Has anyone used Mobile 1 0w20

03Cobvertible

Established Member
ChicagoMike,

No flame intended but what facts do you have to back up your conspiracy theorys?

I still can't see the engineers at Mobil putting out a new oil specifically designated for out application, that would fail at high temps. Isn't synthetic supposed to be superior against thermal breakdown? Dontcha think they would've tested it under some pretty extreme conditions?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I have a couple of oil fact books at home. Ford gets a break from the government for using 5W20. Why don't they use 5W20 oils in Hondas outside of North America? Europe still uses 5W30 in their NEW Hondas. .. but here it's 5W20 ... hmmm!

If you think a 20 viscosity oil is good enough to run around a racetrack in a Cobra, you're wrong. Ask Amazon Racing, Paul's High Performance, any place ... they recommend nothing less than a 30 viscosity.

However, 5W20 oil is fine for regular driving. It's not for the people who want to use the car as it was intended, it's a daily driver oil, not for use in performance conditions. For example, Ford says we can't race our cars. If we race our cars, we void the warranty. We install a diff cooler, warranty is automatically voided as well (says so in the owners manual of the Cobra supplement guide). Any racing at a track for competition, autocross, drag .... warranty is voided.

especially if you are going to run more boost or any mods, 5W30 no less .... I use 10W30 per PHP's recommendation for summer time abuse :)

Using 5W20 oil isn't going to break your car instantly .. it's going going to shorten the life of your motor, because in high temp conditions, the 20 viscosity breaks down, I don't care how synthetic it is, 20 viscosity is 20 viscosity.

Originally posted by 03Cobvertible
ChicagoMike,

No flame intended but what facts do you have to back up your conspiracy theorys?

I still can't see the engineers at Mobil putting out a new oil specifically designated for out application, that would fail at high temps. Isn't synthetic supposed to be superior against thermal breakdown? Dontcha think they would've tested it under some pretty extreme conditions?

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
sjw985 makes some good points -

plus remember the 00r used 15W-50 M1 from the factory - and that was a mod motor

NCStanger

Established Member
Maybe I'll find out a bit more about this heat breakdown of 20 weight oil in our very EXPENSIVE engines. I don't race, but hell I do get on it from time to time. It's a cobra and I'm not gonna baby the thing. And it does get very hot in NC during the summer months and I've even felt my feet get warm in the floorboard. If I get enough evidence from those who are experienced, then I'll probably switch back to 30 weigh Mobil 1. If Ford was doing this to cause neglect to the life of this engine in order to accomodate the gov't. for fuel efficiency, SHAME ON THEM! If that can be proven to me, I'll never buy another Ford for the rest of my life. Can you tell from the guage if you run 30 weight instead of 20 weight, will it run a little lower?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The oil pressure guage has nothing to do what kind of oil goes in, it doesn't know the difference.

Originally posted by NCStanger
Maybe I'll find out a bit more about this heat breakdown of 20 weight oil in our very EXPENSIVE engines. I don't race, but hell I do get on it from time to time. It's a cobra and I'm not gonna baby the thing. And it does get very hot in NC during the summer months and I've even felt my feet get warm in the floorboard. If I get enough evidence from those who are experienced, then I'll probably switch back to 30 weigh Mobil 1. If Ford was doing this to cause neglect to the life of this engine in order to accomodate the gov't. for fuel efficiency, SHAME ON THEM! If that can be proven to me, I'll never buy another Ford for the rest of my life. Can you tell from the guage if you run 30 weight instead of 20 weight, will it run a little lower?

03Cobvertible

Established Member
OK now we're talking. Thanks for the info on the recomendations from Amazon and PHP. I think that says allot.

I looked on the mobil web site and compared the stats on 0w20 vs 5w30. Here's the differences:

Specifications & Approvals:
0w20: ACEA A1,B1; API SL,SJ,EC,CF; ISLAC GF3
5w30: ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5; API SL,SJ,EC,CF; ISLAC GF3
(Anyone know what these mean??!!)

Typical Properties Mobil 1 0W-20

SAE Grade 0W-20
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 43
cSt @ 100º C 8.4
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 165
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.28
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150º C ASTM D 4683 2.61
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -57
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 232
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.855

Typical Properties Mobil 1 5W-30

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 56
cSt @ 100º C 10
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 167
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.08
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 224
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052

Not sure what the flash point is, but sounds like it would have to do with performance under high temp. The 0w20 is not that much different than the 5w30...

Is there anything in these specs we should be particularly concerned about??

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
FYI here's the new Mobil 1 0W30 RACING oil specs :)

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30

SAE Grade 0W-30SAE Grade 0W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 56
cSt @ 100ºC 10.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 175
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 2.99
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 234
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.851

classof69

Established Member
The first oil change on my 04 Cobra was at 2500 miles using Mobil 1 0w-20. I now have close to 6k miles with no problems noted...the car sees high speeds and heavy revs every day. It uses no oil and runs cool. (But my, does it hog gas.)

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
I have 5,400 miles on mine and have done 2 oil changes. Both were done with the Motorcraft 5w20 Blend recommended by Ford.
I have a some 0w20 Mobil 1 in the garage that I am going to use next change just because I bought it and don't want to waste it, but after reading these posts I think I will go with the 5w30 after that.:burnout:

JS 76248

I run M1 0W-20 and WaterWetter-seems like the best combination for heat and smoothness issues-got rid of the tick and runs between 10 and 15 degrees cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread