Halfshafts and CV joints from Mark Williams

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I'm with him, straight axle. THe last thing I saw on an AVAILABLE bulletproof IRS was 7K. If DSS (or anyone else) comes up with one, then I'll believe, but until then, I'm not counting on it. Personally, I feel that until we get a complete system that DOESN'T use CV joints, it's going to be a waste. BUT, that's just MHO.

BTW, anyone know why our IRS doesn't use U-joints?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru

BTW, anyone know why our IRS doesn't use U-joints?
Can they make half shafts for us with u-joints or is there something about the IRS design that wont allow it?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by VegasCobra
ok got info about the half shaft thing......i talked to the head engineer and he told me they can make the whole rearend assembly...pretty much a new IRS but.....he feels it is more cost effective to just do a straight axle swap....he said price wise why spend $3000 on all new parts for a new IRS when you can get a 8.8 to handle 900+ hp for less than that....he can do it and will if theirs enough interest....but for drag he feels that the 8.8 straight axle is the way to go.....

Let me know everyone's feelings.

Brandon

I probably have driven 500,000 miles in straight axle Mustangs. I know the bolt in IRS is a compromise, but after about 3 miles in my 99 Cobra, I was impressed enough that I never considered going to a straight axle. It was so nice to hit a bump in a turn and not have the back end step out. To me a straight axle is yesterday's technology. If I wanted a car with a 1960's suspension, I'd get a 1960's car. If I wanted a straight axle, pure drag car, I'd get a Fox notchback and save myself a lot of money.

I know, all the straight axle guys will chime in with how it handles and rides just a nice and will 60 ft 1.4x and better. The 60 foot part may be true, but I don't by the handles and rides just as nice part.

At Atco there are quite a few Z06's running 10's with 1.4x 60 fts. I don't see those guys in a hurry to dump their IRS.

I'm not either, although it is clear we need stronger halfshafts, and a stronger rear cover.

I would spend the 3K for a reliable IRS unit. Straight axles that can handle '03 Torque levels, while they may be less than 3K, it aint by much.

You also need to factor in the cost of strong enough controls arms, a new cat back, new rear shocks with damping rates for the straight axle and some other little goodies. Of course you can sell the IRS you are not using and get back some of those costs.

JT

Last edited:

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I probably have driven 500,000 miles in straight axle Mustangs. I know the bolt in IRS is a compromise, but after about 3 miles in my 99 Cobra, I was impressed enough that I never considered going to a straight axle. It was so nice to hit a bump in a turn and not have the back end step out. To me a straight axle is yesterday's technology. If I wanted a car with a 1960's suspension, I'd get a 1960's car. If I wanted a straight axle, pure drag car, I'd get a Fox notchback and save myself a lot of money.

I know, all the straight axle guys will chime in with how it handles and rides just a nice and will 60 ft 1.4x and better. The 60 foot part may be true, but I don't by the handles and rides just as nice part.

At Atco there are quite a few Z06's running 10's with 1.4x 60 fts. I don't see those guys in a hurry to dump their IRS.

I'm not either, although it is clear we need stronger halfshafts, and a stronger rear cover.

I would spend the 3K for a reliable IRS unit. Straight axles that can handle '03 Torque levels, while they may be less than 3K, it aint by much.

You also need to factor in the cost of strong enough controls arms, a new cat back, new rear shocks with damping rates for the straight axle and some other little goodies. Of course you can sell the IRS you are not using and get back some of those costs.

JT

You know its funny you mention that..because tonight with 2 of my buddies who just sold their Viper and Z06 they wouldnt believe how my half-shaft broke...they said sorry to tell you but the Mustang IRS seems like shit..i said well it is...their are loads of Viper and Corvettes going 1.4/5 on the IRS...he told me it must suck going around fearing when a halfshaft is gonna go..not if.

Then again the Viper and Corvettes were cars born with it..the Cobra's IRS was atopted into it..maybe some better design from Ford might of helped

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
I'm with JT. This is my daily driver, and I like to put the top down, grab the wife and run to Santa Barbara. That is not a drag car.
I want to run at Willow and Buttonwillow. Not a drag car.
But I also want to get in the 11's now and maybe the 10's later.
The Cobra allows me to contemplate doing both things with the same car.
Our best 60 ft on the IRS is 1.7, but we still baby it a bit. I plan to see what mine will do before it breaks. If (when) it breaks, I will make it stronger.

I have demonstrated that I'm willing to pony up the cash for anything that I think will solve a problem or improve performance (in a way that works for me -- no turbo envisioned yet).
I do want to have the car a consistant 11 sec car before seriously contemplating the KB (or a contender).

I've quit worrying about the breakage possibility. You know, maybe the crappy prep of the SoCal tracks is what is saving us. The group of guys I run with are all approaching 11s and so far NO ONE has had any problem with any drivetrain component other than the clutch. But no one is going lower than 1.7 on the 60 either.
JW

Users who are viewing this thread