GT500 Build Numbers Compounding Issue

Illinois9er

Established Member
I apologize up front if this isn't exactly in the right forum. I've recently researched a bit into the particular numbers made of my 08 and hit a wall that I don't think I can pass.

From the build print off that I've got it appears they only made 166 black GT500s in 08 that had the stripe delete. Next it appears that only 178 were made in 08 that has the red inserts for the interior. The problem I'm having now is that I can't see any info on compounding those two numbers to see how many all black cars, with no stripes and red interior were made in 2008.

Does anyone have any info or know of a direction to go to find anything out? Thanks

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
That's a tough one, I would guess around 10% so like 16-20 maybe. Not sure there's any way to find out unless you get the vin from all 166. Did you try calling anyone from Ford?

Clemson

Established Member
Same problem we all have - you can only break down the numbers so far, it leaves much to be desired. At least in my situation Im one of 47 SGM 820a cars. But how many of them have recaros and nav?? Who knows!!! I could be 1 of 2 or something....may never know.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had a GT500 that was one of 11, but I couldn't determine with what options (mine was loaded) how many others exsisted. I could have been one of one!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Meh... For me, once you try to claim "rarity" by breaking down combinations other than color, you are grasping at straws. The long and the short of it is there were a BUNCH of modern GT500's made. They are not rare. If your 2008 was 1 of 00X made that were red with silver stripes and this radio and that and this... It was still 1 of a bunch of 07 to 09's.

It will be a long, long time before the modern GT500's appreciate as collector cars.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you bought a S197 GT500 because of it's collectors value, I hope you are in your 20's and don't plan on cashing in until your in your late 60's.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There was a time, back in early 2011, when you could order a Deluxe Build sheet, that broke the MY down to your VIN.
The format for these sheets has changed, stops the MY breakdown @ color.
I have a sheet for my 11, shows " 1 of 2 ".....( base coupe, 1 option, no deletions )
Also have an e-mail from Ford customer service, telling me where the other ( 1 ) was sold.
I never bothered to get one for my 14, which according to the SVT spreadsheet, is " 1 of 21 ".

builttodrive

Established Member
I have a cousin who has an 11 coupe sterling grey svtpp red stripe. He had told me it was somewhat rare but I don't think I ever heard a number. We were at a rally this summer and there was another one there. He talked with the guy who had no clue the rarity of his. I think my cousin stated there were something like 7 of them made. Now thats pretty cool and I really like his car in that color combo. But sometimes having a 1 of 1 can mean you have a very undesirable combo. Like caff crap green with brown interior and no options. The 1 of 1 factor loses its appeal.

Clemson

Established Member
Im not worried about "collectors value" as I didnt buy this car as an investment. That being said, its nice to know that youre cruising around in a car you probably wont see another one of out in the world. Thats where the "rarity" factor plays in for me.

ponyboy96

Established Member
These cars are not rare at all. My last car was a 98 Formula WS6. 1 of 32 made from 98-02. That was rare and I didn't even know it until it sold.

builttodrive

Established Member
It is fun to know the numbers but ford just plain made too many for them to really mean a whole lot by the numbers. I am currently restoring in my shop a 67 427 R code Fairlane. It's 1 of 10 with the 427 dual quad and 4 speed. 1 of 15 with factory tach. 1 of 185 in black. Also a 1 of 1 70 Boss 302 and a 69 torino talladega. Those cars hold a little more in the rarity category. Sometimes the rareness is by mistake. I know of a local 69 chevelle that was accidentally ordered with a big block and aluminum heads because the dealer took the order wrong and checked aluminum heads instead of chrome valve covers on the order sheet. Made that car worth a fortune as it is something like 1 of 1 or 2...

Clemson

Established Member
Sometimes they are rare because they are giant pieces of crap no one wants......try finding a yugo these days lol.

Illinois9er

Established Member
Meh... For me, once you try to claim "rarity" by breaking down combinations other than color, you are grasping at straws. The long and the short of it is there were a BUNCH of modern GT500's made. They are not rare. If your 2008 was 1 of 00X made that were red with silver stripes and this radio and that and this... It was still 1 of a bunch of 07 to 09's.

It will be a long, long time before the modern GT500's appreciate as collector cars.

I'm not really trying to claim anything. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on how to compound the numbers further. Also, im not trying to get a value for the car so I can turn some cash. I've just recently purchased the car and will probably keep it forever.

Illinois9er

Established Member
These cars are not rare at all. My last car was a 98 Formula WS6. 1 of 32 made from 98-02. That was rare and I didn't even know it until it sold.

By saying "these cars" you are lumping all of them together. When you break the numbers down some are what I would consider rare.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
By saying "these cars" you are lumping all of them together. When you break the numbers down some are what I would consider rare.

No 07-14 GT500 is rare. Ford has made a ton of them. Just because you have 1 of 5 cars with X, Y, and Z options doesn't mean anything, no options on these cars have ever been so significant to make a huge difference.

If you bought a modern Mustang to have a rare or unique car, you bought the wrong car.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Because of the specific color, stripe color, and interior color, I had to wait two years for one to pop up for sale. Frustratingly long to wait, but totally worth it cuz NOW I GOT ONE, AND IT AINT FOR SALE :nono:

Illinois9er

Established Member
There was a time, back in early 2011, when you could order a Deluxe Build sheet, that broke the MY down to your VIN.
The format for these sheets has changed, stops the MY breakdown @ color.
I have a sheet for my 11, shows " 1 of 2 ".....( base coupe, 1 option, no deletions )
Also have an e-mail from Ford customer service, telling me where the other ( 1 ) was sold.
I never bothered to get one for my 14, which according to the SVT spreadsheet, is " 1 of 21 ".

Yeah I talked to Ford Show Parts and the guy told me that unfortunately they didn't break it down further in 08 for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread