Halfshafts and CV joints from Mark Williams

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
Halfshafts and CV joints from Mark Williams (drag setup)

i talked to the head engineer at Mark Williams today about our half shaft problem and showed him some pics of broken axles.He told me that the shafts the Cobra IFS uses look kinda like the same setup used in the 4cyl front wheel drive cars. I asked about the prospect of haveing Mark Williams make a Bulit Proof setup for the IFS mustangs. We talked for about 30min and i told him about this site and modularford. I know that Hammer is talking to the driveshaft shop but i figure that if Mark Williams could build them they would be better. He showed me a set-up they use on the 8.3 sec neon's and 8.5 sec Civics. the Neon runs about 1000hp. He said they have been in use for 3 seasons and have yet to have a failure. I told him about all of us that drag our cars and that their is a good customer base out there.

I'm susposed to call him this week and talk more about it. I will keep all of you involved.

For those of you that don't know Mark Williams they do the rearends for Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and some of the fastest front wheel drives in the world. So i think they would be a good company to deal with. He sounded really interested.

Brandon

Last edited:

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
add: We also talked about a group buy. Would anyone be into that?

Brandon

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
I think we are going to start seeing a lot of new stuff over the next year. It can only get better. Keep us posted.

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by Club "33"
I think we are going to start seeing a lot of new stuff over the next year. It can only get better. Keep us posted.

Yep I totally agree

Remember the 5.0 craze and how we went from a couple boltons to aftermarket every nut and bolt in your car in what seems like a couple years?

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
I'm going to talk to him again this week...on Thursday. I'll poast what he say's.

Brandon

cobrastrike

Established Member
good deal let us know, I was going to buy some GKN shafts,but I might wait to see what he can offer.....some shafts less then $1000.00
would be better...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
We are going to need more than just half shafts, look at all the destroyed diffs and broken diff covers we are seeing. I personally still like the idea of a whole bolt in IRS replacement, something thats better designed, light and stronger.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by VegasCobra
add: We also talked about a group buy. Would anyone be into that?

Brandon
Only if the product is better than the one DSS is coming out with. And similarly priced.

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
I agree about the price...and yes it would be the whole assembly including the hub.

jonas

Established Member
dude I cant wait!!!

anyone need a ginneapig car in socal?
I have no probs donating my car for some fitament and testing

Car putting out 550-600 rwhp

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I suspect half shaft failure is in my near future. Just bought some new Nitto's. I am very interested and willing to commit if the price isn't too outrageous.

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
ok got info about the half shaft thing......i talked to the head engineer and he told me they can make the whole rearend assembly...pretty much a new IRS but.....he feels it is more cost effective to just do a straight axle swap....he said price wise why spend $3000 on all new parts for a new IRS when you can get a 8.8 to handle 900+ hp for less than that....he can do it and will if theirs enough interest....but for drag he feels that the 8.8 straight axle is the way to go.....

Let me know everyone's feelings.

Brandon

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Originally posted by VegasCobra
ok got info about the half shaft thing......i talked to the head engineer and he told me they can make the whole rearend assembly...pretty much a new IRS but.....he feels it is more cost effective to just do a straight axle swap....he said price wise why spend $3000 on all new parts for a new IRS when you can get a 8.8 to handle 900+ hp for less than that....he can do it and will if theirs enough interest....but for drag he feels that the 8.8 straight axle is the way to go.....

Let me know everyone's feelings.

Brandon

Brandon,

Good info, thanks! I pretty much expected thats what they would say. IMO the solid axle makes more sense for the track guys. For the others that see limited or no track time I think the irs is too nice to take out. Besides unless your wheel hopping the shit out of your car you can get plenty of good runs on the irs. Im sure wheel hop isn't the only contributor to breakage but traction will help your chances for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread