Have any of you guys encountered the GT350 on the track?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Just like the title states.

I would imagine the GT350 goes from the showroom floor straight to the track with little or no modification. Trying to factor out the driver how does the GT350 fair against other Mustangs as well as other makes of vehicles? I've heard nothing but praise for the car but am curious how it stacks-up against other Mustangs including the R regardless of modifications.

Steveespo

Established Member
My good friend has a '15 350R and I spent 3 days at VIR and the last 2 days at Watkins Glen with him. I have a 2011 Mustang with full JRi coilovers and a 440 whp CJ equipped engine. On comparable tires he is 7 seconds quicker at VIR. I also had my '16 GT at WG this weekend, stock PP car with race pads, Continental slicks and a GT350 intake. Again he was 7 seconds quicker than both of my cars. He runs race pads (G Loc) and Hoosier R7s but other than a roll bar and Momo seat the car is factory stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy M

Established Member
I recently did a 3 day track event at Texas World Speedway with the Track Guys and there were 5 new GT350's there - all running the road course. The sounds emanating from their exhaust pipes as they galloped past the start finish line on the front straight was simply intoxicating.

I want one!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 350 is truly in its element on the track. The cars are surprisingly fast, and with good tires (like those equipped on the R) can really break some hearts.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The 350 is truly in its element on the track. The cars are surprisingly fast, and with good tires (like those equipped on the R) can really break some hearts.

Sid

I'm surprised Bruce has not chimed in yet. Dollars-to-dounuts he's got one parked in his shop but I imagine Ford Motor Company is driving him to chapter 11 with all their new offerings their plan is to bring his bank account to it's knees :-D

I think Ford is taking the fun out of modding their cars it sounds like this thing is already at 95% rolling off the showroom floor :nonono: Most of the post in the GT350 section are limited to bitchen about dealer mark-ups, new acquisitions, color selections and how they love the car. Other then that not much to talk about it's a "turn key race car" right out of the box where all we can do is nibble around the edges with regard to mods which in some cases may be detrimental. Not much of a hobby anymore which is why I hug my Terminator everyday.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sid

I'm surprised Bruce has not chimed in yet. Dollars-to-dounuts he's got one parked in his shop but I imagine Ford Motor Company is driving him to chapter 11 with all their new offerings their plan is to bring his bank account to it's knees :-D

I think Ford is taking the fun out of modding their cars it sounds like this thing is already at 95% rolling off the showroom floor :nonono: Most of the post in the GT350 section are limited to bitchen about dealer mark-ups, new acquisitions, color selections and how they love the car. Other then that not much to talk about it's a "turn key race car" right out of the box where all we can do is nibble around the edges with regard to mods which in some cases may be detrimental. Not much of a hobby anymore which is why I hug my Terminator everyday.

There's some truth to that statement. But I feel that's something we've been dealing with since the 2011 GT500. However, the GT350's somewhat fragile engine takes it to a whole new level.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
My good friend has a '15 350R and I spent 3 days at VIR and the last 2 days at Watkins Glen with him. I have a 2011 Mustang with full JRi coilovers and a 440 whp CJ equipped engine. On comparable tires he is 7 seconds quicker at VIR. I also had my '16 GT at WG this weekend, stock PP car with race pads, Continental slicks and a GT350 intake. Again he was 7 seconds quicker than both of my cars. He runs race pads (G Loc) and Hoosier R7s but other than a roll bar and Momo seat the car is factory stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the lap time?

barstowpo

Established Member
They are fast. The Tech Pack cars suffer from transmission overheating and limp mode after a few minutes but other than that they are screamers.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Hopefully I'll be able to participate in the Ford sponsored GT350 track day at AMP...then I can chime in about the experience first hand. I've never driven AMP, hope I can get a feel for the car rather than only learning the track.

Users who are viewing this thread