Has anyone used Mobile 1 0w20

Calimon

Established Member
I went to pick up some oil for the oil change and I saw this oil and it said it was for Fords that required the 20/5 oil. I put 5w30 in it the first time but never saw 0w20 before. Did Mobile just start making this stuff? Has anyone used this yet?

Thnx in advance.

Last edited:

svtxchinoy

Established Member
I just put it in mine recently. I'm not sure if its just me, but I could sware the car is ticking louder than before. Although, it revs a lot happier now. I'm going to try mobil1 5w30 next, see if theres any difference.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
0W20 is too thin unless you run the car in sub-zero temperatures. As discussed in previous posts, the 5W20 is only for fuel economy reasons, it is in no way a benefit to your engine. If you run the car in the winter or summer, 5W30 is perfect. For those in hot climates, 10W30. The clearances and such for oil have not changed in the past Cobra's engine specs, and they all recommended a 5W30 oil.

Our engines produce heat, lots of it. The 5W20 does not offer much protection when the engine is running hard, especially in the summer or for racing conditions.

From all the talk, I have concluded the following:

Summer oil I am using: Redline 10W30 (after break in)

Break in: Ford's 5W20 (synthetic blend)

Winter/storage: 5W30, or for those storing the car like me, 5W20 is fine.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I should also mention that after 3000+ miles, it's a good idea to switch to a full synthetic oil, I wouldn't use regular oil in these engines.

The best over the counter oil seems to be Mobil One.

The best premium oils are Amsoil, Redline, and a lot of people say Royal Purple (although RP is not a full synthetic oil, it is motor oil with synerlec additive).

FKing1

Established Member
Curious why Royal Purple bottles say Synthetic Oil on the front and on the back in fine print, synerlec added motor oil?? Their web site says Royal Purple is a synthetic base with synthetic additives, seems like that is full synthetic.
Fred K.

Last edited:

03Cobvertible

Established Member
I'm wondering about this also.

I'm going to run mobil 1 at 5,000 - but I'm torn between 0w20 and 5w30. It's kinda hard to ignore the sticker on the 0w20 bottle that specifically states that it's intended for Fords that call for 5w20. On the other hand I can also buy into the argument that the 5w30 is better due to the heat issue.

Anyone have additional opinions on this?

Fuerza

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Cobvertible
I'm wondering about this also.

I'm going to run mobil 1 at 5,000 - but I'm torn between 0w20 and 5w30. It's kinda hard to ignore the sticker on the 0w20 bottle that specifically states that it's intended for Fords that call for 5w20. On the other hand I can also buy into the argument that the 5w30 is better due to the heat issue.

Anyone have additional opinions on this?

Wondering this my self.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yep i just used it on my first change at 1500

i think it is new from mobil 1, i had never seen it b4 either

but i will be going to the 10w-30 soon after

because i live where it doesnt freeze and i think that the only reason they go with such thin oil nowadays is for the fuel economy

sjw985

Established Member
On a budget I'd use Mobil1 5W30 or Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 for premium protection.

Lotsa threads on this topic - probably one of the most contested.

I do know that an oil analysis I had done after 3000 hard miles using the Amsoil showed below average wear metals. Last week I issued a call for others to have their oil analyzed too so we can get some comparative numbers.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121155

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think it's nuts to even consider a 0 weight oil, unless you're in the arctic in the winter.

Royal Purple apparently uses a base stock that is not truly synthetic, and is thus different than the other totally synthetic oils such as Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, etc. I don't know if this necessarily means it isn't as good.

wm_sorg

Established Member
I use 0/20 full synthetic in an 03 explorer 4.6. It made a big difference in quieting the faint piston slap I was getting during warm-up. I am not sure if I would run it in a cobra.

BenD

Established Member
I use Mobil 1 0-20

I started using it at the 3000 mile point. I now have 11,700 miles on the car. I primarily Road Race, little or no street driving. I think the oil is optimum for this car and Mobil designed it specifically to include Fords Modular Motors.

My theory has always been use as light of oil as you can get away with. Besides these piston tolerences are tight in this car .

Fuerza

Established Member
Re: I use Mobil 1 0-20

Originally posted by BenD
I started using it at the 3000 mile point. I now have 11,700 miles on the car. I primarily Road Race, little or no street driving. I think the oil is optimum for this car and Mobil designed it specifically to include Fords Modular Motors.

My theory has always been use as light of oil as you can get away with. Besides these piston tolerences are tight in this car .

I agree with BenD, I think I'm going to give 0w20 weight an try.

W30bob

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Oil is a touchy subject. Just FYI, but the term "synthetic" does not have anything to do with whether the oil is petroleum based or not. "Synthetic" defines a level of purity in the base stock of the oil, it does not mean the oil is not petroleum based. There do exist some synthetic oils that are petroleum based, they are simply super-refined to meet the "synthetic" purity spec. We've had a problem finding an oil in the military that flows at low temps, yet offers appropriate protection and lubrication at high temps. Mobil 0w-20 performed fairly well to -6F, but did not offer adequate protection of engine parts at high engine temps. There is a lot of hype out there, and you won't find an oil manufacturer that will tell you his oil won't perform. But in reality, there really is no perfect oil that works at both very cold and very hot conditions. So use common sense in picking an oil for your application. Just FYI.

bob

NCStanger

Established Member
I just switched to it. Had used the 5w-20 Motorcraft they recommend for first 25K, then switched over to Mobil 1 5w-30 for next 2 changes. Last change I put in the 0W - 20 by Mobil 1 for same reason mentioned that it's recommended to Ford 5w-20 applications. Ford wants us to have 20W oil in the cobra so I will accomodate them and do that by putting in this new mobil oil for the life of my cobra. Doesn't matter from people I have spoken with that it doesn't get that cold in NC, as there would be no difference in running the Ford 5W-20 and the Mobil 1 0W-20. It's the 20 weight that is recommended for our cars, so I'm gonna go with it religiously. I can tell a big difference as I could when I was using the Ford 20 weight oil with the 30 weight from Mobil. 30 weight is easy to see is soooo much thicker. Sorry, but in my old GT's (3 of them), my manual recommended 30 weight and I used that. My manual now recommends 20 weight for this motor so I'm gonna give it the best 20 weight I can buy on the market and afford and that's Mobil 1 0W-20. To each his or her own though. One last thing, maybe wrong, but I feel the car runs a little smoother with this new 20 weight I've just started using. Smoother than the Ford stuff, and much smoother than the 30 weight I tried for about 6K miles.

sjw985

Established Member
Search on username Cobra03... many useful oil posts.

There is NO proven rationale for Ford's swith to 5W20 other than to improve their fuel economy numbers under CAFE. The "tighter tolerances" line is bunk.

The Mustang and Focus - all engines - all used 5W30 in 2000 and 5W20 in 2001.

Can anyone please tell me what great advances Ford made were made in the 4.6 L SOHC, 3.8 L V6, 2.0 L SFI, and 2.0 L DOHC engines between 2000 and 2001 that were so significant as to require a different weight oil? How about between the 1999 and 2001 DOHC 4.6?

In 2000 my Focus ZX3 required 5W-30 per the manual. Brand new car, two old and well tested engines (ZETEC & SFI).

In 2001... shock and horror, Ford improved their manufacturing processes on both engines SO much that my Zetec as well as the trusted old SFI ALSO both need 5W20 now.

See what I'm getting at?

Go to Ford's site and look at the manuals. See for yourself.

Maybe someone can repost the federal guidelines for tracking CAFE - the ones that talk about what a car company needs to do to be able to report a number based on a lighter weight oil. Very enlightening.

Now I will say this - If you use 5W20 because you want 100% guarantee that Ford will not void your warranty, by all means continue to do so. But if you use it because "the engine requires it", I've got a bridge in New York I'd like to show you. Yeah you'll get warranty service until 3 years or 36,000 miles (assuming you don't modify the car in any way - probably that includes bling mods like fuzzy dice), but unless you have an extended warranty you may end up paying for a rebuild at somewhere well south of 100K.

Sorry.. I know this is an old and disputed topic, but it seems to keep coming up every few weeks!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Any 20 oils just aren't enough heat protection.

If you want to run a 0W, then run the new Mobil One Racing 0W30 oil ($7.99 a quart!).

5W20 oil is probably fine if you don't run the car hard or break the speed limit or accelerate fast. But 5W20 oil is for people that will drive this car like a normal car, not a racecar.

I don't care WHAT the labels say... this 0W20 is for Ford 5W20 apps .... Ford's 5W20 recommendation is for FUEL ECONOMY REASONS ONLY. It is in no way to protect the life of your engine. Ford has done research and found that 5W20 will last the 36,000 mile warranty period. After that ... good luck. They expect 03 Cobra owners to mod the car anyway, so they can void the warranty prior .. but they figure if you don't drive the Cobra the way it was meant to be driven (leave it stock, drive like you're in a Corolla) then 5W20 will pass.

Look at all the voided warranties already and engines failures. BE smart, I use Redline 10W30 in summer, peace of mind and the oil can stand up to the heat, and it flows well since it's a high quality synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread