Has anyone thought about/attempted this?

JoeS197

Established Member
25 grand for a used engine seems crazy IMO, just have a monster engine built that will fit the V6 without the huge modifications that you would need with the GT engine. You could probably do a twin turbo 5.4 for half of that 25 grand and blow the doors off most gt500's and Ford GT's. I understand your want for something different but it just seems too expensive for what it would be in the end which is a V6 mustang with an engine swap. Now if your rich and bored than go for it lol

Haha sadly I'm not rich, but bored of my 300hp 3v swapped, 226,000 mile foxbody and am looking for a new project soon! :banana: what you said, as well as many others, is true. Building the motor would be a lot cheaper and would be more powerful! I think if I go this route I will probably build the motor instead of purchasing the engine, it looks so damn sweet though.. :coolman:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The 13/14 5.8L is a bored 5.4L with the cams, heat exchanger, and I believe a few other parts from the Ford GT engine but doesn't have some of the cool stuff like the dry sump oiling system, cobra R heads, better internals, etc. I'm not sure how the blowers compare though? :shrug:

The Ford GT doesn't have Cobra R heads, it has Ford GT heads, which are the same/similar as what the GT500's have. "FORD GT" is cast right into the head. They may have been based off the Cobra R, but they were new for the FGT.

Dry sump oiling isn't necessary, and better internals, which are just rods and bearings (compared with a GT500), can be had for pretty cheap.

I also agree that building a motor based off the '13/14 GT500 would be a LOT better for what you're doing.

This is a head from my GT500 motor:

EC7D2FF5-82F7-4635-B1FB-D0DBE361E41E_zps8dcylwef.jpg

Last edited:

JoeS197

Established Member
The Ford GT doesn't have Cobra R heads, it has Ford GT heads, which are the same/similar as what the GT500's have. "GT" is cast right into the head. They may have been based off the Cobra R, but they were new for the FGT.

Dry sump oiling isn't necessary, and better internals, which are just rods and bearings (compared with a GT500), can be had for pretty cheap.

I also agree that building a motor based off the '13/14 GT500 would be a LOT better for what you're doing.

This is a head from my GT500 motor:

EC7D2FF5-82F7-4635-B1FB-D0DBE361E41E_zps8dcylwef.jpg

I'm more of a road race guy so the dry sump oiling would be an advantage for track days. But from what I know the Ford GT heads should be almost the exact same as cobra R heads

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm more of a road race guy so the dry sump oiling would be an advantage for track days. But from what I know the Ford GT heads should be almost the exact same as cobra R heads

Almost the exact same is not the same. But, based on that, then the GT500 heads should be almost the exact same as the Cobra R heads as well, so it's sort of a moot point to try to pick one over the other.

Something of note, See in the pic above how the bolt holes for the gasket don't line up? The Cobra R heads have exhaust flanges just like the gasket in that pic, which are the same for all "C" heads (99-04 cobras). The FGT, and the GT500 have a wider exhaust bolt pattern than the Cobra R/Cobra heads. That's one of the differences between the Cobra R heads and the "almost exact same" FGT/GT500 heads.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Something of note, See in the pic above how the bolt holes for the gasket don't line up? The Cobra R heads have exhaust flanges just like the gasket in that pic, which are the same for all "C" heads (99-04 cobras). The FGT, and the GT500 have a wider exhaust bolt pattern than the Cobra R/Cobra heads. That's one of the differences between the Cobra R heads and the "almost exact same" FGT/GT500 heads.

^^^Thanks for that little information bite.......

Being a former 2000 Cobra R owner, I still try to keep up with most things "R". :thumbsup:

R

Users who are viewing this thread