GT500 Transmission Carnage + 40-160 pull

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I had multiple 4-5 lock outs while in Germany on the Autobahn. I just learned to let the rpms drop a grand before engaging 5th. Sucks about your trans, though.
Yeah I think at this point I will never again attempt a 4-5 speed shift. If I'm at a mile event or something I'll just shift slow and hope it doesn't do this again.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Add this to your shopping list:
MGW Aftermarket Racing Shifters

And this fixed my 4-5 problem at high RPM:
V8 K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters Part # CHE7L for 2005-2014 Mustang

ETA: paging @lexustech48 - he's been working on a parts collection to rebuild his 6060
Yes that MGW looks nice. I am going to give the aluminum bushings a try, since they were only $60. If it still feels terrible it will be MGW time.

That Che brace looks nice, and not too badly priced. Also looks pretty easy to install at home so I will keep that in mind as well.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I remember something like this a few years back. It involved a hippo, a Camaro SS, and a disappearance.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Lol well SS's do have TR6060s so that checks out, but the rest I am clueless on.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
The TR6060 on my Viper had issues when it was hot and I tried to bang gears. The problem with them was the clutch fluid getting too hot and not allowing the stock clutch to fully disengage, so you can imagine what would happen when trying to shift hard. I went to the track and would miss 2nd and 3rd which is pretty hard to do if everything is working well. I went to drive home and 5th gear wasn't even there anymore, even though I never shifted into it while racing. I put an Nth moto triple carbon clutch in and the dealer fixed everything else under warranty. Everything was butter after that.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
The TR6060 on my Viper had issues when it was hot and I tried to bang gears. The problem with them was the clutch fluid getting too hot and not allowing the stock clutch to fully disengage, so you can imagine what would happen when trying to shift hard. I went to the track and would miss 2nd and 3rd which is pretty hard to do if everything is working well. I went to drive home and 5th gear wasn't even there anymore, even though I never shifted into it while racing. I put an Nth moto triple carbon clutch in and the dealer fixed everything else under warranty. Everything was butter after that.
Yeah there is a chance my fluid was getting too hot, and possibly stock clutch line getting too hot. Did they upgrade your fluid? Or was the aftermarket clutch what made everything better?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I may have a CHE brace and a MGW shifter laying around somewhere. Pm me if you want one and I will try to put my hands on it. They were on my 2010 Roush before I went with the magnum XL.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't read as well as I should have. My car was a Roush not a GT500, different tranny. Sorry about that.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Yeah there is a chance my fluid was getting too hot, and possibly stock clutch line getting too hot. Did they upgrade your fluid? Or was the aftermarket clutch what made everything better?

I was planning on upgrading the fluid but never did. I took it to the track once with the new clutch and ZERO issues. That clutch was branded Nth moto but was made by RPS carbon. The pedal was VERY light and the clutch was rated for 1500ft-lbs. If you can find one for yours, I'd definitely recommend it. They're very pricey though.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
UPDATE:

Many internal parts on the trans were destroyed, gears, etc. Also new synchros were needed. The final verdict was a reman unit, upgraded, would be the best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread