Guys need some help! Over heating and A/C problems

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like your cooling fan is on its way out. With the compressor on, the fan should be running to pull air through the condenser. Without any air drawn through the condenser, you will not get much, if any, cold air. Likewise, if the fan doesn't run at all, it will cause your overheat issue.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
A few things may be wrong, first check the connector for your fan(its right by the fan on the engine side). Disconnect it and look to see if the connector or either prong inside is melted. Second, try to switch your fan relay with one that is less important . Third, If your car is tuned it may be tune related (rare but possible) Good luck!!!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the connector attached to the fan is melted, you'll need a new fan. For the connector to melt, something is generating a lot of heat due to high resistance. I'd replace the fan regardless.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
If one of the relays is bad will it be burnt? Where is the best place to get the replacement relays?

It may show physical signs of excessive heat and/or be internally cooked. My high speed fan relay exterior was charred and it did not function internally when tested. I will post relay test procedures this evening; it is a simple test using a multi-meter, car battery, and a ground. You can use the rear window defroster relay (they are identical) to troubleshoot your fan issue. I go to the dealer for OEM parts, but any parts store should have a suitable replacement in stock. They are a little pricey at the dealer.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
There is a connection at the fan that has a small coiled wire that is unfortunately exposed to the elements. That is probably crapped out.

You can buy that wire/cable/connection as one unit. I'll bet that's it. Mine did it and I've seen others.

bj

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Okay thank you. I will check it tonight.

How hard is it to replace the wire/cable/connection? Where can I buy a replacement if it is in fact burnt?

Not hard.
Yes.

Check with Tousley Ford Parts or Tasca. You can see the part if you use their search. Plug and play

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Okay thank you. I will check it tonight.

How hard is it to replace the wire/cable/connection? Where can I buy a replacement if it is in fact burnt?

Not hard.
Yes.

Check with Tousley Ford Parts or Tasca. You can see the part if you use their search. Plug and play

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Use this procedure to test your relays:

Relay test.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
My fan fried too. I was on the road and when traffic slowed, my temp started getting higher. Long story short, the Ford dealer I made it to said they couldn't help me for a couple days (car was under warranty). I ended up paying out of pocket and had Pep Boys replace the fan so I could get home.

Thanks Ford Dealer!

Users who are viewing this thread