GT500 vs GT-X

broeli

Established Member
The OLD Shelby is so valuable because 60's muscle cars bring big #'s and the Shelby was made in limited #'s. There are plenty of other cars that fetch big #'s without the Shelby name...how about a hemi' 'Cuda? LS6 Chevelle? 427 Corvette Stingray? I could go on and on. YOU CAN NOT compare old cars and values to new cars and what they'll be worth someday.

1965 GT350 Street Prototype 1
Street Production Models 521
Drag Cars 4
Competition Prototypes 2
Competition Production Models 34
total: 562

1966 GT350 Prototypes 2
Standard Fastbacks 1,365
Paxton Prototype 1
Hertz Prototypes 2
Production Hertz Fastbacks 999
Drag Cars 4
Convertibles 4
total:2,378

1967 GT350 Fastbacks 1,175
GT500 Fastbacks 2,048
GT500 Notchback Prototype 1
GT500 Convertible Prototype 1
total: 3,225

1968 GT500 Notchback Prototype 1
GT350 Fastbacks 803
GT350 Fastback Hertz Cars 224
GT350 Convertibles 404
GT500 Fastbacks 1,044
GT500 Fastback Hertz Cars 2
GT500 Convertibles 402
GT500KR Fastbacks 1,053
GT500KR Convertibles 517
GT500KR Convertible Hertz Cars 1
total: 4,451

1969-70 Barrier Test and Prototype Pilot Cars 3
GT350 Fastbacks 935
GT350 Fastback Hertz Cars 152
GT350 Convertibles 194
GT500 Fastbacks 1,534
GT500 Convertibles 335
total: 3,153
Total Units Produced 13,769

NOTE: Of the 3,153 Shelbys produced in the 1969-70 timeframe, 2,361 were considered 1969 Shelby models and 789 were considered 1970 Shelby models. The remaining 3 were prototype and test cars. ALL PRODUCTION FIGURES SUPPLIED BY SAAC

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
jman345 said:
And we also wouldnt have th Ford GT or the viper or the shelby which so many people want and are will to pay so much over msrp for and the first 500hp car for msrp of 40 something i can go on and on the man deserves respect is all im saying without him we wouldnt have alot of the cars we have today.
:shrug: I respect him for his contributions to car history, but there would be high performance vehicles without him. From information in the past and present he was an influence on some high performance vehicles but his name plays a large part in most of the latest creations here's a quote from a Motor trend issue. How much was Carroll Shelby involved? Not a lot, so far. "We gave Carroll an early 2005 GT prototype and asked him where we should go with a performance derivative," says Tai-Tang. "We were aligned in our ideas. There were discussions about what was possible from a hardware standpoint within the walls of Ford Motor Company, and he gave us a lot of input. He still has a lot of energy, and it shaped what we arrived at." Shelby will have driven GT 500 prototypes by the time you read this and summarizes his feelings succinctly. "It's simple: I'm tickled and delighted to see the top-of-the-line Mustang be a Shelby."

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
Ford will produce tens of thousands of these GT500s eliminating any possibility of them "holding value". Mass produced automobiles depreciate regardless of horsepower or whose name may be glued on the product. This is now the latest, greatest, fastest Mustang until the next new and improved version comes out with all the usual hype.

Anyone who is attempting to justify near 50 grand for a Mustang with the expectation of minimal or no depreciation is going to be in for a painful financial experience.

Instant classics exist only in the minds of those intoxicated with enthusiasm.

jman345

Banned
drmustang they produce thousands of vipers but they keep there value pretty good what makes you think the shelby wont?

bluestreak89

Established Member
jman345 said:
drmustang they produce thousands of vipers but they keep there value pretty good what makes you think the shelby wont?

Vipers used to be very small numbers compared to vette and stangs each year until this one. And if you call from 90k to 67k in less than a year holding value then I want to buy your next new car after a year. The older vipers hold pretty well which I assume is what you mean, but we are talking about a Mustang here not a Viper.

The mustangs will depreciate and when you think about it people will pay 50-60k for new ones but they are only worth 41-47 at that very moment so after a year you are garaunteed to be low 30's for a low mileage car because the premium wont hold forever and they will sell for MSRP and who would pay 35k for a used one when you can pay 41k for a new one in year or so.

Viperluke

Established Member
A big reason the 60's musclecars command so much money is because they were the pinacle. The 70's hit and performance took a crap. For a long time.
That won't be the case with the GT500. Not only will there be a lot of them. But heavy competition is on the way from GM and Chrysler.
The GT500 could possibly be a classic one day. But not anytime soon.

mrGT

Established Member
Viperluke said:
A big reason the 60's musclecars command so much money is because they were the pinacle. The 70's hit and performance took a crap. For a long time.
That won't be the case with the GT500. Not only will there be a lot of them. But heavy competition is on the way from GM and Chrysler.
The GT500 could possibly be a classic one day. But not anytime soon.
Believe me, there was more competition from GM and MoPar back in the 60's than there ever will be today....Chevelle SS, Camaro SS, Firebird, the GTO Judge, the Olds 442, Roadrunner Hemi, Barracuda, etc. just to name a few. To say nothing about the all popular Vette. They are all collectables today.

bluestreak89

Established Member
mrGT said:
Believe me, there was more competition from GM and MoPar back in the 60's than there ever will be today....Chevelle SS, Camaro SS, Firebird, the GTO Judge, the Olds 442, Roadrunner Hemi, Barracuda, etc. just to name a few. To say nothing about the all popular Vette. They are all collectables today.

charger (hemi)
vette
camaro
gto
viper
magnum
impala ss
monte carlo ss
Ford GT

And you can call it rice all day but Im sure they wont be unwilling to change the body kit for someoneand lose out on a poccible sale.

Not to mention this car is a much better car than the Shelby. And for not much more.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
hmmmm Phil Long in Colorado Springs is a dealer!!! I'll have to go check one out. Still rather have a GT500 than a hopped up GT but it might be worth a trip?

Fourcam330

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
charger (hemi)
vette
camaro
gto
viper
magnum
impala ss
monte carlo ss
Ford GT

And you can call it rice all day but Im sure they wont be unwilling to change the body kit for someoneand lose out on a poccible sale.

Not to mention this car is a much better car than the Shelby. And for not much more.

Funny, considering you haven't driven either. I guess anything's "poccible". What are the powertrain specs? Please don't tell me it's boosted stock shortblock POS.

jman345

Banned
Bluestreck i disagree the shelby isnt a ordinary mustang its a shelby noway it will go into the 30 thousand range in a year the ones that come out first will be bought up like hotcakes people have been waiting more then 20 years to get this car so it just aint happening especially since everyone thinks 30 thousand total of these cars is alot when there are millions of people out there 30 thousand isnt alot at all.

jman345

Banned
And its already a classic when a car has carrol shelbys name on it not only is it a classic but a legend like getting a pair of shoes there not worth nothing until you slap michael jordans name on it then its worth alot and everyone wants them same goes for this car everyone that likes fast cars will want this car quit fooling yourself i promise there wont be one shelby left on the lot once they arrive. And ask the people who are paying 75 grand or more for this car if it will go down alot in the next year they will laugh at you no wait tell them it will be in the 30 thousand range in a year that will get a even bigger laugh.

bluestreak89

Established Member
jman345 said:
Bluestreck i disagree the shelby isnt a ordinary mustang its a shelby noway it will go into the 30 thousand range in a year the ones that come out first will be bought up like hotcakes people have been waiting more then 20 years to get this car so it just aint happening especially since everyone thinks 30 thousand total of these cars is alot when there are millions of people out there 30 thousand isnt alot at all.

Im talking about resale man. You tell me what used 41k car went for anywhere near 40k the next year. Im not saying MSRP will go down but for someone paying well over 50k for a car and in one year to be low 30's guys will be taking huge hits. Like the ones that paid 90k + for the Z06.

bluestreak89

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Funny, considering you haven't driven either. I guess anything's "poccible". What are the powertrain specs? Please don't tell me it's boosted stock shortblock POS.
Lol yeah that makes sense but people arent buying the shelby b.s. to charge more for a mustang that only handles a little better and is a little faster than the last cobra.

I know this will ruffle your feathers but 3900lbs is b.s. and will take some major weight reduction to do anything other than quarter mile. And they must have some hellafied belts to take that much weight and HP.

Who has driven a GT500 and a GT-X, not many if any but people are buying this Shelby because of the hype. "a 41k mustang :burn: " is all I have been hearing from the members here and while it doesnt sound that bad for a potential 11 sec car to me, something may be out of order. And certainly the 50's and 60's which people will be paying is not worth it to me, For what? the base GT cost mid 20's subtract the differences in prices for a 5.4 swap, drivetrain, brakes and suspension and I doubt you get 17k (22-37k after markup). You can build a much better and lighter GT for the price of a Shelby unless you have a powerlease or know someone important.

The GT-X you are getting a complete custom package and to many people the most important factor is the end result and certainly a GT with coilovers and the same HP will hand the Shelby it's arse on a platter. A 3 year warranty that includes Ford is a nice incentive too. A gearhead can call the shortblock a POS but that doesnt matter to the average consumer. And since you seem so high on the 5.4 then more power to you. For into 50k I would buy this car before the shelby and rape them everywhere. of course that opinion is objective because I have no idea who this tuner guy is and some research would be required.

blackbeast99

Mach'N it up
Established Member
I think the new shelby's are terds and I love mustangs. They are too heavy, not "that" fast, and dealers are marking them up too much right now :(

Fourcam330

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Lol yeah that makes sense but people arent buying the shelby b.s. to charge more for a mustang that only handles a little better and is a little faster than the last cobra.

Personally I could care less what the car is called. :shrug: The bottom line is the car is better in every performance aspect, despite being handicapped with Ford's latest throttle Nazi ETC, and rides on a much nicer platform. Yes, it's heavy, but such is life.

I know this will ruffle your feathers but 3900lbs is b.s. and will take some major weight reduction to do anything other than quarter mile. And they must have some hellafied belts to take that much weight and HP.

I never said the car was an OT special, obviously it was designed for cruising/daily driving. They will be outstanding at the strip when the mods start coming, and from the vids I've seen so far the car is far from horrible on a track either.

Who has driven a GT500 and a GT-X, not many if any but people are buying this Shelby because of the hype. "a 41k mustang :burn: " is all I have been hearing from the members here and while it doesnt sound that bad for a potential 11 sec car to me, something may be out of order. And certainly the 50's and 60's which people will be paying is not worth it to me, For what? the base GT cost mid 20's subtract the differences in prices for a 5.4 swap, drivetrain, brakes and suspension and I doubt you get 17k (22-37k after markup). You can build a much better and lighter GT for the price of a Shelby unless you have a powerlease or know someone important.

By that logic the '00R guys really got hosed, shelling out that kind of scrilla for N/A 5.4s in an antiquated chassis. The car is what it is, and that's not bad for the money.
As for your logic about buying a GT, lol, you mind as well start with a BIW or V6 if you want cheapest/fastest possible. The fact is many out there want something slightly less common than a Mustang GT. I'm sure the same applies to Z06 owners and standard Vettes.

The GT-X you are getting a complete custom package and to many people the most important factor is the end result and certainly a GT with coilovers and the same HP will hand the Shelby it's arse on a platter. A 3 year warranty that includes Ford is a nice incentive too. A gearhead can call the shortblock a POS but that doesnt matter to the average consumer. And since you seem so high on the 5.4 then more power to you. For into 50k I would buy this car before the shelby and rape them everywhere. of course that opinion is objective because I have no idea who this tuner guy is and some research would be required.

What are the powertrain specs? Is it a supercharged stock bottom end 4.6 3v? HP/TQ #s? Can't read the scanned mag.
What's with the non sequitor avg. consumer comment? Who gives a shit about the average consumer, we're comparing cars. :shrug:
$50k for that thing? LMFAO. With the $4k+ cost difference the GT500 would piss all over the "X" in a straight line--which btw, is what the majority care about.

Users who are viewing this thread