guys who have taken the red pill, i have some quesitons......

neckdemon

Established Member
so to all of you who have done the wheel hop fixes, i want to know......
how did it work out for you? can you now spin the tires smooth and do a burn-out? or does the car still wheel-hop when you try to light them up? i just am trying to make up my mind on whether or not i should beef up my irs or swith it to a solid axle. i'm just totally sick of wheel-hopping whenever the damn tires break loose. i already have the DR's on the way. but i still want to be able to spin them and heat them up without wheel-hopping. thnx in advance for any input.

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
neckdemon said:
so to all of you who have done the wheel hop fixes, i want to know......
how did it work out for you? can you now spin the tires smooth and do a burn-out? or does the car still wheel-hop when you try to light them up? i just am trying to make up my mind on whether or not i should beef up my irs or swith it to a solid axle. i'm just totally sick of wheel-hopping whenever the damn tires break loose. i already have the DR's on the way. but i still want to be able to spin them and heat them up without wheel-hopping. thnx in advance for any input.

Just my $0.02. Right now my long term plans are to build up the IRS. The car was designed with the IRS (or perhaps a better statement is the car was designed with a solid rear and the IRS was shoehorned in, regardless....) and I'd rather turn towards the aftermarket to strengthen that feature. Now, I also don't plan on using the car just for 1/4 track runs.

neckdemon

Established Member
N S said:
Just my $0.02. Right now my long term plans are to build up the IRS. The car was designed with the IRS (or perhaps a better statement is the car was designed with a solid rear and the IRS was shoehorned in, regardless....) and I'd rather turn towards the aftermarket to strengthen that feature. Now, I also don't plan on using the car just for 1/4 track runs.

i also don't plan on going to the track too often. i just don't want to ****ing wheel-hop anymore.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
neckdemon said:
i just don't want to ****ing wheel-hop anymore.

Then put a pre 98 solid in.

Otherwise, go buy:

delrin bushings
aluminum diff bushing
irs "brackets" (the good kind you'll have to search past authorized vendors for)
diff brace
and probably a bunch of other crap you can find on w/e color pill

Last edited:

neckdemon

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Then put a pre 98 solid in.

Otherwise, go buy:

delrin bushings
aluminum diff bushing
irs "brackets" (the good kind you'll have to search past authorized vendors for)
diff brace
and probably a bunch of other crap you can find on w/e color pill

i really don't want to put a solid in unless it's the only choice.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
Well, it's not the only choice. The DR's will help alot. Aluminum diff bushings will help but they do transfer noise. Subframe connectors, Billetflow subframe brackets, Billetflow diff. brace(not for hop) and maybe some delrin control arm bushings and that wheel hop should be gone. One thing to remember is road conditions affect it alot as well.

neckdemon

Established Member
RedfireSVT said:
Well, it's not the only choice. The DR's will help alot. Aluminum diff bushings will help but they do transfer noise. Subframe connectors, Billetflow subframe brackets, Billetflow diff. brace(not for hop) and maybe some delrin control arm bushings and that wheel hop should be gone. One thing to remember is road conditions affect it alot as well.

so you say i should go with the aluminum diff bushings instead of the urethane bushings? ho wmany bushings are there to actually change? the irs bushings. the uca and lca bushings. and the diff bushings?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
neckdemon said:
...snip... but i still want to be able to spin them and heat them up without wheel-hopping. thnx in advance for any input.

If you remember in the MATRIX, the blue pill was the one to take if you wanted to go back to the norm, stay asleep and stay comfortable thinking you were OK and had made a good choice.

The RED PILL was the awakeing one, potential for pain at first but also a promise of enlightenment. Also it was the only way to reach true freedom or wisdom

Well, that was a movie......

This is frickin suspension.......

Stop deflection and vibration and wheelhop never starts.

There is only the RED PILL. The blue pill is just a history lesson full of regrets. :loser:

neckdemon

Established Member
postban said:
If you remember in the MATRIX, the blue pill was the one to take if you wanted to go back to the norm, stay asleep and stay comfortable thinking you were OK and had made a good choice.

The RED PILL was the awakeing one, potential for pain at first but also a promise of enlightenment. Also it was the only way to reach true freedom or wisdom

Well, that was a movie......

This is frickin suspension.......

Stop deflection and vibration and wheelhop never starts.

There is only the RED PILL. The blue pill is just a history lesson full of regrets. :loser:

yeah i knew where you got the pills from. so i guess i should go with building up my irs, according to you. i know you've run both. out of all the opinions her eon this matter i think yours is pretty valuable. so you think i'll be happy with my irs once i complete all the fixes?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
neckdemon said:
yeah i knew where you got the pills from. so i guess i should go with building up my irs, according to you. i know you've run both. out of all the opinions her eon this matter i think yours is pretty valuable. so you think i'll be happy with my irs once i complete all the fixes?

I promise double your advice fee back if you are unhappy with the results.
Screw it, triple just for you. :)

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
I'd do a 1+ up on the stock IRS. I mean it WAS Made/Designed for a specific reason. So why "lose" it!? But "you" either HATE IRS or LOVE it. So to each thier own!

neckdemon

Established Member
i like the IRS just fine. i just hate the wheel-hop. postban has me believinf that i can cure the wheel-hop. so i'm leaning towards seing how far the rabbit hole really goes.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
neckdemon said:
i like the IRS just fine. i just hate the wheel-hop. postban has me believinf that i can cure the wheel-hop. so i'm leaning towards seing how far the rabbit hole really goes.

As long as you save the adj shocks for absolute last (they pretty much ruin the ride, garbage compared to bilsteins) and do everything else, brace/all bushings/toe link bars/brackets/coupe springs you will like it.
hopefully you will not need the shocks. I am going back on bilsteins and gonna see if they like 750rwhp or not.

That will also allow you to use other tires than DR for DD and get rid of hop. Having to reduce cornering performance and handling because you need to drive on bias ply ancient tire technology is not a good trade, neither is losing control of the car in rain, DR will do that.

Last edited:

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i do not have the adjustable shocks or the PHP toe link bars...i have zero wheel hop. i did everything else, but i opted for the full delrin IRS setup from one of the Cobra R members on the board and i could not be happier. i have heard that guys who use the urethane bushings were still getting some wheel hop (not often though), but w/ the delrin, they are much more solid than then urethane. if you can afford to spend the extra money for delrin, i highly recommend it.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
sbc.cobra said:
i do not have the adjustable shocks or the PHP toe link bars...i have zero wheel hop. i did everything else, but i opted for the full delrin IRS setup from one of the Cobra R members on the board and i could not be happier. i have heard that guys who use the urethane bushings were still getting some wheel hop (not often though), but w/ the delrin, they are much more solid than then urethane. if you can afford to spend the extra money for delrin, i highly recommend it.

+1 on the Delrin. I have urethane throughout the IRS and can occasionally get hop. I am swithcing everything I can to Delrin this summer when it's over 110 degrees and I can't drive anyways :kaboom:

And I'm also shelling out for the Pauls HP toe link rods.

neckdemon

Established Member
postban said:
That will also allow you to use other tires than DR for DD and get rid of hop. Having to reduce cornering performance and handling because you need to drive on bias ply ancient tire technology is not a good trade, neither is losing control of the car in rain, DR will do that.

i've been driving my stangs on DR's for a while now. nitto's are ok in the rain if you take it easy. i just can't see getting any traction with any other tire. i can live with the trade off of going slow in the rain so i can hook up when it's dry. maybe once all is said and done imight consider swithcing to other tires. i'll have to see when the time comes though.

Users who are viewing this thread