Guitar people come in

MonkeysL

Established Member
I personally wouldn't encourage any of the guitar/amp packages. You tend to come out of them with a not so great amp. If it were me I'd buy the guitar and amp seperately. If I were to recommend something it'd probably be this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-DA5-5w-1x6-5-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482065-i1168989.gc

I personally know two people who have one of them and they sound great. Small, very easily portable, can operate on the batteries for what seems like ever. Don't let the small size fool you either, it f*cking screams when you turn it up...

yea, i don't know where the package deal came in???? i am just referring to a guitar.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
The mexi strats are good guitars. I used one as a backup guitar when I was on tour a few months ago. Your best bet though is to take her to guitar center and tell the salesman what you want to spend, have her sit down and let him bring guitars to her. Never buy a guitar that she hasn't played. Don't get set on one guitar before she plays a few. Also, Ovation guitars are acoustics that have plastic backs in a bowl shape. They are designed to get a full bodied sound with smaller guitars for smaller players.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I would agree on the Fender Stat as a very good starter guitar, the question is what type of music will she be playing.BTW that is a very nice first guitar if you choose that one, what amp are you going with?
Is that Glenn Tipton in your avatar?

If so, the guitar solo in Electric Eye is one of my all-time favorites.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
No, It's the Late Great Randy Rhoads, but I agree on the solo it's a good one.
OK, I can see that now, but that particular pic, he's a dead ringer for Glenn. On second review, K.K. was the one always playing a Flying-V, anyway :-D

Blizzard of Oz is one awesome guitar solo after another, imo. Certainly great, absolutely taken too early.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Sorry to hijack. The Fenders are "easier" to play because the necks are very thin, in comparison to, say, a Gibson Les Paul or SG (Angus Young's choice). Buy her one of the entry level strats and she'll have a nice guitar to grow with that won't break your bank account. They used to go by the moniker of "Squire". Any good quality guitar store can help you.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Strats are a perfect beginner guitar. Whether it be a Squier (Fender's economy brand) or an actual Fender. I got my Squier Strat Affinity Series used in brand new condition for $80 off craigslist. It sounds great.

PS - Make sure to get one the rosewood fretboard.

Last edited:

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
I've been playing guitar for 14-15 years now and I've played a lot of different guitars. For the money one of the best guitars I have played near the $600 price range is this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Blackjack-Electric-Guitar?sku=518480

The Schecter will give her a wide range of tones throughout the years she plays. It sounds beautiful clean...you can get a nice bluesy sound..and it absolutely melts faces when distorted. I also feel the sustain and harmonic characteristics are better than most Fenders. This guitar is actually comparable to most of the PRS guitars IMO...so you get a $3000 dollar guitar sound out of a $600 guitar. Not bad in my book.

As others have said...take her to a guitar center and have her play a few guitars. When she finds the right one she will know. If you have any other questions feel free to send a message my way. Good luck!

MonkeysL

Established Member
thanx for all the help guys, i ended up picking her one up lastnight at a guitar store in a near by town. it wasn't the one i linked but the model right below that version. even though i was stuck on the color and model i posted, they made me a good deal to pick this one up, plus gave me a great deal on a Vox(i think was the name?) amp that does all kinds of cool things, a fender case that was pretty sweet looking, and other supplies.

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
It's better to learn on an acoustic but get whatever she is comfortable with. I started out with an acoustic and got a red strat shortly after. Now I got guitars all over the house.

I disagree and always thought that was a ridiculous myth. I remember working at GC and kids' moms would try to shove one down their kids throat when they wanted something easy to learn on. An acoustic is far more physically difficult than an electric.

If an aspiring player is interested in a particular type of music, buy them a guitar appropriate to that style. If someone wants to learn Slayer songs, don't stick them with a Strat and if they want to learn Flamenco don't get them a Jackson. That's just discouraging.

What did you end up getting her?

Users who are viewing this thread