GT500 as a daily driver?

andymarkv

Established Member
Each to their own, but my 08 not a daily driver for me ever. Too noisy mine has the dreaded front end clunk, tires howl, dynamated the whole arse end and doors and its still loud. springs are stiff, too few options, doesn't have climate control, outside temp, heated or cooled seats, no sync so manual tranny a pain for phone. positives stereo is ok, lots of power, its a looker. Owning a gt500 kind of like riding a Harley, loud, uncomfortable, but still cool and most who own love them, me included.

My 2012 f150 for daily driving, hand down.
I have to agree.... I LOVE my '07, it was the coolest thing....in '09 when I bought it used.

But I feel the '10+ are miles ahead in interior improvements, my "top of the line at the time" Shelby feels pretty cheap on the inside.

The stock clutch is pretty heavy too.... Not Cobra heavy, but DDing in town could get kind of old.

I was fortunate enough to get a 2010 clutch under the TSB and it is a MUCH lighter pedal effort.

Also, if you're concerned at all about MPG's of a DD.... I've never gotten over 20 on the highway. Obviously its less in town.

BUT! I still love the car!! Instant torque, roots style, is something I just can't get enough of!! And the modabilty is sweet!

If you can buy one right, it could make a really nice DD!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Ive been DD my 07 for about 2 1/2 years, I look forward to driving it everyday. As mentioned if you go 07-09 watch for the clutch TSB , other than that these are great cars and really a blast to drive.

williamwally

Established Member
Been daily driving mine, roughly 13k miles, since i got it last fall and love it every time I get in. The '11 seems to have a light enough clutch even for traffic. My gf even loves driving it all the time.
I have Pirelli wintersport tires on currently which make any cold weather/rain an absolute non issue. We had a bad winter and I was still able to get around (not quickly) even with snow/slush on the ground etc.

I say definitely do it!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I DD mine in NJ but I'm retired so I don't go out in snow. Drove in the rain today going 75-80 on the highway with no issues. As long as your smart and stay out of boost in bad weather there's no reason you can't DD one. Also make sure you have good all season tires.

32V SVT

Established Member
Each to their own, but my 08 not a daily driver for me ever. Too noisy mine has the dreaded front end clunk, tires howl, dynamated the whole arse end and doors and its still loud. springs are stiff, too few options, doesn't have climate control, outside temp, heated or cooled seats, no sync so manual tranny a pain for phone. positives stereo is ok, lots of power, its a looker. Owning a gt500 kind of like riding a Harley, loud, uncomfortable, but still cool and most who own love them, me included.

My 2012 f150 for daily driving, hand down.

Yeah, the earlier GT500's(Pre 2010) ride very differently than the late models...
I split the driving with my Escape only because fuel is cheaper. If I had an oil well I'd drive the Shelby every where!

Catalac, you need to test drive a used 2010 thru 2012 and you'll be trading that one in quick.
The clutch alone is completely different in weight and effort...
The ride is much more quiet, and really there's no need for a radio
with the music coming from that blown 5.4!!! :coolman:

shelby2

Established Member
I have a 2009 and Daily drive it. Even have two sets of wheels and tires. The stock rims have Snow tires on it and have a set of chrome cs40 for the summer. I absolutely love to drive my car everyday and you never know when your ticket is punched, So this way I won't say I wish I drove my car more if I end up at the pearly gates. You'll love driving it everyday. As mention look for the TSB to be done or have an RXT clutch installed. You'll never have to worry about it again if you do. The RXT makes it a very easy car to DD.

:burnout:

Lemmy

Established Member
Daily driver here. I have a 2010 last ride of the iron horse. The only thing about it is in the city, I get horrific mpg. Not bad on the open road. I didn't buy it to keep it garaged.

GRUNT0311

Established Member
I bought mine as a daily driver, I sold my brother inlaw my Jeep GC SRT8, missed getting sideways. Oh btw im new here. They way I see it if people drive vets and german fast cars everyday why cant I drive this everyday. When you die you can't take it with.

Users who are viewing this thread