H/C Fbody vs s475 Cummins Ram

03snakeminated

Established Member
Excuse my poor manual shifting the automatic deal :nonono: , I just got this car not too long ago and this is the 2nd time i open her up, still learning the car and how these auto trannys work (more used to my ex-kb cobra :cryying:). The Diesel cummins belongs to a friend and that truck really moves
[youtube_browser]9GNoSMuNTXU[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

03snakeminated

Established Member
you put it in D and go :idea:

truck looks to move out very well
lol, I tried D before and felt the car was piss slow, till last night i was texting with a friend and we were discussing the shifting misshaps (he has an auto fbody for some time now) it happens that his shift selector from his 98 maro its different than my 00 T/A, and he has the D and OverDrive option on his while mine doesn't. Well long story short, 3 on my shift selector is Drive. Just found out that little detail last night :eek:, Another reason why i chosed to manually shift that bit, and even then, i was better off going from first to 3 (D) to avoid all that overrevvin crap.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
lol, I tried D before and felt the car was piss slow, till last night i was texting with a friend and we were discussing the shifting misshaps (he has an auto fbody for some time now) it happens that his shift selector from his 98 maro its different than my 00 T/A, and he has the D and OverDrive option on his while mine doesn't. Well long story short, 3 on my shift selector is Drive. Just found out that little detail last night :eek:, Another reason why i chosed to manually shift that bit, and even then, i was better off going from first to 3 (D) to avoid all that overrevvin crap.

IIRC the cars with only 3 on the shifter bezel are 2.73 cars....everything else is a 3.23 car.

mrlrd1

Established Member
That's not the rev limiter you're hitting. It's got another name... called transmission rebuild time.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
how can you **** up shifting an auto that bad lol

Shit happens, lol! I just bought a cammed stalled auto LS1 less than a month ago, and blew the 4l60e on the way home. Tranny's aren't reliable, but the car literally for a low 12 sec car puts a smile on my face that my 600whp fox never could. :burn:

Looks like a fun car O.P. :beer:

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Shit happens, lol! I just bought a cammed stalled auto LS1 less than a month ago, and blew the 4l60e on the way home. Tranny's aren't reliable, but the car literally for a low 12 sec car puts a smile on my face that my 600whp fox never could. :burn:

Looks like a fun car O.P. :beer:

Whaaaaaaaa how's that possible? I always felt like nothing could a put a smile on my face the way foxbody mustangs could (even just simple bolt on cars). Could you explain please? I just want to know because I'm starting to gain interest a little for a LS1 camaro/firechicken

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Stock 4L60e's hate high rpm shifts. I also wouldn't shift into OD with one. Built they are pretty reliable until 600+ hp then a 4L80e is a better choice.

If roll racing just drop it in second and as soon as you hit the gas up shift to Drive and let it rip...

No point in manually shifting each gear especially with a stall

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Whaaaaaaaa how's that possible? I always felt like nothing could a put a smile on my face the way foxbody mustangs could (even just simple bolt on cars). Could you explain please? I just want to know because I'm starting to gain interest a little for a LS1 camaro/firechicken

Not the threadjack original poster, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm slighted because my fox has always been a nightmare car. Still is. Last year it took me 4500$ just to get it running after it sat for 2 years with just needing a trans. I bought the Maro for 3000$ so i didn't care the trans went on the way home. (Don't race in higher gears like someone said, took out OD and 3rd with it)

You can't get a foxbody in decent condition for under 5k now like you used to. Plus even with a N/A 302 based motor you aren't showing up bolton fbodies. Of course you could put a block splitting 700+lift 347 stroker, but realistically Fbodies are the best bang for your buck now mostly due to the buy in is now even or cheaper than fox's (at least in this area). Fox's are still cheaper to build, but you can't find a good condition one around here for less than 10k.

The reason the car is more fun is instead of waiting for something to break like a fox (again, just MY opinion), you can just wait for oil pressure, and beat the crap out of these motors. And if you've ever driven a healthy stalled auto car on the street, the 1st downshift at 30mph is truely satisfying. My stalled auto mild H/C 331 88gt was more fun than my stick 357.

Last edited:

99BlownVert

Established Member
12 valve cummins are hard to beat, easy to make fast thats for sure. The weight killed it up top but they can do a lot down low.

Users who are viewing this thread