GT500 vs. GTO

manOwar

Established Member
Ok, We have heard all the BS of the vette vs. GT500.

I want to know if the GTO can be considered in the same class as the GT500?

:pop:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
manOwar said:
Ok, We have heard all the BS of the vette vs. GT500.

I want to know if the GTO can be considered in the same class as the GT500?

:pop:

Plain and simple.....

No!!!

...and it looks like a Grand Prix!
:xpl:

Besides they don't even make them anymore as of MY '07

manOwar

Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Plain and simple.....

No!!!

...and it looks like a Grand Prix!
:xpl:

Besides they don't even make them anymore as of MY '07

Works for me, the GM fanboys have nothing then....:loser:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
they are actually in the same category of vehicles, 2+2 coupe, rwd, V8, 6 spd trans, muscle car. The GTO will be eaten alive by a GT500.

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
they are actually in the same category of vehicles, 2+2 coupe, rwd, V8, 6 spd trans, muscle car.

Yes and I was real excited when I first heard that they were bringing back the GTO with 400 hp (until I saw the ugly thing). It looks like a front wheel drive sh*tbox to me (no offense to all the goat owners on this forum)....

I just think GM could have done WAY better overall with regards to the lines and the bodystyle of the car (I also think it would have sold much better if it had retro-styling and actually looked more like an old goat).

Nice try though Pontiac (better luck next time).

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I think the GTO is a more accurate comparison but still not a fair one since it is an older design. I would have liked to see GM step it up to compete with the GT500 instead of axing it though. Even though the GTO is rather boring in my opinion I like its styling more than the Camaro concept. I think that car is just ugly rather than bland.

Last edited:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
IMHO its still not on a level of the Cobra even. The GTO looks like a poorly designed Grand Prix/Mustang concept. Too much of the look of a "sports sedan" incorporated into it. They certainly didn't bring back the true muscle car look.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
What is the GTO's icon website? Kinda like SVTPerformance, do they have a large active website? I'd like to see how they chat over there.

coreseller

Established Member
The GTO was based on a 10 year old Holden design / platform when brought over in '04, the nose is Pontiac specific. I agree that the design is a bit bland but you have to remember that was when Pontiac was getting blasted by the automotive media about garrish plastic body cladding. Yep, the GM boys were as cocky as some of the new GT500 guys are now then about their GTO's, also some of the dealers were getting big mark-ups over sticker initially. All around I think it's a pretty solid car (I've got an '04 6 spd with 70K mi.) with very good road manners. The interior of the GTO is very well done. No, it isn't a 500 hp Shelby, but then again, mine ran $23.5k new ('06's can be had for $27 to $28k now). The price difference is a real factor (especially when the GT500 is nearly double) if you are comparing the two. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

EddieHaskell

Interweb Racing Legend
Established Member
coreseller said:
The GTO was based on a 10 year old Holden design / platform when brought over in '04, the nose is Pontiac specific. I agree that the design is a bit bland but you have to remember that was when Pontiac was getting blasted by the automotive media about garrish plastic body cladding. Yep, the GM boys were as cocky as some of the new GT500 guys are now then about their GTO's, also some of the dealers were getting big mark-ups over sticker initially. All around I think it's a pretty solid car (I've got an '04 6 spd with 70K mi.) with very good road manners. The interior of the GTO is very well done. No, it isn't a 500 hp Shelby, but then again, mine ran $23.5k new ('06's can be had for $27 to $28k now). The price difference is a real factor (especially when the GT500 is nearly double) if you are comparing the two. My 2 cents.
Yep, you are right. The Monaro was an older platform when it came here and it was more of a stopgap product scheduled to run 3 yrs. The new GTO will be here in '08 or '09.

Like coreseller said, the current GTOs can be had for $27-$28k -- considering markup for the GT500, that is $20k or more cheaper! Add to this, the GTO has IRS(ride quality), and it's ~200 lbs lighter -- I believe that is an awesome deal. With a simple cam swap and headers (~$1500) the GTO can match the power to weight ratio of the GT500 for a MUCH lower price.

I consider the GTO to be more of a poor mans M3 -- the looks of the GTO can fit in at the track or the country club. They also have a fantastic interior.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
I've raced one to 50 from a dig (off the spray) and we were door to door until we had to let out due to traffic. My car is not stock and runs mid 12s off the spray though. On the spray it would have been nasty. Nice car in person and I love those Brembo brakes! This guy did pay $62K out the door so as far as the same auto class: technically - yes, pricewise - hell no . . .

For questions above:
Weight is 3720 stock
Monaro came out in 2002
My car looks like a 2006 CV8Z (sans hood)

Last edited:

BigJim

Mostly Read
Established Member
No, they are not 3800 but 3725. Also this is a very unfair comparison. I am not going to use the old blower excuse but we all know it will come.

STARTING OUT - This is no GT500 ,but I raced my buddy's 03 when he had intake,midpipes,exhaust, and I had intake,midpipes,exhaust, and programmer and it was about even from about 20 to 110. He maybe pulled about half a car to a car which I consider close. Now, that he has a programmer his car fills like a freaking bullet and I am not going to race him anymore, lol.

POSITIVE

The engine(LS2) in this car is really a strong runner. It pulls to 160+ no problem :). The interior is really really nice for the price range that it is in. The transmission is great T56 and tough. The whole car is just really well built for the price you are getting it at. Everything in the engine bay just looks like it belongs and isn't cluttered up with shit. Looks, the big turnoff for many for this car. Some may like it some may hate it, but it is a head turner regardless of what people may think. I do admit I really do not like the front end but it isn't bad or anything. Just a little bland to me. But overall this cars strong aspects outweigh its weak and is a great car for the money.

NEGATIVE - The exterior I think looks good in its original form with the Holden Monaro frontend but when Pontaic decided to slap their plastic piece of shit on the car it made me sick; this is why it looks like a Grand Prix. I also HATE the Irs; it rides good but the wheel hop is beyond bad. It can be fixed with some simple mods but it is still annoying. Another thing I don't like about it is the fact that GM put a 235 size tire on the rear. When I am making close to 380 at the wheels that is not going to cut it hence the reason the tires are bald.

SUMMARY - Overall I think the GTO is a rock solid car. It just depends what you are going to use it for. If you want to cruise around in comfort racing ever once in awhile this is the car for you. If you like to go to the strip and like modding for cheap this is not the car for you. Don't bash too hard till you take a ride in a modded Goat. They can be quick, but GT500 owners don't have to worry about it. Everyone have a good day.

-Jim-

Last edited:

BigJim

Mostly Read
Established Member
I hope most don't mess with the ole Doc here. He is a great driver and has a sweet setup on his car. ;)

SteveEvo8

Established Member
BigJim said:
No, they are not 3800 but 3650. Also this is a very unfair comparison. I am not going to use the old blower excuse but we all know it will come.
STARTING OUT - This is no GT500 ,but I raced my buddy's 03 when he had intake,midpipes,exhaust, and I had intake,midpipes,exhaust, and programmer and it was about even from about 20 to 110. He maybe pulled about half a car to a car which I consider close. Now, that he has a programmer his car fills like a freaking bullet and I am not going to race him anymore, lol.

POSITIVE

The engine(LS2) in this car is really a strong runner. It pulls to 160+ no problem :). The interior is really really nice for the price range that it is in. The transmission is great T56 and tough. The whole car is just really well built for the price you are getting it at. Everything in the engine bay just looks like it belongs and isn't cluttered up with shit. Looks, the big turnoff for many for this car. Some may like it some may hate it, but it is a head turner regardless of what people may think. I do admit I really do not like the front end but it isn't bad or anything. Just a little bland to me. But overall this cars strong aspects outweigh its weak and is a great car for the money.

NEGATIVE - The exterior I think looks good in its original form with the Holden Monaro frontend but when Pontaic decided to slap their plastic piece of shit on the car it made me sick; this is why it looks like a Grand Prix. I also HATE the Irs; it rides good but the wheel hop is beyond bad. It can be fixed with some simple mods but it is still annoying. Another thing I don't like about it is the fact that GM put a 235 size tire on the rear. When I am making close to 380 at the wheels that is not going to cut it hence the reason the tires are bald.

SUMMARY - Overall I think the GTO is a rock solid car. It just depends what you are going to use it for. If you want to cruise around in comfort racing ever once in awhile this is the car for you. If you like to go to the strip and like modding for cheap this is not the car for you. Don't bash too hard till you take a ride in a modded Goat. They can be quick, but GT500 owners don't have to worry about it. Everyone have a good day.

-Jim-

Jim,

Well put. My friend has a GTO, and i was skeptical at first. But wow after driving it for a bit i fell in love. The seats are amazing thats for damn sure. Idk what that guy is saying it doesn't "pull" up top. But maybe its cause I'm coming from a 4 cyl and the top end on the goat is impressive to me.

I was surprised at the room it has inside as well, the back seat room is massive. I am 6'3.5" and with the front seats all the way back i am fairly comfortable sitting back there.

For the price, it can't be beat. I know if i could do it over again I'd def get an 05/06 GTO.

And it seems to be put together really nice, no rattles and noises like you will get from other cars made under 35k

Steve

Last edited:

BigJim

Mostly Read
Established Member
SteveEvo8 said:
Jim,

Well put. My friend has a GTO, and i was skeptical at first. But wow after driving it for a bit i fell in love. The seats are amazing thats for damn sure. Idk what that guy is saying it doesn't "pull" up top. But maybe its cause I'm coming from a 4 cyl and the top end on the goat is impressive to me.

I was surprised at the room it has inside as well, the back seat room is massive. I am 6'3.5" and with the front seats all the way back i am fairly comfortable sitting back there.

For the price, it can't be beat. I know if i could do it over again I'd def get an 05/06 GTO.

And it seems to be put together really nice, no rattles and noises like you will get from other cars made under 35k

Steve

I appreciate you opinion on the Goat, and yes it does pull up top like a mofo compared to 95% of the cars out there. Now with just a little work like headers, heads, and a cam with a good tune you can be or damn close at 500 hp to the wheels naturally aspirated. So, yes you can make them fast but it takes a little money and work. Btw Steve you arn't as bad as some of the others make you out to be here. If you are ever looking for somewhere to find some more info out just hit up ls1gto.com. Also Evo's are no joke...

Users who are viewing this thread