guys who have taken the red pill, i have some quesitons......

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
My Cobra has only had wheel hop 1 time at the track in 120 passes and 1 time on the street in many WOT launches, but I always ran BFG DRs or MTETs on low tire pressure with massive burn outs. I guess they are all different my buddy broke his stock axles in his first BFG dr launch!

RJM03Cobra

10 second snake
Established Member
postban said:
As long as you save the adj shocks for absolute last (they pretty much ruin the ride, garbage compared to bilsteins) and do everything else, brace/all bushings/toe link bars/brackets/coupe springs you will like it.
hopefully you will not need the shocks. I am going back on bilsteins and gonna see if they like 750rwhp or not.

That will also allow you to use other tires than DR for DD and get rid of hop. Having to reduce cornering performance and handling because you need to drive on bias ply ancient tire technology is not a good trade, neither is losing control of the car in rain, DR will do that.

Postban I was getting ready to add the strange adjustables, we are doing the IRS now, should I hold off? I am setting up strictly for Friday nite drags, putting in the bushings, detroit locker, and 4;10s, what do you think?

neckdemon

Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
Postban I was getting ready to add the strange adjustables, we are doing the IRS now, should I hold off? I am setting up strictly for Friday nite drags, putting in the bushings, detroit locker, and 4;10s, what do you think?

if you're setting up for strictly drag shouldn't you go with the drag suspension? like 90/10's and what not?

neckdemon

Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:
I did the 90/10s on the front, I am discussing the rear shocks.

sorry. my bad. i said 90/10 and "what not". i'm not sure if irs uses the same basic principals in setting up for drag. like some pr-launch springs. maybe an airbag in the right rear, etc...in a solid rear i know that the shocks are supposed to sit a little more than half-way compressed. you could go adjustable i guess, and then adjust to whatever setting plants you the best. typically you don't want to go with anything softer than you have to. 50/50 maybe 60/40. i'm no expert though, just sharing what has been taught to me.

neckdemon

Established Member
sbc.cobra said:
i do not have the adjustable shocks or the PHP toe link bars...i have zero wheel hop. i did everything else, but i opted for the full delrin IRS setup from one of the Cobra R members on the board and i could not be happier. i have heard that guys who use the urethane bushings were still getting some wheel hop (not often though), but w/ the delrin, they are much more solid than then urethane. if you can afford to spend the extra money for delrin, i highly recommend it.

edit: i already found out that the set i'm gonna be getting is in fact the same set you got. i guess i'm on my way to no wheel-hop, hopefully. DR's are aready on, and it reduced the wheel-hop somewhat. bushings: up next.

Last edited:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I have done everything and this has eliminated the wheel hop. HOWEVER, if I had it to do over again, I would do it in stages. I think some of these measures are marginal with regard to how much they help. I would do it in this order, testing after each item:

1. Aluminum diff bushings. I think it is most important to have the diff solidly mounted to the subframe. Full length sub frame connectors. "Mathis" braces (BF style - these can be welded at the same time as the FLSF's). (The diff brace goes in here too but does not help with wheel hop.)

2. Good sticky tires. I tried the Nittos but still could get some slight hop. The BFG's are much better (315/35R17 on 10.5" wheels).

3. Urethane subframe bushings and the 14mm bolts.

4. Stiffer shocks (I use Strange adjustable with the BF bushings.)

5. PHP toe link bars. I read somewhere that the stockers flex quite a bit during wheel hop.

6. Control arm bushings. For all the trouble these were to change out and get right, I have my doubts about how much help they were.

neckdemon

Established Member
badboy said:
I have done everything and this has eliminated the wheel hop. HOWEVER, if I had it to do over again, I would do it in stages. I think some of these measures are marginal with regard to how much they help. I would do it in this order, testing after each item:

1. Aluminum diff bushings. I think it is most important to have the diff solidly mounted to the subframe. Full length sub frame connectors. "Mathis" braces (BF style - these can be welded at the same time as the FLSF's). (The diff brace goes in here too but does not help with wheel hop.)

2. Good sticky tires. I tried the Nittos but still could get some slight hop. The BFG's are much better (315/35R17 on 10.5" wheels).

3. Urethane subframe bushings and the 14mm bolts.

4. Stiffer shocks (I use Strange adjustable with the BF bushings.)

5. PHP toe link bars. I read somewhere that the stockers flex quite a bit during wheel hop.

6. Control arm bushings. For all the trouble these were to change out and get right, I have my doubts about how much help they were.

thnx. i started out with tires. i went with the nitto DR's because the car is a DD and i need to be able to drive it in the rain if need be. i'm going to have all the bushings done at one time. and since i want the delrin set that is being sold by a member here i'm going to be doing them next, because he only makes a limited number of sets. then i'll do the sub-frame connectors, the diff cover brace, and the irs brackets. after that i'll probably do the toe-link bars if need be. in between i will probably be doing some go-faster mods as well. just some minor bolt-ons at first like the jlt rai, and a cat-back and mid-pipe. after all that is done i will either do gears or a pulley. probably gears first.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
RJM03Cobra said:

Sorry, did not see this till just now. Sounds like how I was setup last year. 4.10 will need a 28 tire unless you wanna wind it to 6900 crossing the line.

Good luck

GodStang

Established Member
How do the Bilstiens you buy after market compare to the Bilstiens that come factory on the Cobra?

Users who are viewing this thread