GT500 or 0708 Z06??

MLMike25

Established Member
I couldn't find any threads comparing these 2 cars and sorry if this is in the wrong place...

So I got a new job and I'm thinking about setting a goal for a new car. I love my Terminator, but I think I'm beginning to want a new car. The two cars that popped into my head are a 2011 GT500 or a 07/08ish Z06.

Its still a ways off and I'm not anywhere close to making a decision yet or test driving. I'm still just in the info-gathering phase.

I know most of you are probably familiar with the GT500. I believe its an awesome car and probably significantly better than the Terminator.

Does anyone have enough knowledge of the 07/08 Z06 to compare the 2 cars? Is it still unfair to compare the two? Feedback appreciated.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Im glad someone started this thread, as its never been brought up.
insert sarcasm
You are going to get a 50/50 mix, and there are plenty of threads about this.
The majority of the guys end up owning both at one point or another.
For brute power thats cheap to get more hp out of.... like a vegas whore, go with the GT500
For a sexy woman that screams in bed, that you would bring home to meet mom, get the C6Z
BUT you will spend big money for upgrades to get more HP.
They are both great cars.
Now let the debate commence.
cliff note:
GT500: until you get traction, dont waste money on getting more horsepower
Z06: dont buy Unless you HAVE money, and you WANT more hp. Overall a solid performer

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
it really just depends on your interests and goals with the car. I've owned 2 C6Z's, and currently own a 2011 GT500. Both are amazing cars, but they are COMPLETELY different. Let me know if you have any specific questions, happy to help. The good news is that you cant go wrong with either car :beer:

oh, I'd only entertain an 08Z, several upgrades over the 06/07 model, much nicer. Also, there are amazing deals on low mileage 2011 GT500's floating around, I got mine for 9k lower than MSRP, used with 600 miles on it.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Two different classes of cars, obviously. One is a two seat sports car, the other a 4-seat touring car. While both are expensive, they are not meant to compete with each other.

Read up on corvetteforum.com - lots of great info.

Search first...this has been beaten to death...then post.

MLMike25

Established Member
it really just depends on your interests and goals with the car. I've owned 2 C6Z's, and currently own a 2011 GT500. Both are amazing cars, but they are COMPLETELY different. Let me know if you have any specific questions, happy to help. The good news is that you cant go wrong with either car :beer:

oh, I'd only entertain an 08Z, several upgrades over the 06/07 model, much nicer. Also, there are amazing deals on low mileage 2011 GT500's floating around, I got mine for 9k lower than MSRP, used with 600 miles on it.

As mentioned in the original post, I DID search and I did not find a thread that appeared to specifically compare the 07/08 z06 with a 11 GT500. (I did not go through each search result thread, just scanned thread titles).

Thanks Burnin. I'm not into tracking a car. My terminator is my DD. How does routine maintenance/replaceables compare on the two? Are you pro/con using either as a DD?

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The other threads will be useful as there are several general themes that apply to the GT500 across years. The 11 is better overall than the '07-09 so that should help you as you read the previous threads too regarding ride quality, interior fit/finish, etc.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Youll never be happy with anyone of them if someone up here chooses it for you. Buy the one you like. Hard to get people to vote for a chevy on a ford forum and vice versa. Whatever you want get that.

MLMike25

Established Member
Youll never be happy with anyone of them if someone up here chooses it for you. Buy the one you like. Hard to get people to vote for a chevy on a ford forum and vice versa. Whatever you want get that.

I'm not asking anyone to choose for me. I'm in the info-gathering phase. Trying to owner opinions on both cars. Obviously I'll make my own choice after I have all the info I need.

oldlugs

Established Member
GT500. If you get the Z06, sooner or later you will wish you had a back seat.

Just throw a blanket on the hood of your Z06; you can't use a Mustang's back seat if you're over 5'2" anyway. ;)

mullens

Established Member
GT500. If you get the Z06, sooner or later you will wish you had a back seat.
I don't know. I've had two GT500's and used the back seat for humans zero times. It's totally useless unless you're under 4ft tall. I'd rather not have it so I can put stuff back there.

Tman

Established Member
From my experience the GT500 is waaaaay better as a daily driver.
The zo6 does have a pretty firm suspension and the nose sits pretty low so you be scraping a lot.
I have a 11' svtpp now and its just as hard a suspension as the zo6 and now with springs its even harder but its not my dd so I dont care. From a performance perspective the zo6 hands down IS a better car and the mods are NOT thats expensive. Just throw on a A&A blower on for 6k installed and call it a day. If you do decide to get the zo6 go for an 08 or newer the 07's had some problems as well as the 08's have the new tr6060 transmision. I needed rear seats and the only car with enough performance/looks to satisfy me was the cobra.
The vetts are a blast to drive on the highway and very steady at high speeds but once again it comes down to-do you need the rear seats? If not just go for the vette and dont look back!:beer:

MLMike25

Established Member
Since posting earlier, I've learned a bit more about both cars. I don't need a back seat. I'm sure the hatch will work just fine. I've always heard that it was a bad ass car and I'm really starting to dig the Z06. When I'm ready, I think that's going to be the move.

03 VENOM

Established Member
there are amazing deals on low mileage 2011 GT500's floating around, I got mine for 9k lower than MSRP, used with 600 miles on it.

can you either post or send me a pm on where to find low mile 2011 gt500?

Thanks.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
As mentioned in the original post, I DID search and I did not find a thread that appeared to specifically compare the 07/08 z06 with a 11 GT500. (I did not go through each search result thread, just scanned thread titles).

Thanks Burnin. I'm not into tracking a car. My terminator is my DD. How does routine maintenance/replaceables compare on the two? Are you pro/con using either as a DD?

first and foremost, I would NOT dd a c6z. Not that you couldnt, but it would suck. They ride fairly harsh, but not terrible, sit too low, and suck driving in the rain. The GT500 is 1000x more comfortable, especially getting in and out. The maintenance cost is minor for both cars, and insurance is actually dirt cheap for both as well. The c6z will need new rear tires every 8-10k miles, but gets better gas mileage than the gt500.

so many trade-offs. let me know if you have any more specific questions :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread