H&R Springs- Review

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Figured Id give my review on H&R Springs since theres been a lot of Spring Questions and I just installed mine.

The suspension setup I went with is :
H&R Super Sport Springs
Bilstein Shocks & Struts
MM Polyurethane Isolators

Ride height- is not too low at all. I dont know what most people keep complaining about... the ride height is not that low! Yes, if you run right into a curb while parking, you'll hit it, but its not that low. Theres these 4 huge speed bumps in my neighborhood, and I took them all at about 5 mph and it didnt even scrape! And trust me, they're big. If you can clear these, you wont have problem with 90% of the obstacles on the road ways and parking lots.

Ride quality- is excellent! A tad stiffer than stock. You can feel it a little bit over bumps, alot flatter cornering, and a better ride. Ride is not too harsh at all. This coming from my girlfriend who hates riding in rough cars. And she actually likes the ride of my car. Its a lil stiffer than stock, but a nice ride.

Dont need CC plates either. The camber wasnt thrown off that much. I believe this is mainly because 03s are a little lower from the factory hence it wasn't lowered that much compared to the other Mustangs.

Pics will come up tomorrow. I haven't gotten time to take some pictures yet. If you're thinking of springs, go with H&Rs! They rock! Just make sure you get the Urethane bushings as well. This eliminates sag from the stock rubber ones crushing and also keeps a better ride height. It does make it sit a lil higher, but thats only because of them not getting crushed like the stock ones.

Last edited:

High_Ram

Established Member
Thanx for the review. Just ordered them.

I noticed on MM's web site they had a part number for the Super sports, but H&R's website doesn't list the Super sports, just the Sports, but w/ the same part number? What gives???

Can't wait to see pics!!

sweet10th

Established Member
Yeah cant wait to see pics Vrrooom.

Mr fed ex just delivered mine yesterday.
I was kinda worried after i ordered them though , thought they might make the vehicle to low.

How much did it drop the car ?
Im running SSR GT3's with 315's on the rear and hope it doesnt rub once these are fitted.
By looking at my car i'd say im good for 1.5 inches of drop anymore and i may get in trouble cornering.

So a heads up for anybody looking into H&R super sports.....if my tires rub there will be a set of springs up for sale , lol.

What color springs did you all get ?

P.S.
Did any of you guys get the free pinion snubber ? .... i didnt.
Thought you were supposed to get a free one with a set of springs !

Last edited:

Griffin

Established Member
I got mine delivered last night as well. How long was the install and are there any tips I need to know about?

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I just installed the H&R Race springs.

I was afraid after riding in Cobramarks with H&R sports that mine would be too stiff. I could not tell the difference at all except is a little stiffer through the turns.

When I called MM they told me if I like to hit the corners to go ahead and get the race the ride is not much different. And sure enough he was right!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Vrrooom
Pics will come up tomorrow. I haven't gotten time to take some pictures yet. If you're thinking of springs, go with H&Rs! They rock! Just make sure you get the Urethane bushings as well. This eliminates sag from the stock rubber ones crushing and also keeps a better ride height. It does make it sit a lil higher, but thats only because of them not getting crushed like the stock ones.
I know you're not saying the ride high is actually higher than stock, but how much lower does the car set now with the new springs?

Your setup sounds like it is pretty much what I'm looking for.

venemous99cobra

Established Member
Does anyone know how long it should take to install springs on a Cobra with the IRS??? I have been very tempted to gettting a set for my car, but I am worried that the fact that the car has an IRS might make it take much longer to get installed and thus be a bit more expensive than I can afford right now.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by venemous99cobra
Does anyone know how long it should take to install springs on a Cobra with the IRS??? I have been very tempted to gettting a set for my car, but I am worried that the fact that the car has an IRS might make it take much longer to get installed and thus be a bit more expensive than I can afford right now.

springs alone without complete bushing kit should only take you 1.5 hours.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I meant the isolators make the car sit a little higher than using the springs w/ the stock isolators. Not higher than stock by any means.

I went w/ Bilstein HDs for the rear cuz I also did a solid axle swap too.

D-Cobra

Established Member
i just got rid of my steeda springs, and installed the H&R's.

the H&R's are way better than the steeda's.

i guess it's the difference between German engineering and Redneck engineering.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I scrape all over the place down here in south florida. It's not the bumpers that are too low, it's the crossmember. You have to be careful going over rough railroad tracks as well. I have about 2" to play with. At work I have to drive up a ramp and when I get to the top and level out my exhaust scrapes. No biggie..But other then that, they are PERFECT!

Brad

Banned
I cant agree with you on the ride height. Seeing I was the first to have them, I've had the most time to smash into just about everything there is to smash into. Put it this way, if you take a small speed bump at 5MPH you're going to hit the K-member. If you're doing 70 and hit a dip, people behind you WILL see sparks. The looks are second to none though.

03MUSTANGSVT

Established Member
I have a set of H&R sport springs ready to be put on, but the Mustang shop I'm using suggests that I put a set of caster & camber plates on which they are also saying will require me to have a four wheel alignment done. Has anyone done this as well?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I can't agree more with the review, no CC plates, I'm in spec, and the car is not too low at all and rides as stated above...
SWEET10TH,
Will you PM me or post results of your rear 315's when you get them on, I wanted to get 315's but was concerned with the car being too low.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 03MUSTANGSVT
I have a set of H&R sport springs ready to be put on, but the Mustang shop I'm using suggests that I put a set of caster & camber plates on which they are also saying will require me to have a four wheel alignment done. Has anyone done this as well?

I dont have CC plates although its a good idea. Honestly get them installed, drive around or let the car sit for a week to let the springs settle in, then bring it to midas.

I brought mine to midas, and they did a 4 wheel alignment for 80 bux and after about 10000 miles the car is still right on the money, no negative camber ware. I suggest getting several 2x4's cut and leave them in the trunk though. The midas guys said they came in handy getting the car on the lift. Plus if you need to jack the car the 2x4's are key. I'm sure some people think midas is a joke, but they did a kick ass job on my car.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
I can't agree more with the review, no CC plates, I'm in spec, and the car is not too low at all and rides as stated above...
SWEET10TH,
Will you PM me or post results of your rear 315's when you get them on, I wanted to get 315's but was concerned with the car being too low.

I've got BFG 315's, I had to hammer a little of the inside of the wheel well back to make them fit.... the inside of the wheel well, not the fender. They fit and look perfect.

cobraa4.jpg
kenmac.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread