Established Member
chuckstang said:
the new gto's are anything but a head turner
it blends right in with the cavs, grand prix and such

I'm sorry your always a fool; no, I mean your always right. :rockon:

Last edited:

whitecobra2387

Established Member
Guys over sea's theres the new holden monaro VXR 500 and it has 493 Hp its giving the gt 500 a run for its money. I did a little research and the monaro feels a little faster said by the drivers, because it ways 100Kilograms less which equals to 220 lb pounds i havent been able to get numbers but the Drivers said it felt faster the shelby??? But shelby is still #1 for me

BigJim

Mostly Read
Established Member
whitecobra2387 said:
Guys over sea's theres the new holden monaro VXR 500 and it has 493 Hp its giving the gt 500 a run for its money. I did a little research and the monaro feels a little faster said by the drivers, because it ways 100Kilograms less which equals to 220 lb pounds i havent been able to get numbers but the Drivers said it felt faster the shelby??? But shelby is still #1 for me

It would be nice if they brought Holdens to the US. Maybe they will someday or at least the engines.:pepper:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
they are actually in the same category of vehicles, 2+2 coupe, rwd, V8, 6 spd trans, muscle car. The GTO will be eaten alive by a GT500.

+1 :thumbsup:

I agree that the goat is actually in the same comparative category to the Terminator & GT500 than the vette is. You are comparing true musclecars here. Apples to apples. BTW the gto will also be eaten by the Terminator. :-D

Last edited:

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
I have yet to drive a GT500, but I have driven my cousin's '04 Goat plenty of times enough to know that it drives outstandingly. I agreed just about 100% with Jim's description earlier. I along with everyone else just wish that GM made the styling a little more bold when they imported the Monaro over.

The interior is great!!!

dredg9

Established Member
please, my buddies mildly modded buick regal raced one the other day and stayed door to door with one to 120.

manOwar

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
+1 :thumbsup:

I agree that the goat is actually in the same comparative category to the Terminator & GT500 than the vette is. You are comparing true musclecars here. Apples to apples. BTW the gto will also be eaten by the Terminator. :-D

That is what I wanted to get out of this thread. Not apples and oranges.

Doc and BigJim, Good form.:beer: We all have great cars but this just goes to show the mentality of the vette owners.:nono:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've got some footage of a GTO in my GT500 track footage somewhere? I'll have to look for it! It didn't do too well against the GT500. :(

BigJim

Mostly Read
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I've got some footage of a GTO in my GT500 track footage somewhere? I'll have to look for it! It didn't do too well against the GT500. :(

Now we can't really compare the two cars on a track. haha, I would love to see how a stock GTO would keep up on the straits, but I bet it would be fun to watch.:pepper:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
BigJim said:
Now we can't really compare the two cars on a track. haha, I would love to see how a stock GTO would keep up on the straits, but I bet it would be fun to watch.:pepper:
gto is a 106 trap at best, gt500 is 118 trap at best = gto gets pulled hard.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The GTO may be in the same catagory as the GT500 but its in a different performance class. I attribute alot of that to the age of the GTO however.

I would like to see how they stack up to each other in the handling department though. Maybe that would show some people that the stick axle handles rather well compared to an IRS. :shrug:

Formula51

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
gto is a 106 trap at best, gt500 is 118 trap at best = gto gets pulled hard.

I believe the best trap times for the GTO are around 110mph and the car weighs about 150-200lbs. less than the GT500. All this still equals GTO gets pulled hard, but not quite as hard:)

Another interesting thing is to look at 1/4 mile times on stock tires. The best a owner has run on stock tires is 12.7 I believe? and I think there have been some GTO's hit 12.9. Now we know that is only because the GT500 is traction limited, but stock for stock they may not be THAT far off. Certainly we know who the winner is though: GT500.

I think the GTO did very well for it's nicely loaded price tag of $32k MSRP and the GT500 does extremely well for it's price of $42k MSRP. Although the GTO vs. GT500 is apples to apples, $10k is an awefully big difference.

Formula51

Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
The GTO may be in the same catagory as the GT500 but its in a different performance class. I attribute alot of that to the age of the GTO however.

I would like to see how they stack up to each other in the handling department though. Maybe that would show some people that the stick axle handles rather well compared to an IRS. :shrug:

The GT500 would certainly best the GTO in handling, but you have to remember that the GT500 has bigger and better tires as well as a more sport tuned suspension than the "touring sedan" GTO as some have called it. I mean come on, what muscle car has 235 series tires in this day and age!?!

I would bet the GTO rides nicer over bumpy roads and pavement changes though. Nothing wrong with a stick axle on smooth roads, but it can be a bit scary during high speed corners on bad roads. It will not be long until the Mustang has an IRS as the competition will have them and the public will demand the ride quality.

If you cannot tell, it's late, I can't sleep and I am very bored. hehe.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Formula51 said:
The GT500 would certainly best the GTO in handling, but you have to remember that the GT500 has bigger and better tires as well as a more sport tuned suspension than the "touring sedan" GTO as some have called it. I mean come on, what muscle car has 235 series tires in this day and age!?!

I would bet the GTO rides nicer over bumpy roads and pavement changes though. Nothing wrong with a stick axle on smooth roads, but it can be a bit scary during high speed corners on bad roads. It will not be long until the Mustang has an IRS as the competition will have them and the public will demand the ride quality.

If you cannot tell, it's late, I can't sleep and I am very bored. hehe.

I completely agree, I would still like to see a good comparison done just because of the amount of people that were bitching about how the GT500 didn't have an IRS. :thumbsup:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
IMO the GTO actually falls dead center between the Mustang GT, and the GT500.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread