GT500 - pricing in the low 40's - for the Vert or Coupe?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
That royally sucks.. News just keeps getting worse and worse for this car.

mrGT

Established Member
If indeed the price of the Shelby is $41-43, Ford needs to rethink the production numbers. They should start surveying their dealers to see how many people out there really want one....otherwise, they could find themselves in a Terminator "fire sale" scenario in three years after the hungry have been fed.

bunk22

Established Member
gonein60 said:
You'd have to be nuts to pay 40k for the Shelby coupe. A mustang for 40k, I don't care if it is 500hp, it's still a mustang and they were always intended to be afordable for the average working man. I can assure you these cars will drop to high 30's after a little while. Unless you're a rich freak and enjoy being ripped off, then you probably will pay a ridiculous 40k for a mustang. :bash:

You really seem wrapped around the money issue. Seems you bring it up a lot. When did $40K become the realm of a rich freak? Many SUV's are that price and it doesn't take a rich freak to afford $40 or even $50K.

Last edited:

NightEnforcer

Established Member
Here is my prediction. Over 40K with a 10K+ premium ( might even be higher) over MSRP for 3 to 6 months. The first ones will go fast off of the lots even with the premium to the "gota have it now guys" Then the price will slowly come down except on the East and West coasts, where it will take longer for the dealers to get real with pricing.

jshen

Established Member
bunk22 said:
You really seemed wrapped around the money issue. Seems you bring it up a lot. When did $40K become the realm of a rich freak? Many SUV's are that price and it doesn't take a rich freak to afford $40 or even $50K.

My first new house, 2200 sq ft, in 1976 cost less than that. Some of us...are on fixed incomes and I work for the govt...40K is a lot for a working person's transportation.....At least in my book it is...I want a GT500 but am going to watch very closely how this goes..

Jpjr

Established Member
it sucks that the car is over 40k, but there is no entitlement to the young american worker to sell it cheap. by going retro ford has made no mistake who they are marketing to... baby boomers with lots of cash that don't mind paying extra for nostalgia. like i keep saying at that price segment the younger generation will look to the C6 or M3. i don't think that ford cares though.. not too many of us in the 40k range.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I think it was misspoken at the intro. Brad was there and said he misread the teleprompter. The coupe is supposed to come in under 40 - probably 39,xxx. With the options you will get into low 40s. AMV will be prevalent in the beginning. It won't last too long. The gotta have it nows, will have lost luster in 6-9 months. It won't be brand new any more. The Z06's didn't have theirs too long and look at what it has to offer.

bunk22

Established Member
jshen said:
My first new house, 2200 sq ft, in 1976 cost less than that. Some of us...are on fixed incomes and I work for the govt...40K is a lot for a working person's transportation.....At least in my book it is...I want a GT500 but am going to watch very closely how this goes..

Understandable but it's also not 1976. I was simply pointing to the fact that Gonein60 really likes to bring up the money issue, quite often. I agree that $40K isn't cheap but it doesn't take a rich freak to afford a $40k automobile. I still want a GT-500 but will definitely wait until all the hoopla dies down to buy them at MSRP or less.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I don't believe it has as much to do with people not being able to afford the car as it does the realization that a Mustang, the working man's pony car, is now in that upper echelon territory. I don't care what you say, $40,000 is high for any Mustang. Maybe their concept of a working man is an overpaid union worker that makes $35 an hour for watching a machine do his job. Again, it's not that it wont be affordable for most people, but just the stigma that this car is in Corvette territory when it comes to pricing.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
no cigar said:
I don't believe it has as much to do with people not being able to afford the car as it does the realization that a Mustang, the working man's pony car, is now in that upper echelon territory. I don't care what you say, $40,000 is high for any Mustang. Maybe their concept of a working man is an overpaid union worker that makes $35 an hour for watching a machine do his job. Again, it's not that it wont be affordable for most people, but just the stigma that this car is in Corvette territory when it comes to pricing.

.....As were the prices of the Shelbys of the 60's. The ratio has not changed by much at all. Sorry, but I'm not gonna do the math in 'real dollars' for you, I'm tired. Do what everyone else does (if they cannot afford it now): save up to buy a 2 year old for 1/3 off.....but don't slam people here if you cannot afford it. You should be congratulating them! :burnout:

Last edited:

2814v

Established Member
I am just gonna keep an eye on the market section, in about a year all the people who bought one as a daily driver will be hit with the reality of 12 MPG and high insuranse.

2007 GT500, all options, some modds, low miles. $35,000

crazyhorse06

Established Member
2814v said:
I am just gonna keep an eye on the market section, in about a year all the people who bought one as a daily driver will be hit with the reality of 12 MPG and high insuranse.

2007 GT500, all options, some modds, low miles. $35,000
Bald tires, worn clutch, toasted brake pads and poop stains in the seats (from being hit with the reality of how fast this car is).

bunk22

Established Member
no cigar said:

That's what the regular mustang is for, affordability. I believe this is a specialty stang and if sold at $40k, it's affordable in today's market. Not cheap but certainly not out of line.

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
bunk22 said:
That's what the regular mustang is for, affordability. I believe this is a specialty stang and if sold at $40k, it's affordable in today's market. Not cheap but certainly not out of line.

I still think it takes a lot of balls to sell a car for $40+k that shares the SAME PLATFORM as an $18k v6. :nono: Suckers will take the "off the floor" hit, others will wait a year and get a nice used one for 25-30k.

broeli

Established Member
I still think it takes a lot of balls to sell a car for $40+k that shares the SAME PLATFORM as an $18k v6. Suckers will take the "off the floor" hit, others will wait a year and get a nice used one for 25-30k.
Sharing the same platform isn't a big deal. They share many of the same basic parts though..which shouldn't be the case. The body panels, suspension components, etc. should be made of lightweight materials.
It should be done the same way Mitsubishi seperates the base Lancer from the Evo. The base Lancer is 18k...the Evo 30k and the only thing they really share that is common is the doors and a few interior pieces such as the dash. All the body panels are flared, and many made of aluminum. Structural reinforcements to the donor Cedia chassis increased flexural rigidity by 50 percent by adding thicker sheetmetal and bracing in high-load regions, seam-welding in the B-pillars and front chassis section, and more than 200 additional spot welds in the door apertures. Weight-saving measures like thinner glass, forged aluminum suspension pieces, aluminum front fenders, carbon fiber wing, thinner sheetmetal in the roof panel/or aluminum (MR and RS), a magnesium cam cover, and hollow camshafts, etc.
If a company as bad off as Mitsubishi can do it than Ford can try a little harder and differentiate the Shelby even more from the base V6. Ford wouldn't even bring out the Shelby with a different trunk lid so the brake light could be in the spoiler for the SHELBY badge to go across the rear.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much :)
Chevy does it with their base Vette and Z06 though. There is only a $20k difference from the base Vette to the Z06....just about the same price difference as a base Mustang to a Shelby. Which company does it appear is trying harder?

Last edited:

Romans8:28

Established Member
At 40+ K you buy a Vette......... plain and simple or wait for REAL discounts like the 04 Cobra's were in September of 2004.

I paid 28K out the door for a brand new 04 :banana:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
At 40+ K you buy a Vette......... plain and simple or wait for REAL discounts like the 04 Cobra's were in September of 2004.

I paid 28K out the door for a brand new 04 :banana:
plain and simple?

I don't want a Vette. I want 4 seats and 500hp. Vette has neither.

Users who are viewing this thread