Guys with aftermarket front sway bars. Having any issues?

beastmar

Established Member
Good morning,

So I've been running into a small problem with my front aftermarket sway bar. I purchased this sway bar from a very reputable member here on the forums. It does not have a logo or brand mark on the sway bar. It is blue in color and this did come off of his 03 cobra as well.

The problem I'm running into, is that every time I jack up the front end of the car, the sway bar hits the very front of the oil cooler and actually pierces the coolant hose to the oil cooler. I tried adding some washers (3 on each stud) to extend the bar further closer to the ground, but it still hits my oil cooler when I jack up the front or when I have to get up a very steep driveway. I'm tired of spending $50 (yes I know I can probably take my hose to an auto parts store and make something work) for that hose and I've replaced it 2 times now within a 6 month span.

Those with aftermarket sway bars, have you encountered this issue? How did you fix this?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I've always felt this platform is already prone to understeer with a rather stiff bar stock, adding an even stiffer front swaybar with a stock rear just adds to that.

Last edited:

beastmar

Established Member
I've always felt this platform is already prone to understeer with a rather stiff bar stock, adding an even stiffer front swaybar with a stock rear just adds to that.

I have the eibach rear sway bar installed. I'm just having issues with the front one. I'm really considering going back to stock instead of spending more money and purchasing that spacer kit.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I have the eibach rear sway bar installed. I'm just having issues with the front one. I'm really considering going back to stock instead of spending more money and purchasing that spacer kit.
bingo! most set ups are just fine with the factory bar. put your money elsewhere

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sway bar selection is part of the chassis tuning process. All your doing installing an aftermarket sway bar is changing the roll resistance at either end but without some track testing all your doing is throwing darts blindfolded. SVT put a lot of effort in to tuning the Terminator suspension including front and real bar rates. Talking to some of the road races they usually change the rear bar but left the stock front bar in place. A few had good results installing a Eibach rear bar but even doing that is hard to determine if that improves handling without considerable track testing.

I would reinstall the stock front bar. Maybe you can consider a rear bar but there are so many variables involved it will be hard to determine if you will get the results your looking for.

Good idea to replace the rubber bushing with urethane and rear outer links with heim joints. Steeda made a nice billet front sway bar bracket to replace the stamped steel unit but looking at their new one it looks like they got cheap and eliminated the spacer bracket moving it closer to the chassis which me no like.

old :)

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0504mm-steeda/

new :(

http://www.jegs.com/i/Steeda/957/55...pmt_be_pdv_c&ref=paid&brand=&channel=Shopping

Users who are viewing this thread