have an O/R pipe and CEL on? READ THIS!!!!

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i have been testing this out for a few weeks now and i have found a way to keep the CEL off with no cats. it still shows up in the monitor status as ready and working properly and there is no need to do anything with the tune. i am running the tune from Kenne Bell that has the downstream's enabled and it works like a charm

this is what you need
IMAG0009.jpg

Vibrant Oxygen Sensor Defouler - Universal Exhaust Items

this is my test side sensor. YOU MUST INSTALL THESE WITH THE PIPE OFF!! i used 2 spark plug foulers that were drilled out to space it out enough for the testing.
IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

this is the stock sensor in the stock location i used to see when the CEL was going to pop on. i always got the 420 and 430 codes at the same time. i kept it stock to see if they would still throw a code at the same time for the testing.
IMAG0048.jpg

i have put over 500 miles on the car with this setup and it only throws the code for the stock sensor. the 90* fitting is showing ready and working fine and no code has been set. i will have the other 90* fitting installed this week and will keep this updated as it goes.

Last edited:

kona12

Established Member
congrats..These work great i been using these for a while on a few of my cars especially on my 370z. My friend also used it on his 540 bmw and it works fine Simple cel fix..

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Kinda looks rigged.

well, they arent meant for this purpose but they work. i will be removing the spark plug foulers when i drop the pipe to install the other side. call it rigged if you want to but now i dont have to swap mid pipes for inspection!!!

Last edited:

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
dropped the front of the pipe yesterday and got both sides installed like they should be.

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

LittleBean

Established Member
i like the idea but it isn't always so simple now

the computer has that cat-overtemp protection where fuel is used to cool them, it gets turned off if the O2 sensors are turned off in a tune.

how much fuel do you smell coming through the exhaust, is it something you can live with in a DD?
and even though it might be splitting hairs, is there a power difference by doing it this way instead of say, just turning the sensors off in the tune and not having extra fuel being dumped?

in any case, hats off to you

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Why not just run cats ? How much HP do you really think they are costing you ?

not worried about power. i dont want to replace them every year when they are blown out. the newer cats dont hold up well with boost over time from what i have seen

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i like the idea but it isn't always so simple now

the computer has that cat-overtemp protection where fuel is used to cool them, it gets turned off if the O2 sensors are turned off in a tune.

how much fuel do you smell coming through the exhaust, is it something you can live with in a DD?
and even though it might be splitting hairs, is there a power difference by doing it this way instead of say, just turning the sensors off in the tune and not having extra fuel being dumped?

in any case, hats off to you

i dont notice much fuel smell at all even with the windows down i really cant notice it. never heard of dumping more fuel to cool the cats, seems to me it would heat them up more........

faztcobra

Established Member
Why not just run cats ? How much HP do you really think they are costing you ?
18 hp? At least in the article on the front of this site, there was the offroad H and X comparison and the H made 18hp on a tune. I figure since I'm about to tune and do it with E85, cats might cost me 20 hp.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
all is still looking good with this setup. after a full tank of gas and getting on it a good bit there is still no light on.

BryanW

Established Member
What is the benefit of running the rear 02s on, with a o/r pipe?

I always heard they get shut off with this setup, so what is the benefit of leaving the 02s turned on, no check engine light? Just turn them off would do this right?

You went this route so you dont have to change mid pipes for inspections... but your still going to change the o/r pipe before.

I must be missing something.:dw:

grabber blue gt

Established Member
You need your 02 sensors on to pass inspection. Inspection in a lot of places such as NY where I live do inspection through the OBDII port under the dash to make sure the 02 sensors are on. IF they are not you dont pass. With this setup he doesnt have to put the stop h pipe in and turn the 02 sensors on every year, he can just leave it like this and get it inspected at his leisure without any hassle of removing and swapping midpipes

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
What is the benefit of running the rear 02s on, with a o/r pipe?

I always heard they get shut off with this setup, so what is the benefit of leaving the 02s turned on, no check engine light? Just turn them off would do this right?

You went this route so you dont have to change mid pipes for inspections... but your still going to change the o/r pipe before.

I must be missing something.:dw:

the older cars could have the rear o2's disabled in the tune and still pass an inspection. new cars need the sensors to be in the pipes and working like the should. this keeps them in place and fools the sensors into thinking there are functional cats on the car

You need your 02 sensors on to pass inspection. Inspection in a lot of places such as NY where I live do inspection through the OBDII port under the dash to make sure the 02 sensors are on. IF they are not you dont pass. With this setup he doesnt have to put the stop h pipe in and turn the 02 sensors on every year, he can just leave it like this and get it inspected at his leisure without any hassle of removing and swapping midpipes

:beer: hit it right on the head!!!! there is no need to swap mid pipes before an inspection and i dont have an annoying CEL popping on every 50 miles anymore

Last edited:

BryanW

Established Member
Well i dont have mid pipes upgrades on my car so i didnt get the whole swappy thing.

Here there is no inspection in kansas, missouri does visual inspection only.

What are emissions ya'll be talking bout?:rolling::beer:

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Any update on how this setup is working out? I am looking at getting a BBR or LETHAL o/r x pipe and kooks mufflers but absolutely dont want to tune yet. Lethal is advertising that you will lose performance if you are not tuned, due to the "cat overheat sensors" and it will make the car run more rich which will hinder performance. Is this true or car I use this trick?

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Any update on how this setup is working out? I am looking at getting a BBR or LETHAL o/r x pipe and kooks mufflers but absolutely dont want to tune yet. Lethal is advertising that you will lose performance if you are not tuned, due to the "cat overheat sensors" and it will make the car run more rich which will hinder performance. Is this true or car I use this trick?

still working great for me. havent seem a CEL yet!

according to my wideband the AFR hasnt changed with this setup from the catted pipe.

not sure why the sensors would think the cat is overheating due to having them removed. maybe the amount of gas in the exhaust gas makes the computer think the cat is not working right....... anyways i dont think it will cause an issue. the sensors are pulled way out of the exhaust stream. they dont see the extra fuel that isnt being burned off and dont throw any codes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread