GT500 pics of it in the street

crazyhorse06

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
I already have more than enough fun when Terminator owners get ****y and have their girlfriends/wives wave "goodbye" at me and gun it only to watch me go screaming past them. I love overconfidence, because I love shattering it. I think this car is going to make a lot of people ****y (perhaps rightfully so) and it's just fun beating up on them in a more powerful, lighter Mustang.
Sounds like Shelby and Terminator envy.

People are bitchin about the tires being too narrow, Shelby stepped up and insisted they be wider. MAybe if you call them they will change it to the Ford SVTCobra96 GT500 and make it an older, slower 4.6 N/A with about 265 hp (ar whatever they came with that year). Throw in the cheap plastic interior and skinny tires while they are at it. Were those 16" rims? I was just as enthusiastic about those in '96 as I am now about the GT500. But, the SVT Mustang has grown up since then. Out of the box it will be the fastest, most powerful Factory Mustang ever. Stock engined, your 600lbs won't mean jack on a strip or a course. Even an old fart like me that you seem to think can't drive couldn't screw up a race between those 2 machines. Mod my Shelby as much as you have modded your '96 and it will, again, be no contest.

I have grown up a Mustang fan. At least I have grown up. If you are as much a Mustang Man (Boy) as you claim, you should respect all Mustangs and recognize the influence Shelby has had on these cars, including your '96. Why do think it is called a Cobra?

Like R1 said, you are entitled to your opinion about looks, suspensions, etc. But to disrespect the car just because it has Shelby on it is rediculous. Are the recent Mach 1s and likely BOSS in the works worthless cars as well. They also are playing on their heritage and selling cars. Ford could go to the European method and call them 645 or 560SL or whatever you like if it pleases you.

Now be a big boy and respect your elders and your car's ancestors and offspring. Without a doubt, the car gets better each generation. Get used to it and be glad it does regardless of what they call it.

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
Well stated, crazyhorse! Although I don't have as much background with all these Cobra's, your logic is easy to understand.....and hard to fault.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I should clarify. I don't in any way dislike or disrespect the 96. I like all mustangs. My first one was a '79 Cobra Turbo. It was a dog and didn't handle at all. But it was still a Mustang and I wish I still had it today.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
SVT Cobra96, I am 22 and even I know how much of an influence Shelby is in almost any domestic fast car these days.
His name is rarely mentioned when you hear of cars like the Viper, Ford GT, or even previous Mustang models but he was there. He has a knack for seeing what body lines make a car effective and astethicly pleasing, as well as knows that a car needs to be an all around car.

If it was just his name they used he wouldn't touch it. Shelby is very active reguardless of his age and if you don't believe me go meet the man. He is the oldest double transplant patient in the world and he still drives performance cars from time to time...and drives them hard. He wouldn't sit back and let some suits tell him what will be on his car....thank him for not only getting the 5.4 but getting the exact same heads and cams that were on the GT. Thank him for us being able to buy a great looking mustang with a full package of options, 475 HP+ for under 40 K.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Whitten said:
SVT Cobra96, I am 22 and even I know how much of an influence Shelby is in almost any domestic fast car these days.
His name is rarely mentioned when you hear of cars like the Viper, Ford GT, or even previous Mustang models but he was there. He has a knack for seeing what body lines make a car effective and astethicly pleasing, as well as knows that a car needs to be an all around car.

If it was just his name they used he wouldn't touch it. Shelby is very active reguardless of his age and if you don't believe me go meet the man. He is the oldest double transplant patient in the world and he still drives performance cars from time to time...and drives them hard. He wouldn't sit back and let some suits tell him what will be on his car....thank him for not only getting the 5.4 but getting the exact same heads and cams that were on the GT. Thank him for us being able to buy a great looking mustang with a full package of options, 475 HP+ for under 40 K.

+1,000,000,000 :beer:
If you don't have a clue what he's done for the whole race/street/muscle car genres :poke: , then I suggest you visit your local library :read: and educate yourself. The guy is an icon!

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Some of you older guys still haven't figured out this world isn't black and white have you? How many times have I stated I think the shelby is one badass car? Yes, stock for stock it's not even worth mentioning the 96 and the shelby togather but there's only what 11 years difference? And who's stock anyway? :rolleyes: Equal HP at the wheels and the 96-98 Cobra's will eat the Shelby's BAD, that weight is such a huge difference. If Shelby was such an influence and such a genius these days he should have convinced SVT to lower the damn weight.

No "shelby/gt500" envy here, I could get either but have decided not too. I think my car looks the best out of them and with what I've done to my car it's still balls the wall fast and I hardly ever lose racing anybody. I'm still Supercharged and I'm still 4 valve, and I have a pure aluminum block, which is superior to both the Terminator and the Shelby block. Not bad for an 11 year old car.

And some of you are going to flip a brick over this but I like my interior better than the GT500 (not the Terminator though). I hate the 05's interior, I've sat in my brothers 05 V6 (...don't ask) and it definetly has a fake plastic look to it. Not saying mine doesn't, but at least my guages look like something from this century.

Cliffnotes : I like the GT500 but it's weight and price tag will keep me away from it. I already have a faster Cobra so chucking $40k at this car would be a waste of money. I don't like the way it looks (both outside and inside). I still think Shelby has has virtually no influence on this car, this engine smells of SVT design, not Shelby. If you disagree with me that's your right, but if you want to talk tough meet me at the track here in Orlando with your Shelby and watch how bad you get toasted :beer:

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
:beer:

I applaud you for being passionate about your car. We all should be. That is what has kept the Mustang alive all these years.

Honestly, I am not buying the car because it is a Shelby. I was going to buy the next SVT Cobra. This car is the Cobra with Shelby's name on it. I do think he influenced looks and performance, but, it is a moot point as we will never really know. My only beef is all the people dogging him. Even if he sold Chili and crappy Omnis, he still has been one of the most influential cars guys of our time. He deserves respect for that. Let the people that want a Shelby because it is a Shelby enjoy their chance to buy their car. The rest of the people that buy it because it is an SVT Mustang, still get one hell of a car that oozes SVT style and performance. It works for both camps. If someone doesn't like the styling, that is fine, but, it has nothing to do with it being a Shelby. the Styling is HTT and J Mays' creation. Those people will have to wait for the next reskin or customize it themselves.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
fordification said:

silver on blue is almost as good as silver on black.
that's true, but 5 or 6 years from now, the reverse will be true. i've owned a few black cars before. almost impossible to keep looking new for long, unless you want to spend half your life detailing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread