Hau Thai Tang I know you are there.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
R1Lello said:
You guys can 't be serious!! Everybody feared fuel injection on the Mustang in 1985 when they announce the 1986 was coming fuelly............c'mon, even the new 05 with a new processor has been cracked already even with drive by wire technology. I'm not worried........popular cars like the mustang will get modded, plain and simple

I never said you couldn't mod it! I SAID! It's not going to be as easy as the 03/04's. I've already got s few Ideas how to get around a few of the clearance issues.

Tim

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
FiaCobra said:
Well, seems we speak a different language. Your "rollbar" looks more like a "cage" to me and i definately wouldn't want that in the Shelby. I was thinking more like this:

1967 Roll bar: It's very hard to see but you can see where the belts hang from
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/Red68GT500KR-7.jpg
http://www.shelbymustang.com/cars/1968_shelby_mustangs/1968_white_gt350_fastback/interior_09.JPG
....now how is that a pain in the arse getting into the backseat? And it's high enough where you're not gonna hit your head in an accident if you're strapped in.

And here's the "interoir option" list for the '67 Shelby:
Interior Add-Ons: Amp and oil gauge under dash, Nardi steering wheel, rollbar with inertia-reel harness

Now, you see how we got confused? I'm thinking more in line of the "roll bar" of the '67/'68 Shelby's.

And, for the "interior insert colors", there's nothing to talk about. Apparently we have different tastes so thats just dandy.

Moving on to the "gauge pod", you still think this looks like rice?
http://www.ritzsite.net/Shelby-Mustang/1965_Ford_Shelby_Mustang_GT-350_r3q.JPG
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/000369-200412-000024_3big.jpg

Sorry but it's very hard to see the gauge pod centered on the dash.

To me, all that stuff is vintage Shelby and nothing else. Oh yeah, don't forget to give me the Shelby signature on the passenger side dash.

About the rollbar:
It makes sense that it was an option on the car.. But Like I said, it seems the rollbars were not on "every Shelby" like the other poster stated.

The bar in my car IS considered only a "roll bar"..
It is NOT a cage. Im going by accepted NHRA terminology, not my own terminolgy.
Like I said, its when you go to 10 or 12(I think) points, that is considered a "cage"..
Single hoop bars, dont do much for rollover protection, since they fold over very easily... These are considered light bars..(Or a Single Loop)

A "cage" is supposed to protect you in many kinds of catastrophic accidents.. My bar does not do that.. But it is difficult to fold over during a rollover and protects you well if your cars flips end over end or side to side.... Its meant to protect you in 10 to 11secnd cars.. When you go into the 9's, you need a "cage"..

When someone says "roll bar" to an informed racer, he is immediately going to think of the kind of bar that is in my car.. So you have to watch your terminology..

The photochops of the Blue car you posted are awesome.. Definately digging those..
And the interior shots are not bad.. I think you convinced me on the colored inserts.. They should at least be an option..Nice pics! Thanks for those..

I still dont want any extra gauge pods.. Our opinions differ there, thats all.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Has this tread gotten off course or what? Screw the rollbar, focus on power to weight and concept differences to current gilmpses of the car. If HTT was reading this thread I'm sure he would shut off his machine after reading the last 10 posts.

FiaCobra

Established Member
PowerWheels said:
Has this tread gotten off course or what? Screw the rollbar, focus on power to weight and concept differences to current gilmpses of the car. If HTT was reading this thread I'm sure he would shut off his machine after reading the last 10 posts.

Yeah, and you just added to the derailment !!

As for the rollbar debate, it pretained to this thread so i see no problem there. I'm from the "old school" and didn't know a single hoop bar was called a "light bar" now-a-days. Talk to me about a "light bar" and i'm thinking a light bar on a pick-up where you'd mount spot lights for off roading. Thanks to Purvis for clearing that up for me.

.......This thread is about suggestions, isn't it?

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Purvis said:
The photochops of the Blue car you posted are awesome.. Definately digging those..
And the interior shots are not bad.. I think you convinced me on the colored inserts.. They should at least be an option..Nice pics! Thanks for those..

I've been wanting BLUE inserts like that since I heard about the IUP, they really need to offer colors other than just red! Thanks for the pics!

And thanks for clearing up the lightbar/rollbar/rollcage thing!

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Since we are on the topic of interiors, what things do you all expect for this to be a step above a GT? What will you look for as far as styling goes? I can say that I would like to have some comfortable yet supportive buckets. I love the seats that are in the EVO and hell even in the SRT-4s because they are alot like a racing bucket. Understanding that seats like that won't be a likely option I would still like to see some seats that cup the driver and keep him from being slung around the car under hard cornering or evasive(spirited driving) manuvers. Suede was a great touch in the Terminators, as was the deeper bucket.

Another area of styling that I have seen talked about is gauge pods and or clusters.

For me what makes a Shelby a Shelby is a brushed aluminum dash insert with a Shelby GT-500 Badge on the passenger side, Some specialized gage faces, maybe a set or factory accessorie gauges on the center console or on the dash. I would like to see some seats as described above and maybe some color options or styleing cues that really set it apart.

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
Whitten said:
HTT,

3. If you you are going to give us a motor with an Eaton I would assume that you will continue the build quality that came with the 03-04 year model power plants. I will not buy a car that is crippled from the factory by having lightning internals. Again, these have been rumors but I feel it very important to say: Manly= Good....Lightning= no sale.

Sincerely,

(Not the Atomic Wedgie guy...but I might be if things change more :D :beer: )

Michael Whitten

Guys lets hear your ideas ,

A Car that is crippled from the factory by having LIGHTNING internals ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
< HEY WTF IS THIS CHIT > ?
:eek: :nonono: :nono:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Black04Lightning said:
A Car that is crippled from the factory by having LIGHTNING internals ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
< HEY WTF IS THIS CHIT > ?
:eek: :nonono: :nono:

Here again it was specualtion or rumor until Ford lets us in as to what internals they are going to be doing but it had been said that Ford was going to use internals that weren't as expensive or as strong as what came in the Terminators in order to cut costs.

I think that they will use the same recipe that they used on the Terminators, because it would make no sense for them to skimp in the very department where they admit most of the money was going. In the event that someone got the idea of putting internals in the motor like the lightning(basicly stock F-150 parts) instead of some nice forged internals, then I would have to pass on this car.

I guess I love the fact that the stock 03-04 Cobras were stout from the factory. You can throw almost anthing at them in stock configuration and they just keep on going. I hope that they keep with this tradtion, since they are keeping with the use of the S/C

Last edited:

MORPHEUS

Burninating Competition
Established Member
Black04Lightning said:
So let me understand this , Your saying LIGHTNING engines are JUNK ?

Have you been living under a rock since 99? What everyone is trying to say is that the 03/04 Cobras got the better end of the deal on stock internals. It's fairly common knowledge that the rods on the Lightnings are pretty much junk. That is by far the weakest link, simply ask the masses of L owners that have grenaded their blocks in the quest for more power (myself having been one of them). Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't put the forged goodies in there considering the fact that the car is going to put down between 450-500hp. Although, that would make it another reason why this car wouldn't be as mod-friendly. I was all about this car when I saw the first official photos. I just hope they make things right.

On a side note:
I too miss the days of John Colletti. Hau, you have some big shoes to fill buddy. Please deliver a car with the level of quality and performance we all have come to expect from SVT over the years. Now get out there and do some burnouts with that bad boy.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Black04Lightning said:
So let me understand this , Your saying LIGHTNING engines are JUNK ?

I can see that you are irritated about something, maybe you think that I am trying to take a stab at the Lightning...well I am not. Don't try to make this any more than it is. The lightning had basicly stock F-150 internals period end of story. The Forged internals of the Cobra's are superior to that of the lightnings. Are the Lightnings junk, well that depends on what you are wanting to do with them. I for one love the truck but feel like it is crippled with poor choice of internals for a supercharged motor.

Look I am sorry if I stepped on your toes but your really got to chill. I'm not trying to bash anyone, infact the whole point of this thread is to make good suggestions with out it turning into complaint department.

Ok so give me some feed back on interior ideas folks I want to see if anyone else has some of the same ideas that I do. It appears that ole Shelb, really wants the red inserts in the seats so maybe some other color options or material choices are viable :thumbsup: .

03CobraBro

Established Member
Right off the bat I have to say ATLEAST the pistons had to be different. The Blown SOHC 5.4 has an 8.4:1 comp ratio and the plain jane F150 N/A 5.4 had a 9.0:1.

(unless of course that's what you meant by 'basically' in that the pistons were the only difference...)

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
03CobraBro said:
Right off the bat I have to say ATLEAST the pistons had to be different. The Blown SOHC 5.4 has an 8.4:1 comp ratio and the plain jane F150 N/A 5.4 had a 9.0:1.

(unless of course that's what you meant by 'basically' in that the pistons were the only difference...)

You got it man, that is exactly what I meant. I just didn't want to go into absolute specifics since we are talking about the Cobra...but you definately got what I was saying. Yeah the pistons were different but the rods and the crank were not, and that I think is the weakest part of the motor. I want to say that when I compared stock cams to the L's cams they were even the same, but it has been a long time since I had one apart.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
After some time to allow things to develop a bit and come to the surface I would like to say that I am happy with the way the car is heading.

Some recent info from JB revealed that Mahle will be picking up where Manley left off and I think that could be a vey good thing.

The word from JB is that the Cobra will be sporting Mahle Cold Cracked Billet Forged I-Beam rods, along with Mahle Pistons.

I did some looking on the net for info specificly about Mahles rods of this kind and couldn't come up with anything but in my experience with similar rods these will be more than enough to allow us to make at or above the numbers made on the terminators.

On a different note the once anguished over ground effects are back and now it appears that the hood is also under going more changes.
Picture_226.sized.jpg

Picture_240.sized.jpg

Honestly I have to say that I am satisfied with the hood right now, it is starting to grow more on me, and the re addition of the front and rear splitters was warmly welcomed for me.

HTT, keep up the good work. I was very down on this car right after mules appeared but I am starting to feel very optimistic.

The only thing left to be determined is exactly what is going on with the brakes on the car. If they are still the 4 pistons or not. If anyone knows more about this please clue us in as I am sure it is on most of our minds.

So now that some time has passed and we know a little more what does everyone think?

I think that they have made good on most if not all of the criteria that we oulined in the begining don't you?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread