Guys who've ETS/PCS with full-size trucks

Oceanside78

Established Member
What did you do?!? I ETS in 5 weeks and went to go reserve a uhaul a trailer and was told my trucks too big, Penske said the same. It's a 2002 Harley Davidson F150, I need any suggestions. I'd really really like to NOT ship it, I wanted to take it myself because I have family I was going to stop and stay with for 3 days and want a POV. I'm going from Ft. Bragg NC to Tucson AZ. Appreciate any suggestions!!

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
Are you married or have someone who can drive your truck to AZ while you drive the Uhaul? That's the only way your going to be able to do it. Unless you can fit all your stuff in a pull behind trailer that you can pull with the F-150. I had stuff shipped by a private company which was considered a Ditty. And I towed a trailer with my Suburban. I got paid for all of it which was the best part.

Oceanside78

Established Member
I am, but she'll be driving the that with the kids. We can't afford to drive the truck instead of the uhaul, she gets 30MPGs, I get 10, add the gas of the uhaul and we'll need every MPG we can get

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
They pay you for gas brother. I would drive the truck with the kids in it and you drive the Uhaul towing the other car. That's what DLA and advanced travel are for.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
You can also get an advancement on your moving allowance. You will still pocket some good money once its all said and done, trust me. If you have the means to do it moving yourself is the way to go. Hard work but you get paid pretty good for doing it!!

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
They pay you for gas brother. I would drive the truck with the kids in it and you drive the Uhaul towing the other car. That's what DLA and advanced travel are for.

You can also get an advancement on your moving allowance. You will still pocket some good money once its all said and done, trust me. If you have the means to do it moving yourself is the way to go. Hard work but you get paid pretty good for doing it!!

....you don't get DLA when you ETS. :bash:

He will get travel pay for one vehicle.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
....you don't get DLA when you ETS. :bash:

He will get travel pay for one vehicle.

I am pretty sure he can get more than 1 vehicle with mileage (unless another change has come):
Military Travel Rates
"Remember, the rate is per car, not per person. So, for example, if a military member and his/her spouse traveled to a new duty station in one car, the reimbursement rate would be $0.24 per mile (total) for both of them. However, if they traveled in separate cars, the reimbursement would be $0.24 cents per mile for each car."

Here is a separation page from DFAS, two cars but MUST be on orders. he may need an amendment:
http://www.jackson.army.mil/Finance/Separations.htm
You may request an advance against your travel entitlements either on day of processing prior to beginning Transition Leave/Permissive TDY or day of Retirement. What this equates to, you will be paid 100% of mileage and per-diem for yourself. If your dependents are to accompany you, the local Finance Office will pay mileage only for your dependents. Their per-diem will be paid upon settlement of your Home of Selection Travel with DFAS Indianapolis. If you are going to claim travel for two privately owned vehicles, it must be authorized in your orders. Remember this money is only an advance against your entitlements. It does not mean that you have made a home of selection. Once you have completed your travel and established a permanent residence (home of selection), you will then submit your travel voucher for settlement and any moneys paid to you in advance will be collected from your settlement.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure he can get more than 1 vehicle with mileage (unless another change has come):
Military Travel Rates
"Remember, the rate is per car, not per person. So, for example, if a military member and his/her spouse traveled to a new duty station in one car, the reimbursement rate would be $0.24 per mile (total) for both of them. However, if they traveled in separate cars, the reimbursement would be $0.24 cents per mile for each car."

Here is a separation page from DFAS, two cars but MUST be on orders. he may need an amendment:
Defense Military Pay Office (DMPO)
You may request an advance against your travel entitlements either on day of processing prior to beginning Transition Leave/Permissive TDY or day of Retirement. What this equates to, you will be paid 100% of mileage and per-diem for yourself. If your dependents are to accompany you, the local Finance Office will pay mileage only for your dependents. Their per-diem will be paid upon settlement of your Home of Selection Travel with DFAS Indianapolis. If you are going to claim travel for two privately owned vehicles, it must be authorized in your orders. Remember this money is only an advance against your entitlements. It does not mean that you have made a home of selection. Once you have completed your travel and established a permanent residence (home of selection), you will then submit your travel voucher for settlement and any moneys paid to you in advance will be collected from your settlement.

This is good info as I am 90 days out from retirement and have gone to all my briefs. The info that they are pitching in Korea is not inline with what you presented me here. I am NOT saying that it is wrong, but I am gonna run it down as I have to get 3 cars from Cali to Savannah, Ga.

Travel pay only, though, no DLA which does suck

Thanks for this info though

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is good info as I am 90 days out from retirement and have gone to all my briefs. The info that they are pitching in Korea is not inline with what you presented me here. I am NOT saying that it is wrong, but I am gonna run it down as I have to get 3 cars from Cali to Savannah, Ga.

Travel pay only, though, no DLA which does suck

Thanks for this info though

Thanks for your service and I hope you get squared away before retiring. I have 30 years in and will be out 2015, SOF has a 32 year RCP. Just bought a house in Sarasota, FL. One last tour left in Afghanistan and hope fully I will return with all my limbs to enjoy retirement.

Oceanside78

Established Member
Thanks for all the help/info guys

Why not just rent a trailer big enough to tow your stuff with the truck?

Because the biggest uhaul trailer wouldn't fit 1/2 my stuff. Remember, I have me, wife, 2 children and the household items that accompany such

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Thanks for all the help/info guys

Because the biggest uhaul trailer wouldn't fit 1/2 my stuff. Remember, I have me, wife, 2 children and the household items that accompany such

I wasn't sure if you lived in an apartment or house where you'd have more stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread