Has anyone thought about/attempted this?

JoeS197

Established Member
So I've come up with this idea to put a Ford GT engine into a S197 Mustang. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. I've been researching up on this build that Paul's High Performance did for the 2006 SEMA Show, and they basically stuffed the motor from the Ford GT into a v6 mustang. Some things need to be fabricated and moved out of the way for the engine to fit because the under drive accessories are so widely spread out. I was quoted $25,000 for the engine from X2 Builders (the guys who sell all the wrecked vipers/ford GTs) which is a lot! But if you bought a 2005 GT/v6 roller for let's say $3000 and a TR6060 and driveshaft out of a GT500 for $2500. GT500 Brembo's for $600, some suspension components for $5000 and have a custom wire harness/computer made up I could see it happening for around $45k+ which is a lot more than your average GT500 but you get the cool factor of the Ford GT engine (which are practically brand new) and it will be much lighter than a GT500, make more power, and make a great sleeper. I understand this isn't the most efficient way to 500+ Hp but it sounds so fun :rockon: anyone care to chime in with any ideas or criticism?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
How much lighter would it be ? Basically your building a GT500 from the ground up. By the time you switch all the parts you basically have a GT500 without the amenities. Isn't the GT500 basically a base stang with it upgrades in power train , suspension , and body parts. Good luck on the build but doesn't seem special.

Now put the power plant in a fusion or Taurus and you're different with a sleeper. Get it in a fiesta and the cameras come out. Just my opinion though

Furrytractor

Established Member
How much lighter would it be ? Basically your building a GT500 from the ground up. By the time you switch all the parts you basically have a GT500 without the amenities. Isn't the GT500 basically a base stang with it upgrades in power train , suspension , and body parts. Good luck on the build but doesn't seem special.

Now put the power plant in a fusion or Taurus and you're different with a sleeper. Get it in a fiesta and the cameras come out. Just my opinion though

I remember MM&FF's had an article years back on a silver svt focus that had a terminator motor in it. And that definitely had the WOW factor. To me, for the $$ OP is talking here, just get the GT500. At the end of the build, you would probably be wishing you had just bought the GT500 from ford.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It would be a lot cheaper/cooler to me just putting a terminator motor in a new edge mustang. I agree with the above though for that much just buy a shelby because once your done with that build it will be almost impossible to sell without a huge loss, imo.

SCCA SM

Established Member
Why a ford gt motor? Buy a ford gt block and build an aluminum 5.4.

Have you considered that the intake for the ford gt blower would have to go through the firewall otherwise you would have to swap to a gt500 blower. Once swapped to a gt500 blower why not a gt500 motor?

A gt500 is much more car than a base model. I own 2 s197's. An 05 gt with built motor blower suspension and baer 6 pistons. Ive also got a pullied gt500..

The gt500 has a better transmission, suspension, motor, and everything. Both cars have shaker 500's. But the shelby shaker is 10x better. The shelby dash is leather. Boost guage in the stock dash. Better seats. The shelby is a better mustang any way you compare them.

Furrytractor

Established Member

Have you considered that the intake for the ford gt blower would have to go through the firewall otherwise you would have to swap to a gt500 blower. Once swapped to a gt500 blower why not a gt500 motor?

A gt500 is much more car than a base model. I own 2 s197's. An 05 gt with built motor blower suspension and baer 6 pistons. Ive also got a pullied gt500..

The gt500 has a better transmission, suspension, motor, and everything. Both cars have shaker 500's. But the shelby shaker is 10x better. The shelby dash is leather. Boost guage in the stock dash. Better seats. The shelby is a better mustang any way you compare them.
Was the shaker 1000 and option? Or did they do away with the 1000 after the mach?

JoeS197

Established Member
I remember MM&FF's had an article years back on a silver svt focus that had a terminator motor in it. And that definitely had the WOW factor. To me, for the $$ OP is talking here, just get the GT500. At the end of the build, you would probably be wishing you had just bought the GT500 from ford.

I also remember that article from MM&FF, but the company who did the swaps charged crazy $ for those cars!

JoeS197

Established Member

I am familiar with both the base Gt and Shelby GT500 because I've previously owned both and I know what your talking about when you mean the interior is much better! But the Ford GT motor is by far superior than the 5.4L out of a normal GT500. The Ford GT motor has a dry-sump aluminum block capable of around 2000hp, better heads, cams, supercharger, heat exchanger, internals, etc.. And as I said in the original post, you'll be using the same transmission.

Last edited:

JoeS197

Established Member
It would be a lot cheaper/cooler to me just putting a terminator motor in a new edge mustang. I agree with the above though for that much just buy a shelby because once your done with that build it will be almost impossible to sell without a huge loss, imo.

I wouldn't build it to sell it, I'd build it to stay. But putting a normal terminator engine into a new edge seems even more pointless because you could just buy a terminator which has the exact same engine, where the Ford GT engine is much greater than the average GT500 engine. Plus you'd also lose a big amount if money if you wanted to sell that because new edge cars (not including the terminator/roush/saleen) are worth pretty much nothing. As well as the terminator motor makes 390hp vs the Ford GT's est. 620hp.

JoeS197

Established Member

I doubt the engine would even fit in those cars because you already have to move a bunch of things to get it to fit in a s197. Plus a mustang looks so much better than a fusion or Taurus. Even though they would be even more of a sleeper, no ones going to expect you have 550hp to the wheels in your "v6" mustang

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
are you road racing the car?

if not the dry sump system makes the added costs in a GT Motor pointless IMO.

you could have a better motor built with a 11+ alum 5.4 or 5.8L block with better internals and better cams built for less and make as much or more power, upside would be less cost IMO.

Also FWIW -the FGTs were rated anywhere near 620 hp - 550 from the factory

Used 2006 Ford GT Performance Specs - 2006 Ford GT Performance Specifications - Motor Trend Magazine

now could they be pullied and tuned to make more, well of course, just like a GT500 5.4/5.8L motor can be.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I doubt the engine would even fit in those cars because you already have to move a bunch of things to get it to fit in a s197. Plus a mustang looks so much better than a fusion or Taurus. Even though they would be even more of a sleeper, no ones going to expect you have 550hp to the wheels in your "v6" mustang

I would say strip everything GT500 off of the Shelby and replace the removed exterior identifiers with what would be V6, if you are going that sleeper direction, no stripes, no spoiler (or one common to the V6), lower the 5.4, flat hood, do what ever had to be done to get the non-GT500 fascia in place, then you would have a GT500 sleeper and it would probably cost a lot less? You could probably even buy a complete V6 Mustang for the parts needed and recoup other $$$ from the V6 parts you don't need? and if you choose, sell the higher $$$ GT500 parts that you remove also?

You could even move the plain jane interior over from the V6.........wouldn't that throw people off?? :thumbsup:

...........and in the meantime "everything" that is available for the GT500 performance could be secretly added under the flat V6 hood. :thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

JoeS197

Established Member
are you road racing the car?

if not the dry sump system makes the added costs in a GT Motor pointless IMO.

you could have a better motor built with a 11+ alum 5.4 or 5.8L block with better internals and better cams built for less and make as much or more power, upside would be less cost IMO.

Also FWIW -the FGTs were rated anywhere near 620 hp - 550 from the factory

Used 2006 Ford GT Performance Specs - 2006 Ford GT Performance Specifications - Motor Trend Magazine

now could they be pullied and tuned to make more, well of course, just like a GT500 5.4/5.8L motor can be.

I've been reading that they dyno'd around 550 and the numbers ford gave where underrated just like the cobra was?

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
25 grand for a used engine seems crazy IMO, just have a monster engine built that will fit the V6 without the huge modifications that you would need with the GT engine. You could probably do a twin turbo 5.4 for half of that 25 grand and blow the doors off most gt500's and Ford GT's. I understand your want for something different but it just seems too expensive for what it would be in the end which is a V6 mustang with an engine swap. Now if your rich and bored than go for it lol

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The only thing you'd be gaining with an FGT engine would be the aluminum block, and H-beam rods (and stock for stock, a better blower).

You could build a badass GT500 based aluminum engine for less than that price, and it would be far superior. I'm saying 1200hp worth. A giant blower of your choice, billet rods, custom cams, ported heads, and it would all bolt right in your S197 chassis (ask me how I know).

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
If you were dead set on building the FGT motor I believe Billet Pro Shop is building one as we speak. I could be wrong but I remember reading about somebody in here recently doing it. Might want to talk to them about challenges and tips. Good luck either way but I agree with everyone else in this one. I see where you're coming from on the cool factor but then again 1000hp+ under the hood and being able to plant it is just as cool, if not cooler, maybe even the coolest! Lol jk definitely post pics if you go the FGT route though!

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
I know the car you are speaking of. In-fact I see it on a regular basis considering Paul's HP is 15 min away from me and they are my tuner/builder. It is an amazing car.

However why not get a GT500 and throw the Ford GT supercar CAMS in it?

That is what Paul's wants to do with mine this winter.

Paul's GT500 has Supercar Cams in it with a 2.9 whipple etc... I think he runs high 8's low 9's....

Just glad to see another member know of PHP since I work with them so much!

JoeS197

Established Member
Wouldn't the 13, 14s 5.8 be a better motor then the FGT?

The 13/14 5.8L is a bored 5.4L with the cams, heat exchanger, and I believe a few other parts from the Ford GT engine but doesn't have some of the cool stuff like the dry sump oiling system, cobra R heads, better internals, etc. I'm not sure how the blowers compare though? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread