GT500-Coupe or Convertible

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Hey, I was wondering if there is any real difference between buying a GT500 coupe or convertible. I have heard that the convertibles are a "harder" sell than the coupes. Does that make sense? The reason resale is important is that this would be the most expensive used car I have ever purchased and if I decide to sell (sooner than later), I might want to take that into consideration. Otherwise, I love driving my 86 GT with the top down!

Speedboosted

Established Member
I think any performance car with a convertible is dumb because of how much weight it adds and how much chassis stiffness you lose, but there are many people who just cruise around with their lawn chairs in the trunks and go to car shows so a convertible would work just fine for that.

denise082190

Established Member
I have a convertible maybe have put the top down a handful of times in the past three years. As far as selling are you planning on trading it in or selling private party? Keep in mind there are additional issues with verts. Tops stretch, rear window motors/ wiring....

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I have a couple Foxbody verts now. One is a 1993 Yellow feature vert (that I'll be selling to help make room for the GT500, black top, black interior, 5spd, let me know if anyone is interested) and the other is an 86 GT vert. That 86 GT top never goes up, lol! I love driving it with the top down! :pepper:

As far as the GT500 goes, I won't be racing the car, just driving it and enjoying it when the weather is nice (which is often down here :rockon:). If I was going to be road racing or other track racing, then I could see the coupe being more practical. But, it seems to me that most GT500 owners (not all) seem to baby these cars and, coupe or convertible, don't see much (if any ) track time of any kind. That's why I was wondering.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have always liked this 800 horse (maybe 850, I don't remember) Convert. The stripes are "almost" not there.........

White20Whale20SS_zpsbf87e829.jpg

R

Last edited:

sweetlou1182

Established Member
Think it all depends on what you're looking for. I bought my drop top about a year ago and love it. There will always be people who will prefer convertibles over hard tops and vice versa. A downfall of the drop top is track time. Little stricter requirements I believe.

1st usa car

Established Member
I wanted a coupe - wife wanted a convertible. Glad we got the vert. family loves it. As long as you get a Shelby --- you will be happy.

I will never track the car or go for maximum performance. If needed I can always add more power to compensate for the extra weight. I can also work on the suspension.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
If you go with the coupe, look at the glass roof. It's the one option I regret not having on mine :beer:

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
I will never track the car or go for maximum performance. If needed I can always add more power to compensate for the extra weight. I can also work on the suspension.

I feel the same way with my car. I've never tried having the fastest ET or highest trap speed. I just want a fast, good looking, and most importantly fun street car. I will definitely mod my vert but I'll never push it's limits.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I would ONLY have a convertible! I have three convertibles though and I can use my convertible the majority of the year. As far as performance, I would think it would matter most for track days, which I NEVER ever do. Straight line speed seems fine.... If you live in northern Michigan, I guess having a convertible does not make much sense. But in Southern Arizona it is fantastic. As far as harder to sell, that cracks me up, I struggled to find one! Prices always seem higher, at least when i was shopping.

Good luck.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I think any performance car with a convertible is dumb because of how much weight it adds and how much chassis stiffness you lose, but there are many people who just cruise around with their lawn chairs in the trunks and go to car shows so a convertible would work just fine for that.

Formula One and Indy cars have no top, but seem to move along quite well...

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Huge difference. You have to decide what's more important, performance, or the desire for open air. Weight is somewhat a factor, but the chassis flex and "cowel shake" are very noticeable. Does a very make for a crappy car? Absolutely not, it's again different than a tin top. Enjoy our 08 500 a lot and only drive it with the top down.

Mainn

Established Member
If you love driving your GT with the top down, you'll love driving a Shelby with the top down. If you're not racing it, go for whichever you think you'd enjoy the most.

In our case, it was the convertible. Can't say it was a bad choice. :)

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Drove it again this morning to work (top down of course)!

Thanks for all the posts! It seems that I was right in my thinking that most GT500 owners just drive and enjoy rather than tracking it a lot.

How does having the SVTPP change the car's performance? Has anyone driven one with and one without to compare?
Seems like it should be a must have option!

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You're in a section of the country that allows you to drive it all year, a vert makes sense.
If you don't intend to race it, you won't care about the extra weight.
If you decide on a coupe, the glass roof is THE must have option !!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
it's a pleasure car, not a race car, get the drop top IMO

I had a 06GT that made as much power as a stock GT500, I dropped that top every chance I could, 40* or 80* did not matter.

took it to the track ran 11.7s and best of 11.49 with some extra goosing. No reason you cannot do both if you want to.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Huge difference. You have to decide what's more important, performance, or the desire for open air. Weight is somewhat a factor, but the chassis flex and "cowel shake" are very noticeable. Does a very make for a crappy car? Absolutely not, it's again different than a tin top. Enjoy our 08 500 a lot and only drive it with the top down.

What also needs to be mentioned is the structural changes under the 2011-up convert. vs. the 2007-2010. The 2007-2010 GT500 convert. did not have a structure that Shelby felt would not properly support the higher HP Super Snake option and because of this they limited the 2007-2010 Super Snake converts to 605 horse at first, then it climbed to 630 and then 660, but never 725 or 750 as was available at that time for the coupe. It wasn't until 2011, when the underside changed that Shelby then started to build a convert. at all HP levels that were available for the coupe. Do the 2011-up convert's have the cowl shake as found in the 2007-2010? IDK......

R

Last edited:

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
It will always be preference.

My story...

05 GT Vert (sold to buy a ring)
08 V6 coupe (wife's)
03 Cobra Vert (had over three years)
08 GT500 coupe (traded in on the GT500 vert 12 months after purchasing)
08 GT500 Vert (finally happy again)

A coupe is nothing special to me. I need to know I'm in a "toy" having the top down.

The car dealer thought I was crazy trading in the exact same car I was looking at buying, just different color and rag top... Said he had never done that before. Haha.

It doesn't hurt having ~600whp.

Users who are viewing this thread