Gurgling noise from the exhaust on deceleration

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I have had my Magnaflow X-pipe with cats and the FR-500 catback on for a while now and have gotten used to the sounds it makes. Today I drove next to a stock 03 Cobra, it still had no license plates, and I could hear the gurgling noise it made as we slowed down. I now vaguely remember that my car did this also when it was new but, with my current exhaust, that noise is gone. Does anyone else have this gurgling noise when decelerating, stock or modified exhaust, and is it annoying?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Doesn't that gurgle come from the stock "H" pipe and is gone with the "X". I have a custom 3" "H" pipe and mine still does that...

ur a fag

Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra
*** dude, does this happen on your Cobra too? or are you talking about your pontiac?
It happens on my 'Bird:thumbsup:

ur a fag

Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra
So it does not happen on your COBRA is what you are saying, just the pontiac?:shrug:
Dude I dont have a Cobra. The 'Bird is my Pontiac.

03cobra#116

Established Member
Mine's stock and it gurgles. Other cars I have owned gurgled too. I like it.

It is really repeating ok ok ok over and over, as it to say I'm resting enough -- spin the blower back up.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I did not know pontiac had an SVT program. :-D
Maybe deep down inside he wants a COBRA.:coolman:
With that said, I can't for the life of me figure out how his older f-body relates to the 03 COBRA's. When I read issues or problems noticed/posted, I assume they are about the 03 COBRA. At least I though I was in the 03 COBRA Forum:lol: I have a few friends with older f-bodies and don't really care to hear about their problems, I dont own an f-body:-D

Happy New Year:beer:
And ***, if you do indeed have a COBRA and are saying you have this same issue, my apologies:smmon:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
:smmon: ***, you must have been posting while I was. I see now that you don't own an 03 COBRA.
Sorry to hear about that. SO, how does your stock f-body exhaust have anything to do with our 03's:shrug:
:beer:

Last edited:

lebda

Established Member
Mine gurgles & pops with Bassani x and cat-back (2 chamber & 4" tips). Sounds sweet!!! Sounds like the car is saying, "wow, that was awsome acceleration.......I'm ready for more"!

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I'm sure all V8s with free (or freer) flowing exhaust makes that gurgling noise. Mine does it quite well especially with the o/r x-pipe and dynomax 3" catback. Sounds quite mean when you down-shift from a higher gear. Mine gurgles and pops (back fires) like crazy -- I love it -- sounds mean!

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Mine does it with the stock exhaust and wont mind if it does it once I get the Magnaflow catback installed. Perhaps just a meaner gurgling noise:-D

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Just be sure that the noise is not being caused by condensation, as this can lead to premature rusting of the exhaust pipes.

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
I've noticed that when just regular cruising around and downshifting that it makes this noise. However, right after opening up the car to full throttle then decelerating, it doesnt gurgle but instead has a steady bass tone that drops.

Users who are viewing this thread