GT500 - pricing in the low 40's - for the Vert or Coupe?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
2006 Detroit Auto Show Index by TCC Team (1/7/2006)

GT500 No Secretary's Car

Accompanied by much fanfare - and video clips of reckless Hollywood car-chase-style driving, Ford's Americas president Mark Fields drove onto the stage in the new GT500, accompanied by legend Carroll Shelby. Fields drew from Shelby history when he affirmed that the new GT500 "is no secretary's car." With a 5.4-liter supercharged and intercooled V-8 making a monstrous 475 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque-a full 175 hp more than the Mustang GT-the Shelby pushes its power out through a heavy-duty six-speed manual transmission. The GT500 carries SVT powertrain badges, with the cast-iron block from Ford's modular V-8 family paired with the same alloy cylinder heads, piston rings, and bearings as used in the Ford GT supercar. To accommodate the larger engine, the hood has been domed up, with various airflow tweaks. From a distance, the bulge is only obvious if you're familiar with Mustangs, but the most obvious GT500 differentiator is the white Le Mans-style striping that runs the length of the car. A retro-look (though non-functional) Cobra gas-cap emblem marks the rear fascia.

The rear suspension remains a solid-axle setup, though the geometry has been tweaked (and adapted from racing) to accommodate the extra power. Braking is aided by huge 14-inch Brembo rotors in front, and there are grippy 285-width tires in back. Inside, front seats get more lateral support, among other performance upgrades.

Most notably, Fields also assured that the GT500 would be affordable, with prices "starting in the low 40s." For people who want the most performance for the money, that's great news. -Bengt Halvorson

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Hmm, I hope that's not right, prices starting in the low $40's, sure gets a vert with an option or two pretty high ... keepin my fingers crossed for base price below 40.

jshen

Established Member
I saw that same thing and about choked.....IF Ford does get in low 40's on base GT500, I'm out. All the consessions made so far by Ford on components...and an INCREASE in price? Nah..I have to back away if they do that..........

mrGT

Established Member
Hey guys, don't worry. I've been told by nearly everyone on this board that these cars won't sell and the dealers will be selling at or below invoice in 6-12 months. They ought to know, they bought their 00 or 03 or 04 below invoice. Hang in there!

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
mrGT, that's true to a certain extent, I got my 03 CobraVert on X plan, no problem, just waited past the 1st 6 month hype, but I want a vert & if it gets near $50K MSRP, that's pretty high ... can't help but consider staying with my 03 or lookin at other options out there. I was hoping to X plan less than $45 on the road .. still hoping.

mrGT

Established Member
mrGT, that's true to a certain extent, I got my 03 CobraVert on X plan, no problem, just waited past the 1st 6 month hype,
There's still hope.....hang in there, history may repeat itself!

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

mrGT said:
Hey guys, don't worry. I've been told by nearly everyone on this board that these cars won't sell and the dealers will be selling at or below invoice in 6-12 months. They ought to know, they bought their 00 or 03 or 04 below invoice. Hang in there!
You'd have to be nuts to pay 40k for the Shelby coupe. A mustang for 40k, I don't care if it is 500hp, it's still a mustang and they were always intended to be afordable for the average working man. I can assure you these cars will drop to high 30's after a little while. Unless you're a rich freak and enjoy being ripped off, then you probably will pay a ridiculous 40k for a mustang. :bash:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
gonein60 said:
You'd have to be nuts to pay 40k for the Shelby coupe. A mustang for 40k, I don't care if it is 500hp, it's still a mustang and they were always intended to be afordable for the average working man. I can assure you these cars will drop to high 30's after a little while. Unless you're a rich freak and enjoy being ripped off, then you probably will pay a ridiculous 40k for a mustang. :bash:

you dont like the mustang do you?

mrGT

Established Member
gonein60,

The Mustang is affordable.....Ford never said "every" Mustang would be though. I can see you don't like the Shelby, so why do you continue to attempt to belittle those of us that do. Besides, why do you care how I spend my money......you won't be inheriting any of what's left when I'm gone.

gonein60

Banned
GT500 is awesome

mrGT said:
gonein60,

The Mustang is affordable.....Ford never said "every" Mustang would be though. I can see you don't like the Shelby, so why do you continue to attempt to belittle those of us that do. Besides, why do you care how I spend my money......you won't be inheriting any of what's left when I'm gone.
Can't you read, I said I love the car and will definetly be buying one. I sold my 99 cobra 8 months ago and have been driving my 93 honda civic. I want one right now, but they're not gonna be available till the end of summmer according to SVT. I don't want to spend 40k if I don't have to. Even though I want a Shelby this second, I just dread paying 40k, but it looks like I'm gonna have to if I want the car of my dreams.

The Shelby is a beautiful piece of muscle car, and it sucks that I gotta wait another 8 months to buy one, but that's okay because I should have 15k saved up for the downpayment by then.

My Shelby is gonna be tungsten with black stripes.

Later :coolman:

broeli

Established Member
gonein60 said:
My Shelby is gonna be tungsten with black stripes.
Black stripes aren't available. Not sure why.
Here are your options:

colors are colorado red, white, ebony, tungsten, alloy, valencia, vista blue

stripes are white, blue, satin silver, or tungsten. There are some limits on which colors go where

mrGT

Established Member
gonein60,

Maybe I can't read! Sorry 'bout that.
But you have to admit that this post of yours
You'd have to be nuts to pay 40k for the Shelby coupe. A mustang for 40k, I don't care if it is 500hp, it's still a mustang and they were always intended to be afordable for the average working man. I can assure you these cars will drop to high 30's after a little while. Unless you're a rich freak and enjoy being ripped off, then you probably will pay a ridiculous 40k for a mustang.
sounds a little belittling, don't you think? If you didn't mean it to be, then you may want to think about what you're calling me for wanting to spend $40K on this car. (Yes, I know you didn't specifically address it towards me, but I am willing to pay $40K, so I took it as if you were.) If you weren't belittling me, I'm sorry, but that's the way it came across to me.

Also, I see nothing wrong with you waiting until you can get this car for low $30's.....hang in there, some day you will.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Just be glad your not Cdn. beacuse low $40's sounds awesome. In this case I personally don't think it will drop below invoice in 6 months. Once the next years models (08) start to come out then the prices will dddrrrooooppp.

mrGT

Established Member
I have actually talked to thre dealers that are selling the Shelby at MSRP, in New York, Indiana, and Arizona. I have not found one in my area of OKC that will though. The 8-10 dealers in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, and Louisiana that I have talked to are saying MSRP Plus...all have a list or are starting one. All of the dealers selling at MSRP have lists that go beyond 25 (one had a list of over 50) prospective buyers. All have said they don't expect to get more than 5 this year and probably about the same plus maybe 2-3 more next year. I have not spoken to ALL Ford dealers. Most of the ones selling for over MSRP, told me that they will probably have to drop back to MSRP next year, because the rush will be over, even with a list of buyers, they felt they would. If what I've found out holds true, I don't expect to see any Shelby's going for invoice any time soon. In fact it would look as though a little below MSRP will be the lowest for the next couple years.....assuming every one on the lists hang in there. But then, my survey may be flawed.....so if anyone knows of any dealer selling for anything less than MSRP, let me know and I would like to call them too (they probably have a longer list of names).

The names of the three dealers selling at MSRP were PM'd to me by posters on this board...and I Thank all of you for doing so. Talking with the dealers, I see each of you are safe, as you were either #1, #3, or #4 on their respective dealer's list.....Good for you! I wished I would have been able to find such a dealer early on like you, but I didn't think that far ahead. For me to get one, I will probably go against all the advice given on this board and opt for the MSRP Plus program to get one. For those of you waiting for the price to drop below invoice, like it did for your 03 or 04, Good Luck.....but it won't bother me one bit if my survey is completely wrong and you get one at or below invoice next year. I'm sure we'll hear about it if you do....I would just like to get the name of the dealer.

Last edited:

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
"Starting in the low 40's" Usually means just that, if that statement is correct. Then expect to pay atleast 41-43k MSRP for base coupe and plus 5k for vert. The fever will die down after a few months, because over 40k is a little steep for a mustang, Shelby or not. At over 40k I would want Navigation atleast, Hids, auto mirror, body colored side mirrors, etc.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
"accompanied by carroll shelby" :nonono:

he is nothing but a marketing tool now. he had absolutely NO role in the design of this car other than to nod his head at whatever Ford brought him. This car is an SVT product that has shelby in the passenger seat, literally. Get him off the car and the price goes down because then ford doesn't have the hype from people who are non the wiser.

mrGT

Established Member
"accompanied by carroll shelby"

he is nothing but a marketing tool now. he had absolutely NO role in the design of this car other than to nod his head at whatever Ford brought him. This car is an SVT product that has shelby in the passenger seat, literally. Get him off the car and the price goes down because then ford doesn't have the hype from people who are non the wiser.
If the rumors are any good, your wish may come true in the form of something like a Boss, Mach, or Cobra. I just can't see Ford not following up. How many early model Cobra people would buy one? Because, I don't think there is an abundance of "new" buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread