium rods are to save rotating mass, not to be strong. Its N/A and huge displacement so they want it to rev faster and lighter parts will do that. GM isnt trying to build super stout engines that will survive massive boost.

Yup

Lower reciprocating mass. Ti actual has less tensile strength than steel, so strength wouldn't be a reason to utilize it. They must have determined during development that steel was too heavy. Aluminum rods just are not feasible for a factory car, so Ti was the middle ground. I am sure cost played into the decision.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just a quick point guys, the 3160 425lbft torque capacity might be all that's needed. A flat plane crank motor is not really known for torque production. Say the motor makes 525 hp at 8k .... It might only have 425 peak torque. In fact might have even less in theory... The 5.2 liter displacement should you would think guarantee 400lbft... But look at the exotics that use FPC... They do not make much torque as compared to hp!!!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
5.2 liter displacement should you would think guarantee 400lbft... But look at the exotics that use FPC... They do not make much torque as compared to hp!!!

Ford has guaranteed at least 400 tq so it will be close to the limit.

With the changes Ford has made to the 3160, it could handle more than 425. I believe in one of the interviews they said the changes helped ease the forces on the transmission.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I agree in theory that the new 3160 will have a higher torque rating in the gt350, but look at the m82... its maximum rating is lower than the max torque of the coyote....... just saying

jes_csx

Established Member
Max tq is usually based on a vehicle weight in excess of 6k lbs. I believe the mt82s rating is based on a 9k lb vehicle if I remember correctly...

turd burglar

Established Member
Any word on the compatibility of this trans with the s197? Blew my first mt82 at 9k miles with an rxt and cobra jet setup. 2nd trans blew less than 5k miles later and was "built" (cryo treated rem polished, the works) and it blew 4th gear apart again. Probably going to be selling the car at this point, 8k and this rxt don't mix well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Burglar, if you can give me a bit of time I'll compare the CAD data I have on the MT82 with the TR3160 I have up on a stand. I'll take a look at the spline count on the input shaft, bellhousing bolt pattern (should be the same), crossmember/trans mount location (TR3160 should mount up fine in the S197 chassis), and overall length. I believe the shifter would locate perfectly through the hole in the tunnel as well.

I can say that the fixed flange on the output shaft matches that of the '07-'12 GT500, as my '09 GT500 driveshaft bolted up perfectly.

_TR3160%20on%20stand.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Travis. This one is a little different than the others. The bolts at the crossmember can be removed and the jackpost in the center can raise the transmission up so that the rear mount/dampers can be removed or changed to something...custom, if necessary. The support at the front pivots or can remain "fixed."

This transmission shifts much like the TR6060 (when cold, anyway). A little less clunky though. The factory shifter is all over the place at the front mounting point when shifting.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
They did not leave off the assist spring.
I removed it today as my first mod.
The assist spring is so stiff that it seems the clutch won't even engage.
Very slow to come off the floor,caught it the first time I let the clutch out.
It's about time they delete it.The pedal effort is incredibly light even with the spring out.
Very impressive grip level without drama.

Users who are viewing this thread