GT500 lost to a C5?

M1A....

Established Member
2008 GT500. I don't normally race on the street, but heading home last week, had this C5 following me on a 2 lane road for several miles. I was driving normal. Following the speed limits (45 mph) as it was a little after 5 pm and everybody was on the road heading home. The road eventually open up to 4 lanes just before a traffic light, and wouldn't you know it, the light turns red and he pulls up on my left side and starts to rev. I'm thinking, Damn. I really don't want to do this for a couple reasons. It's rush hour, and I have no traction from a dig. But anyway, he nails it when the light changes and the devil in me took over. But just as I expected, I'm spinning like hell through 1st and second, trying to take it easy, and he's up front by about 2 cars. I hit third and start to grab traction, so my foot's on the floor and I'm starting to pull pretty quickly. Wouldn't you know it, he shuts down. I'm still in the throttle and quickly go by. We wind up next to each other at a few traffic lights up and I roll my window down to ask him why he shut down. But what comes out is me saying I couldn't grab traction. And he says, Yeah, yeah, but at least it's a good looking car and takes off again. I never was able to ask him why he shut down. I hope to see him on the road again after I get my wider rims and tires installed. They're in my sig, but still sitting in my shed waiting for my old tires to wear out. I don't know his mods except that he has an exhaust. At least I got a compliment!! :burnout:

Last edited:

topless03svt

Z06 HUNTER
Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me back when i had my 94 cobra with a 331 stroker and a D1 procharger. Car was a monster on slicks at the track but didnt hook at all on street tires. Guy in a convertible automatic c5 took it to my A$$ one night 3 times in a row because by the time I got traction enough to put it to the floor he was already too far ahead to reel him in. That night still haunts my dreams........ only loss the car ever had

16kOrBust

Established Member
LOL at his response when you said you had no traction. I'll never understand why so many people put power mods on a car BEFORE they buy sticky tires (or wheels/tires, if necessary). Sorry, man, but that's your own fault for rollin in a near 600 whp car with tractionless tires. I used to roast cars like yours all the time from a light in my 400 whp Z28 simply because I had a 12-bolt, gears, and MT's on it and I could launch it all day long on the street unless the weather was really cold. Sounds like this guy knew what was up and played it to his advantage.

Last edited:

M1A....

Established Member
LOL at his response when you said you had no traction. I'll never understand why so many people put power mods on a car BEFORE they buy sticky tires (or wheels/tires, if necessary). Sorry, man, but that's your own fault for rollin in a near 600 whp car with tractionless tires. I used to roast cars like yours all the time from a light in my 400 whp Z28 simply because I had a 12-bolt, gears, and MT's on it and I could launch it all day long on the street unless the weather was really cold. Sounds like this guy knew what was up and played it to his advantage.

Yup. You're right. That's why I try not to run from a dig at this time. The tires I run are Nitto-stock size. Better than the stock tires. I do have a set of 18 x 11 widened Stock wheels with used 345/35/18 H&R's mounted on them. I bought them from a member here a few months ago. I haven't had time to fit them yet. I spend too much time at work and have too many house projects. Never enough time for me.

Last edited:

M1A....

Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me back when i had my 94 cobra with a 331 stroker and a D1 procharger. Car was a monster on slicks at the track but didnt hook at all on street tires. Guy in a convertible automatic c5 took it to my A$$ one night 3 times in a row because by the time I got traction enough to put it to the floor he was already too far ahead to reel him in. That night still haunts my dreams........ only loss the car ever had

LOL about "The Haunting!!" :rolling:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
This makes no sense to me, why are you waiting for tires to wear out? swap the wheels and tires and save the old wheels and tires for another time...

M1A....

Established Member
This makes no sense to me, why are you waiting for tires to wear out? swap the wheels and tires and save the old wheels and tires for another time...

The wheels on the car are "Ford Racing" GT500 wheels with the insides painted black, not grey like the stock ones. I need to bring the widened wheels to my wheel guy to get them refinished in black so they look the same.

I'm redoing the kitchen for my wife so all the extra funds are going there right now. When the kitchen's done, It's ON!!!!

Last edited:

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
meh... win some you lose some...no big deal... ignore the criticizing..

Might as well use the tires until there completley done, since you said it yourself, that you dont race much...

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
If I ever lose because of traction, which is rare because my car is just plain slow, it doesn't bother me. I know what my car can and cant do. I beat my buddies auto 6.0 GTO so many times from a dig because he couldn't get traction but the one time he did he beat me.

It happens.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
It happens, I don't give the excuse anymore since its just that, an excuse. In reality he won, there are no if's in racing.
Most of the time, they bite from a roll even after and that's when I shine.

About the comment on power before tires. Some people do it unexpectedly. I had my ZRII which to my surprise were pretty damn good for my N/A Cobra, they would stick pretty good for being a street tire. My engine happen to go out when my tires were new and I took advantage on getting it pullied since it was going to be tune. Useless to buy new tires when mine are still good and I hardly race.

Good death O.P, im sure it won't be the last time you'll see him

blkvenm97

Established Member
nice...it sux to lose cuz of traction but it happens. i had a full bolt on 99 gt run real close to me in my trickflow h/c/i 347 stroker 95 gt i used to have with 410 gears. there's a vid of it on youtube...everyones like oh your car is a pos it shoulda slaughtered that 99 blah blah blah...from a 30 or 40 roll it would have...I have drove both cars...but from 15-80 it didn't cuz 75% of that time I was frying the tires off while he was hookin and bookin...oh well

M1A....

Established Member
No excuses. He won during the time that he was in it. I just wish he would have stayed in it for a few seconds more. The outcome would have been different. But, there are really no rules in street racing. I accept the outcome, and I'm sure I'll see him again sometime. Hopefully I'll have my new rims and tires on. If not, I'll bait him into a roll. :burn:

02blownGT

Established Member
Same thing happened to me With an 11 cayman S.Was light to light he hooked and booked I was spinning pretty good and by the time i started reeling him in i had to stop for another red light.Guy was real cool about it agreed next time he would give me a low roll. It happens sometimes :shrug: . I have some 345 toyos waiting to go on now LOL.

HPRacing

SVTP Lurker
Established Member
Ah, you'll get'em next time.

Put the better tires on and save those old ones for a burnout competition, lol.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I had a similar run in with a new bolt on SS camaro. Smashed him a few times from a roll then he wanted to do a dig with me on my crapyears. Tried to launch to hard and spun shifted to second and just did the best burnout ever at the wrong time. He got me pretty good then we drove around and lined up again. Babied the launch and he jumped by about a car and a half once I got into second went WOT and got to his fender, shifted to 3rd and bye, bye. He didn't want to run anymore after that. You can't win them all, I like to run whenever I can which hasn't been much lately. :(

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
It happens. Put the factory tires on for an alignment and took massive beatings all day. It's like someone called everyone and told them to rape dirtyo. I always say the experience comes in for the 330, after that its the car doing all the work. Can't really say you beat someone because you out horsepowered them. Took my TL AWD and drug a vette twice from a dead up to 80. It was about 10 * outside and he didn't have a chance but he tried LOL. That's racing in the street, fastest car doesn't always win

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I got my butt kicked once by a Lexus sc570 (LS1/T56 swapped, I call it a sc570 but it was a sc300 originally). Long story short I was on my stock 275 goodyears and his car would just squat and take a dump every time and leave me spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread