GT500 vs Z06

Demonio1023

Established Member
What TT kit do you have on it and why on earth are you only revving it to 6100? I understand about being on street tires (reason i'm always on dr's) and starting in 3rd isn't the best spot for a vette atleast not for a damn 30 or 55 roll. Get some dr's, rev it to 7K, and start in second and bang those gears.

I got a used TTIX kit for about 3k. It is one of the earlier kits they built, so I didn't spend much money on it. The turbos are capable of 1000hp. I am running 6lbs simply because this is my daily driver and these motors have been dropping valves like crazy. I decided to keep it "REAL SAFE" until I build a motor for next season and then I'll turn up the boost. The car made over 650 when revved to 7k and a bit more timing in it, but I don't want to take anymore risks. It is a real safe tune. Honestly though, even at this power level it is hard to put the power down without a drag radial. It's a fun car for sure! I can punch it in any gear (1st - 4th) and it lights up the tires. :beer:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I am running 6lbs simply because this is my daily driver and these motors have been dropping valves like crazy. I decided to keep it "REAL SAFE" until I build a motor for next season and then I'll turn up the boost. :

even on a stock motor running OEM springs is crazy. They are WAY to easy to change and WAY to cheap not to put an upgraded set of springs, retainers, and locks in. Even guys with bone stock cars will upgrade the springs to keep from droping one.

Demonio1023

Established Member
How much power can a stock C6Z motor take?

That's my next car :rolling:

Most people say 650rwhp is about as much as they can make safely. I've seen videos of a few makng over 700 with race gas and spot on tuning.

How many psi is the z on? 2 -3 lol to make 603 or it has 10 mm turbos

Sick cars but that z is low on power it seems unless hes running 2psi lol.

600hp on twins? How much boost, 2lbs? Not hating at all either, just wondering.

LOL 5mm turbos running 1.5 lbs... I am running 6lbs no timing and rev limiter set at 6100. It's my daily and it's going to stay this way until I build a motor.

600rwhp with twins???? Doesnt the avg H/C Z06 make upper 500rwhp? I remember Livernois did a nasty stage 3 heads and cam Z06 and made 630rwhp on pump and 645rwhp on 109octane.

and 6100? the factory redline is 7k?

just wondering not trying to call you out Z06 guy..just clear up some thoughts

Yes, most Zs make above 550 with a heads and cam package and upwards of 600 with heads/cam/more compression on e85, like the Livernois car.

Demonio1023

Established Member
even on a stock motor running OEM springs is crazy. They are WAY to easy to change and WAY to cheap not to put an upgraded set of springs, retainers, and locks in. Even guys with bone stock cars will upgrade the springs to keep from droping one.

It's not the springs that are the problem, it seems that is dropping exhaust valves due to bad head design which is causing excessive guide wear. There are tons of threads on this issue on the corvette forum. Most people are sending out their heads and having the guides and valves replaced.

Detoxx03

El Cucuy
Established Member
Just change the valves. It wouldn't have been of the first things I would have done. Still need to rev it higher. I have a LS3 and revving to 6900.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
It's not the springs that are the problem, it seems that is dropping exhaust valves due to bad head design which is causing excessive guide wear. There are tons of threads on this issue on the corvette forum. Most people are sending out their heads and having the guides and valves replaced.

hmmm had a buddy with a z06 and he always said it was a spring/lock issue. good to know

Nick13

GTSLOW
Established Member
LOL I get locked out of gear on 1 shift and apparently I suck at driving. That's my GT500. It was a great time. I'll be back down in the spring, maybe we can set up a few more runs?

NA_Cobra

Established Member

Upgrading the springs is not a solution to the dropping of the valves. Also, if he's still on the stock cam, there is no point in upgrading to stiffer springs, especially if he's shifting at 6100rpms.

Unlike the C5Z that experience dropped valves via valve spring failure, on our C6Z, the LS7 has a design flaw which creates excessive heat on the exhaust valves which gets the valve out of spec eventually snapping over time. H/C setups accelerates the wear.

You can change to SS valves but it's just a bandaid, only downside is that they are heavier as compared to the factory units. I've been looking at aftermarket Trickflow heads...

It is not a spring lock issue. :bash:

Last edited:

Demonio1023

Established Member
Just change the valves. It wouldn't have been of the first things I would have done. Still need to rev it higher. I have a LS3 and revving to 6900.

Yea I should change the valves. I will probably do the head work when I go with a forged block. When I had an intake and exhaust I had the rev limiter at 7100. Again, just keeping it safe for now. Once I build a motor, I will do a clutch, drag radials and definitely turning up the boost.

Upgrading the springs is not a solution to the dropping of the valves. Also, if he's still on the stock cam, there is no point in upgrading to stiffer springs, especially if he's shifting at 6100rpms.
Unlike the C5Z that experience dropped valves via valve spring failure, on our C6Z, the LS7 has a design flaw which creates excessive heat on the exhaust valves which gets the valve out of spec eventually snapping over time. H/C setups accelerates the wear. You can change to SS valves but it's just a bandaid, only downside is that they are heavier as compared to the factory units. I've been looking at aftermarket Trickflow heads...
It is not a spring lock issue. :bash:

I completely agree! Some trick flow heads would be nice, do you know if they build them off of the LS7 head castings?

Demonio1023

Established Member
LOL I get locked out of gear on 1 shift and apparently I suck at driving. That's my GT500. It was a great time. I'll be back down in the spring, maybe we can set up a few more runs?

This is SVTP, if you don't shift as fast as a GTR transmission, you are no good... LOL

I'll be there, we will definitely get some runs in. I may up the boost because I heard you have something different this time around. We are going to need to have Dave work on his camera skills as well, they are not up to SVTP standards LOL

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Yea I should change the valves. I will probably do the head work when I go with a forged block. When I had an intake and exhaust I had the rev limiter at 7100. Again, just keeping it safe for now. Once I build a motor, I will do a clutch, drag radials and definitely turning up the boost.

I completely agree! Some trick flow heads would be nice, do you know if they build them off of the LS7 head castings?

You're doing better than me, LOL, I don't drive mine much. I think I put between 50-70 miles on it this entire year alone. The whole valve issue has me more paranoid than a crackhead.

Im not sure, but not many Z owner's switch to TFS heads or have kept or driven them long enough to have pulled the head to check for wear & clearances on the exhaust valves and I'm not interested in being a guinea pig.

Last edited:

jimc04

Established Member
You're doing better than me, LOL, I don't drive mine much. I think I put between 50-70 miles on it this entire year alone. The whole valve issue has me more paranoid than a crackhead.

Im not sure, but not many Z owner's switch to TFS heads or have kept or driven them long enough to have pulled the head to check for wear & clearances on the exhaust valves and I'm not interested in being a guinea pig.

it seems the guides are machined wrong. check plugs for oil if you have oil on them valves seals are leaking because of the guides/valves.

Users who are viewing this thread