Has your 32v blown up?

Is your 99/01 Cobra still on its factory motor?

• Still factory motor

Votes: 223 76.1%
  • On its 2nd 32v

Votes: 46 15.7%
  • Blown up more then once

Votes: 24 8.2%

• Total voters

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
LMAO all these young 1st motors.... PEOPLE DRIVE YOUR CARS!! jk Do what ya want...
3rd motor....
Stocker Lasted 102,323 miles (Tossed a spark plug like it was nothing)
2nd motor 8 miles yea you read right 8 miles, Lawsuit is still on going..
3rd motor is 326 miles old, built right & Ready to run (Dyno this friday)

So this is what i got to say....Drive it right and she will last for a Long Time!!

Electric994V

Established Member
99Cobra#2468 said:
44,000 on the clock, stock motor, and have no plans of upgrading / destroying the internals based on current and planned setups (max 125 wet shot N2O that is). Now, if I ever go forced induction, then will spend the $$$ and have it done right. I have no sympathy when people tell me they are on their 2nd or 3rd motor, to me that is foolish! Don't get me wrong, shit happens even with good internals, but more often than not, people blowing motors are running too much power for their stock internals, and then they think its cool to have to replace the motor. Respect your car, treat it right, and it will treat you right as well. Want to run 600 horsepower, then treat the block and internals to the support systems for 600 horsepower. Otherwise, you're just another dumbass who spent $3,000 plus to repair the motor to its stock form when you could have spent those dollars to upgrade the motor for higher performance. Sorry for my little rant!!

Dude, check my sig... very light mods, so I'm not hearing that no sympathy mess. I drive the shit out of my car yes, and this may be the result... I have no problems with that. If I was running the 100 sho (N20) that I have in my closet, then I might be a little more humble... This has afforded me the opportunity to build an 03 killer... :rockon: Since I'm paying for it, some one else will pay for it when I get back on the street... ;-) preferably an 03-04 Cobra since we 99-01 guys get "no respect"... :beer:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Ahem . . .

http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index.php?showtopic=19070&b=1&st=&p=&#entry

I bought mine w/ about 13k on the clock. It was dealer trade in and it was bone stock when I took it home. I drove it as mostly a weekend car and on the occasional road trip. At the time this happened I only had a cat-back and a Densecharger CAI as mods.

So I drove on a 1500 mi road trip w/ no problems or noises at all but the very next weekend, when I was attempting to change the plugs it blew up in my driveway! Turns out the #6 cylinder had broken in three places and shot through the inside part of the cylinder wall ( intake manifold side ). I didn't even know what had happened, I went to start it sitting in the drive way and it made a bang and a clunk and locked up! I messed w/ it for three more days in the driveway for three more days before having it towed to a local dealership ( not the one where I bought the car ).

The dealership couldn't figure out what had happened either but that didn't stop the service manager from accusing me of having everything from two power adders to severely over reving the engine. But since they could find no evidence of that ( because there was none ) they had to replace the engine ( reman ) under 3/36 warranty. This is the only time my car was ever in for warranty work! I don't take my car to that dealership anymore and I've vowed to kick that service manager in the crotch if I ever see him in public anywhere!

So far I haven't had any problems out of this engine and I've got more mods now . . . but every now and then I think about how weak the internals on these engines must be!

xspeed02

Established Member
2nd owner here, I assume it's the original motor. Bought the car with 23k miles on it 2 years ago, just passed 34k...

PSNOUS

Established Member
Motor was warrantied at 10,000, oil check valve in valvoline oil filter was stuck and starved my motor of oil. Currently blew a head gasket but after teardown we seen that one of the dowel pins that hold the main timing chain guides in place broke off in block and caused alot of slop in the chain and probably messed up the timing a lil bit and caused a hot condition and eventually blew the gasket. We also seen that they put the windage tray and pick up tube wrong and my pick up tube was literally resting on the bottom of the oil pan. There was a nice clean impression on the pan where it was sitting, so who knows what the oil delivery was like in the motor. Oh well its getting forged internals and other goodies now.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Stock 23K...runs strong. Trans rebuilt under warranty at about 15K. Keep hearing about spun bearings in the 99/01's. Would be interesting to know whether this is primarily an issue with the Teksid block, WAP block or both...and if it is the main reason why stock motors go south. My guess is it's the WAP block...which I have of course. Would be nice to see at least 60 to 80K out of the stocker, but I doubt it. Too bad Ford/SVT didn't do a better job on this aluminum block. Much prefer aluminum over iron. Maybe the new Hurricane block will be better. VT Engines here I come.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
LMAO all these young 1st motors.... PEOPLE DRIVE YOUR CARS!! jk Do what ya want...
So this is what i got to say....Drive it right and she will last for a Long Time!!

Seriously.

86K original motor no noiser than my buddies 3000 mile Mach 1.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
mine blew around 56K but I drove the $hit outta it like I was Mario Andretti LOL. seems like 50-60k = magic number for us lead footers

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I bought a white 99 with 34K miles and at 39K it blew the number 4 spark plug out of the head, I used a Timesert and never even bothered to check the compression. It ran 7.9's on motor so I think it was still healthy. I sold it to buy the 96 I've got because it already had a built shortblock and T56 and I practically stole it.

Well I missed the 99 so about 6 months ago I bought a red 99 with 110K and a bottom end knock. I replaced the 99 motor with an 04 Aviator motor with 1,000 miles that I paid $1900 for. (I swapped over all the parts from the 99 motor that I needed to make it work(intake, oil pan, timing cover, etc.). I sold the blown up 99 longblock for $1,500 so basically I spend about $500 out of pocket for a fresh motor after purchasing a GT 6-bolt flywheel. This Aviator motor is WAY stronger than the stock motor in my old white 99 I had before.

SpittinVenom

Established Member
My 99 has 62k on it, purr's like a kitten, even given her the juice for a month.

My old 98 cobra had 144k miles on it (still the original clutch too) and the guy I sold it to starved the motor for oil (used oil, he didnt check it) and it spun a rod bearing at 148k.

Users who are viewing this thread