Guys who live in the north...

Nick Nasty

Established Member
So this will be my first snow season with a car. I can't afford to store it, and no one has spare room in there garage. so it looks like the car is going to be sitting outside this season with a car cover. Is there anything special I should do? I don't plan on driving it so that I can avoid the salt, and it will have a cover on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I plan on driving mine all year round and when it snows i will throw a cover on it and drive my awd suv...i like driving my car so much i cant just let it sit unless we get snowed in for a week!

DNT H8

Established Member
Find heavy mil large tarp (or hook two together) lay it out, center the car on it and hook it to the bottom of car cover... It will block the moisture from the ground when the temp fluctuates.
Also figure out what direction the weather usually comes in from and put a building or house inbetween the car and the weather. If that's not possible face the rear of the car to the weather and add a extra smaller tarp over the rear of car placing it over the cover and under the bottom tarp acting as a extra blocker.

DNT H8

Established Member
Also depending on your location rural/city it can be a good idea to put mouse traps under the car, the type that trap the mouse inside a housing.

nonliberal

Established Member
So this will be my first snow season with a car. I can't afford to store it, and no one has spare room in there garage. so it looks like the car is going to be sitting outside this season with a car cover. Is there anything special I should do? I don't plan on driving it so that I can avoid the salt, and it will have a cover on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Get a cardboard box, dump a bag of charcoal in it and set it inside the car.
It absorbs any moisture that gets in the car so it don't smell musty in the spring. Some people also plug the exhaust pipes to keep moisture out but I don't know if thats worth while or not.

Justin81

Established Member
I bought a Noah Car cover from Cali Car covers for $233. Than I bought a Pep Boys car cover to cover the Noah for $70. This should be a pretty weather proof set up for this winter. Last year it didn't even Snow.

Nuar

Established Member
This car i've been storing. My last mustang however, slept outside behind the house.
I always did an oil change right before storage, it dumps out all the moisture and let it idle on fresh oil for a few minutes (5+). Let the new oil coat everything.
Give it a good bath and a coat of wax to keep the cover from scuffing the paint up.
Fill the tank up to full and dump fuel stabilizer in there. This requires you to idle the car to circulite the stabilizer through the system, so i recommend doing that and the oil change at the same time. Finally disconnect the battery (the cold will drain it very fast) and bring it in the house, cover up the car and give it a hug good night :(

Periodicially throughout winter i hooked up the trickle charger to the battery to keep it healthy and not let it drain.

Get a GOOD CAR COVER.
Like the one american muscle sells or better.
They help release the moisture from underneath, but still keep the car dry when it rains and snows. This is very important.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
As long as you don't drive it with salt on the road, it's fine. Snow isn't going to hurt it.

Also, a lot of car covers trap moisture, not really the best idea. There are ones that release the moisture, make sure it's one of those. If not, just let it sit in a driveway, if snow gets on it, it won't hurt anything .

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
Justin81 that second cheap cover is preventing the Noah cover from doing its thing and letting the moisture escape. Just food for thought.

Gulfstream

Established Member
He lives in FT Drum and I know they use salt up there. They also use sand too. If I was you, Id just park it on a tarp and strap the tarp to a car cover. Or, you could buy those car bubble things Ive seen before and just go out when it snows to knock the snow off it. Changed the oil for sure and fill full of fuel like Nuar said.

I know you said you cant afford storage but Its really not that bad, Im sure you could find a place that would cut you a military discount being in fort drum.

I have my car in a storage unit for around 100 bucks a month. Not good but not bad. I can deal with the price for 3-4 months.

Users who are viewing this thread