GT500 vs GT-X

bluestreak89

Established Member
Any one that has considered buying the GT500 needs to consider this as well. It's a highly modded GT.

This was in this months mustang enthusiast magazine!

It's what Ford should have made!!!!

Advantages

Faster
Lighter
Better Handling
More accessories.

If Ford can sell a Shelby with basically nothing done but a SC for 42k + markup, this car is a much better value because it is a total package. At around 60k you can have a GT500 + flip out stereo, recaro racing seats, big brakes, complete suspension, nice wheels, a full body kit all new warranty from both ford and xtreme.v All this and without going up to 3900 lbs!!!!!!

What do you guys think, I thinks its worlds better than the GT500 and worth the money. Most people will be paying near this much with the markups anyways.

Here is the article:
2148735_16_full.jpg

2148735_17_full.jpg

2148735_18_full.jpg

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
That's the point many have made ALL along! There is also something called the Saleen S281E (extreme) for around the same money and the upcoming Parnelli Saleen for mid 50's. If you don't mind paying $60k for a Mustang I'd get something like the GTX, S281E, or Parnelli. It'd be money better spent. Lets see..pay $60k for a Shelby that will be worth under $35k in a year or buy a VERY limited Saleen for the same money? Not a tough decision for someone with a little common sense. :)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
people can build what they want. if it was me i would look into the mustang gt(25), trilogy, whipple, or k/b twin screw and intercooler with forged motor(10), full griggs racing suspension(6), and baer brakes(2), and you have yourself one hell of a car for under $45,000. i am not big on the body kits of the world.

where ford made the big mistake is going with the iron block. i heard the drivetrain components on the gt500 are 350lbs heavier than the mustang gt. i you ask me if customers are going to spend 45 on a 3900lb car, they would pay 50 for a 3500lb car in a heartbeat. that was fords big mistake.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well i think it looks good with that body kit and wheels, but i would still prefer a roots s/c over a centrifigal (for the street)

nice find btw :beer:

jman345

Banned
Have people seen a shelby go down in value no what makes you think this one will and will be 35grand in a year noway never happen keep dreaming. The shelby is a classic everyone knows that and classics dont go down in value much.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
jman345 said:
Have people seen a shelby go down in value no what makes you think this one will and will be 35grand in a year noway never happen keep dreaming. The shelby is a classic everyone knows that and classics dont go down in value much.

i have to disagree with you there. they will go down in value. i will even think that you could find one for under 10k in less than ten years. those that dont drive them, and keep them for lets say 40 years, will see a profit at some point though. good investment? no.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
jman345 said:
I'm sorry but you need to explain something to me; how is a brand new car considered a classic? Maybe a modern version of a classic, but I'm definitely not seeing a true classic mentioned anywhere in this thread. Besides, it's not like Carroll himself had a hand in building each and every one, hell I doubt he did anything more than allow Ford to slap his name on the trunklid. His name carries alot of weight of course, but when that name is reduced to nothing more than a marketing gimmick, then I cannot for the life of me see why this car wont depreciate like usual.

broeli

Established Member
jman345 said:
:eek: :lol: :lol1: :dw: You must be insane. The '07 GT500 isn't even a "limited" # car. Once again this IS NOT a 67, 68, 69 or whatever Shelby...this is a modern mass produced (in comparison to the old Shelby) car with a 2 cent Shelby badge slapped on the back. Wake up.

mrGT

Established Member
jman345 said:
I assume you're talking about the late 60's Shelby. I don't know the exact production numbers for those Shelbys, but it was like 3-4,000/yr for 67-70 and a lot of those have been lost...my point is that there weren't many of them and they didn't become a classic overnight. As for this new Shelby being a classic, the same will apply to them...it will take years before, and if, they become a classic. Remember, Ford is going to produce 10-13,000/yr. So yes, this Shelby will depreciate just like any other car for a few years until the number of them left in circulation are fewer...then they will become a collectable. If you want an instant classic, try to get your hands on a GT-H, when and if, Hertz puts them up...there are only going to be 500 of those puppies produced. I doubt the GT-H price will be dropping any time soon.

But then, this is just my opinion and we'll have to wait and see who has the right scenario. That's All...Carry On.

jman345

Banned
ok even if they make 9 to 10 thousand a year that isnt much for 3 years there are billions of people so what makes you think thats alot of cars. And tell me one car that shelby has built that went down in price drastically none have. He helped with the vipers and they have been around for a long time havent they and the ones are still in the 30 thousand range so anyone who thinks in a year this car will go down in value must be smoking something people are buying this car over the viper and the new Z06 if you dont believe just go to ebay there selling for around 75 to 85 grand that right there tells me people want these cars bad if there willing to pay that much. So trust me the car wont go down much or any withing a year just aint happening and must i remind people how bad people want them first one sold for 600 but with other stuff added close to 700. First car in history to have 500hp for a msrp price of 40 something grand if you dont jump on it other people will and good luck getting one cause if you do get one your one lucky basterd.

CWCobra

Established Member
Just how much of a "classic" is the most recent car, prior to the Mustang, Carrol Shelby "designed" (for those who think he actually had anything whatsoever to do with the GT500)?

Anybody remember the Dodge Omni GLH-S? (Or was that a Plymouth Horizon?)
Classic, schmassic.

CW

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ill one up everyone and go for a miata/v8 conversion.
http://www.v8miata.com
itll be cheaper than both, and when i spend the extra $30,000 i save on the GT500 or extra $55,000 i save on the GT-X and build my uber supercar. ill own ferraris with ease. this is the true bang for the buck.

how about this, people buy the GT500 because they like the GT500. its nastalgic, it looks good, and it performs. others out perform it. there are better ways to get more performance for a lower price. it all boils down to... any who is planning on buying the GT500 DOESNT CARE.

jman345

Banned
CW cobra give the man respect if it wasnt for Carrol shelby we wouldnt have the mustangs we have today so he must have had alot to do with it.

jman345

Banned
And we also wouldnt have th Ford GT or the viper or the shelby which so many people want and are will to pay so much over msrp for and the first 500hp car for msrp of 40 something i can go on and on the man deserves respect is all im saying without him we wouldnt have alot of the cars we have today.

jman345

Banned
And what is with the regular gt picture at the top and slapping stuff on it and saying i got a better car then the shelby now whatever you want to think its still a gt and it will always be a gt i think im going to buy a shelby and slap a 7 liter engine in it say its a z06. lol

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
CWCobra said:
Just how much of a "classic" is the most recent car, prior to the Mustang, Carrol Shelby "designed" (for those who think he actually had anything whatsoever to do with the GT500)?

Classic, schmassic.

CW
How about the Shelby Charger aaaaaa never mind :poke: :lol:

broeli

Established Member
jman345 said:
CW cobra give the man respect if it wasnt for Carrol shelby we wouldnt have the mustangs we have today so he must have had alot to do with it.
Pleeaase. HE didn't make the r-code 428cj did he? How about the Boss 302? How about the Boss 429? He just made improvements on what Ford already offered. Similar to what Roush or Saleen do to the current Mustangs. Did he have ANYTHING to do with any modern day Mustangs up until the '07? NO! So tell me how he was so pivotal please. The Shelby's back in the day didn't even sell particularly well.

G. El Dorado

Established Member
CWCobra said:

Classic, schmassic.

CW

The most recent and probably the worst was the Shelby Durango.

Users who are viewing this thread