Hate having to ask for help...

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Hey all, I know I'm not an established member. But I'm not asking for me, it's for my 2 year old son. First a little bit of background: I was born with sensorneural hearing loss in both ears. I have to wear hearing aids in both ears & have since I was 3 years old (now 29). On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being normal hearing, I am around a 2, maybe 3. I have never known life without my hearing aids, & there is no way I could function without them.

When my son was born in 2011, his hearing was the least of my worries at the time, he was born with some kind of blood infection, had low blood platelet count, & his little 4 lb body could not keep his temperature up. The doctors gave us a 20% chance of taking him home. We spent a week at the hospital, going to the NICU every 3-4 hours to feed him & change him. The doctors never knew what it was, but he did improve & we were able to take him home.

Fast forward 2 years. Hundreds of hours of overtime worked, countless medical bills paid off, new house, & finally, a new little girl. But noticed things with my son. Some times it seemed like he wasn't catching what was going on. If we was outside, it was very hard to get his attention. The fear of passing on something like hearing loss to my son started creeping up. We took him to be tested. Turns out, he is just like his daddy. We thought, "this is ok, we will be able to handle this."

Found out a few days ago that my insurance will not cover anything on the hearing aids. Not even a hearing test. With all of the medical bills I have paid so far, a new house, & more medical from the new little girl, I am completely tapped out.

And here we are. I am extremely uncomfortable asking for help, but I don't know what else to do. Growing up, my family was low enough income to qualify for financial assistance, but now, I make too much to get anything.

My wife set up this fundraising thing:
http://www.gofundme.com/9hr520

I know our goal is low compared to the costs of some of the other medical things that come up in life, but all we are asking for is the cost of the aids themselves. We are part of the way there already, not much more to go!

To any that took the time to read, thanks. To any that donate, thank you very much.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Added what I could. I hope things turn around for you and your son. Good luck.

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Shared on Facebook. Will be donating tomorrow on Payday :)

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I feel your pain, I just had to cough up $7000 for my new hearing aids. And 4 years prior I spent $6000.....all out of pocket.
No medical insurance company will cover hearing aids. Its awful, and I know they are trying to pass bills to alleviate this.
Different states however have different programs,so you may want to recheck that.
When I lived in South Carolina, the state paid for my hearing aids.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
I feel your pain, I just had to cough up $7000 for my new hearing aids. And 4 years prior I spent $6000.....all out of pocket.
No medical insurance company will cover hearing aids. Its awful, and I know they are trying to pass bills to alleviate this.
Different states however have different programs,so you may want to recheck that.

I wish they would account for your bills such as utilities & house payments. I know for now I am literally paycheck to paycheck. I am in Alabama, & like I said earlier, when I was a kid, we were considered low income, so we got the help we needed. But now, being successful comes with having some hefty bills.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

I wish they would account for your bills such as utilities & house payments. I know for now I am literally paycheck to paycheck. I am in Alabama, & like I said earlier, when I was a kid, we were considered low income, so we got the help we needed. But now, being successful comes with having some hefty bills.

From one near deaf brother to another, hi!

I got HA's when I was 4 and I'm now 30. Bought a set last year for $4000 because that's all I could afford and I'm already looking to replace them with another pair that's going to run me $7000, so I know your pain. Just an FYI, you can claim your HA's as a medical expense when you do your taxes, or at least you should be able to.

For your son, how severe is his loss and what does he need?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
What hearing aids are you looking at? Canal? BTE?
What brands?

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
From one near deaf brother to another, hi!

I got HA's when I was 4 and I'm now 30. Bought a set last year for $4000 because that's all I could afford and I'm already looking to replace them with another pair that's going to run me $7000, so I know your pain. Just an FYI, you can claim your HA's as a medical expense when you do your taxes, or at least you should be able to.

For your son, how severe is his loss and what does he need?

It's very hard to tell right now (ever try to give a kid going through the terrible two's a hearing test?), but we know for a fact his left is much worse than the right.

It's very hard to explain, I mean, the kid has no idea he's missing out on so much. It's like trying to explain the color red to a blind guy that has never ever seen a bit of light in his life. The hearing aids we are getting for him are through the speech & hearing center at the University of Alabama. They work mostly with kids & is where I got mine as I was growing up

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
What hearing aids are you looking at? Canal? BTE?
What brands?

They are going to be BTE, but not sure of the brand name. Cost of the pair is $2750, which isn't bad compared to some of the numbers above. But they are very basic hearing aids, & the ear molds & tests will be extra costs. Tests right now are running about $100 a session & the ear molds are $98 a set last time I got mine replaced.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Obligatory cute kid pic of my kids

uploadfromtaptalk1401822963707.jpg

o2gt

Established Member
So sorry to hear about your problems. I had no idea that hearing aids cost that much. I hope they have become more effective. My grandfather lost much of his hearing in WWII. I can remember how hard it was to communicate with him at times. Currently my mom is going mute it's so sad to see the decline. At least she has had a good life. I can't imagine how I would feel if it was my child who had not had that long life and is missing out on the world. I hope things work out for your little boy. You will be a great help to him as you have gone threw it and can help him until he gets the help. Good luck I will try and send some money.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
They are going to be BTE, but not sure of the brand name. Cost of the pair is $2750, which isn't bad compared to some of the numbers above. But they are very basic hearing aids, & the ear molds & tests will be extra costs. Tests right now are running about $100 a session & the ear molds are $98 a set last time I got mine replaced.

What pair are you planning to get? Two years ago my grandfather passed away and my grandmother gave me his HA's since she knew I needed a new set. Only issue is they aren't strong enough for me. They are Phonak Cassia microM hearing aids and were only used for about 6 months. If they are comparable to what you plan to get and your audiologist will tune HA's not bought from them, I'd sell them to you far cheaper than what you are planning to buy.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
What pair are you planning to get? Two years ago my grandfather passed away and my grandmother gave me his HA's since she knew I needed a new set. Only issue is they aren't strong enough for me. They are Phonak Cassia microM hearing aids and were only used for about 6 months. If they are comparable to what you plan to get and your audiologist will tune HA's not bought from them, I'd sell them to you far cheaper than what you are planning to buy.

I will keep you in mind, I don't think the audiologist will tune out-of-house HA's.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Great looking kids! I made a small donation, I hope you reach your goal!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread