GUNS: Riot buying edition!

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Picked up a Kel tec Ksg 12 g a few months ago. Fantastic home defense and hunting shotgun. I like have 7 rounds of slug for bear or dear and 7 rounds of bird shot for some tasty grouse.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Any suggestions for a pistol grip shottie?

Been looking at the Mossberg 590 shockwave.

Have you shot a pistol grip shotgun? They are fun for about 5 minutes, at least in my experience. Get something with a stock even a tactical style stock with pistol grip

I'd recommend a Mossberg 500 or 590 pistol grip with a 7+1 ammo capacity. If you're on a budget and want a reliable 12 gauge, you simply cannot beat a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the money.

I have a maverick 88 and have to agree it is stupid simple and reliable. I see them go on sale for 169-200 bucks all the time. Mine probably has 1500-2000 shells through it with 0 issues. Not the nicest shotgun by any means but its a nice backup to have for under 200 bucks and it goes boom every time.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I'm about to head to my local shop and see what's goin on

Might come home with something I dunno lol, depends what he has in stock

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm content for now with my two 9mms for personal protection, along with a sufficient cache of 9mm ammo. The way crap is unfolding in this country, though, my thinking/priorities might change a bit soon. By then, obtaining additional guns and ammo might not be so easy. I do have a gift card from my local shooting range/gun store, so when I go to the range next week I'm scope out what they have.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Recreation/plinking only. No competition.

6mm for the speed or 6.5 for the weight?

Creed definitely then, factory available ammo for those that don’t reload. Biggest thing with any of those is the BC and the 6-6.5 are the most efficient. Short action makes it available in AR10 variant too.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Ankle gun is a good idea. Being tackled is one reason many advocate not carrying in the small of your back. The gun may damage your spine when you fall and if your pinned you won't be able to reach for it and pull it out.

With that said, I need to get a snub nose and ankle setup. Shits only getting more crazy.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Remember you're talking about overcoming rioters. You could probably scare them off with a NES duck hunt gun. The pop from a .22 would probably have them screaming for their mommies.
Screenshot_20200606-074308.jpeg

venmos1

Established Member
When you get comfortable with it look into swapping the trigger to an Apex trigger. I have an M&P 9 4.25in barrel. It's modded pretty good now but the first thing I did was swap the trigger to an Apex 3lb. Better feel, crisper break when pulling three trigger. Get an extended mag and then look at buying the Performance Center ported slide and barrel or any aftermarket brand. You can swap the sites too but I have always found the factory ones acceptable for me..

Appreciate the info. I do have the extended mag. Fits my hand perfectly. What does the performance center ported slide and barrel do? I love the way this gun feels in my hand. Really look forward to getting to know it well. The other gun that felt nice was the sig p385. But that was like 5 or 550. More than I wanted to spend on my first hand gun. But a very nice gun.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I have always bought American guns but in 1987 I purchased a 357 Desert Eagle. It’s very intimidating.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Depends if you want a Blunderbuss style like the shockwave or traditional pistol grip. Tube mag or box mag?

Shockwaves are cool and with the right bolt on pistol grip stock (kicklite) they can be very effective for home defense. Downside is that you have VERY limited mag capacity. You have to be careful though as the wrong stock could convert it into a short barrel shotgun which is an NFA classified item and subject to a tax stamp and ATF review. And waiting.... lots of waiting lol

Kalashnikov USA recently brought out their Comrade shotgun (Saiga 12 style). Box magazine, AK battery of arms. Solid shotgun though for home defense, I prefer to recommend tube fed shotguns.

A box mag is vastly faster to change and reload the shotgun. BUT, if you exhaust all the ammo in loaded mags, you're a sitting duck. With a tube fed shotgun, you can reload as you go. Always topping of the tube and with a shell loaded in the chamber.

I'd recommend a Mossberg 500 or 590 pistol grip with a 7+1 ammo capacity. If you're on a budget and want a reliable 12 gauge, you simply cannot beat a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the money.

Thanks. I’ll check those out.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Have you shot a pistol grip shotgun? They are fun for about 5 minutes, at least in my experience. Get something with a stock even a tactical style stock with pistol grip

I have not used a PG. Seems like a good choice for home defense, as opposed to the longer ones with a stock.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I have not used a PG. Seems like a good choice for home defense, as opposed to the longer ones with a stock.
It comes down to weapon manipulation and control. Out on the range just blasting stuff or a very concealable truck gun the Shockwave style shotguns are great. For defending the home, an 18"-20" with tactical pistol grip stock will give you the best control.

Last thing you want is feeling anything less than full confidence that where you aim your shotgun is where the buckshot or slug is going to go. Only way to really do that is shoulder the gun and aim down the sight. A shockwave style grip cant let you do.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Appreciate the info. I do have the extended mag. Fits my hand perfectly. What does the performance center ported slide and barrel do? I love the way this gun feels in my hand. Really look forward to getting to know it well. The other gun that felt nice was the sig p385. But that was like 5 or 550. More than I wanted to spend on my first hand gun. But a very nice gun.

I'm actually not sure if they have the ported slide in the Shield but I assume they do. It is a slide and barrel with ports cut toward the end of the barrel on the top side so when you fire the gasses escape upwards pushing the barrel downwards to help with muzzle rise.

Screenshot_20200606-152743_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread